Rumour Andrew Mcleod keen to play on in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Jenny - I know you've said this a few times, but I just don't buy it.

Roo played the week before against Collingwood, kicked 3 goals, and without his final term we don't even make the finals in 2007.

He wasn't gifted his 312th game. He earned it by the way he played in his 311th game.

I disagree. He'd struggled to get on the park all year, playing just 9 games. He'd played R21 and R22 (having played only 5 games from round 10-15 and averaging just 12 touches) and had 11 and 13 disposals respectively. He was clearly limited in his movement - and, in my opinion (I appreciate yours differs) he should not have played in that elimination final. Turns out, I was right.

A few points here:

1. McLeod, being an outside list veteran, does not push someone else off the list.

2. To play on next year, both the club and the man have to be willing.

Now, give me some reasons why the club wouldn't want to keep him as a veteran, manage his playing time and use him as a 'pinch hitter' so to speak. I can't think of any.

I say if he wants to, let him.

I disagree. He'd struggled to get on the park all year, playing just 9 games. He'd played R21 and R22 (having played only 5 games from round 10-15 and averaging just 12 touches) and had 11 and 13 disposals respectively. He was clearly limited in his movement - and, in my opinion (I appreciate yours differs) he should not have played in that elimination final. Turns out, I was right.

I agree the Roo of 2007 didn't move like the Roo of 2001.

But to judge the output of a guy playing as a forward on how many disposals he had? If 12 disposals or thereabouts is not a good return, neither Tippett nor Jaensch contributed enough on Saturday.....

His history of injuries in 2007 is also largely irrelevant to his selection for that final. Was he fit? In hindsight, no (like Burton last year), but he'd played OK and trained. Was he in the best 22? On the form against Collingwood, clearly yes. Did he deserve selection? Yes. Did he perform? No.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back