Player Watch Andrew McPherson

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like Jake Kelly :oops:
Nothing like Kelly as he is a decent kick.

Good decision maker who can both defend & attack.

Will be a quality player if his body stays sound.

Last edited:

SmeggySmeg

Draftee
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like that he seems to be able to both attack and defend.

99% of our defenders are either one or the other.

this is so so so true, still after 3 coaches cannot believe we think we can play tals, brown, Kelly and harto in same backline, run off backline is so important and none of them can use the ball fast and forwards

this is so so so true, still after 3 coaches cannot believe we think we can play tals, brown, Kelly and harto in same backline, run off backline is so important and none of them can use the ball fast and forwards
Yes, we have had our defence balance so wrong. A lack of players who can use the ball has blunted our ball movement & our forwards/scoring has suffered as a result.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, we have had our defence balance so wrong. A lack of players who can use the ball has blunted our ball movement & our forwards/scoring has suffered as a result.
It's really been a weird obsession having the third tall plus Kelly for so many years.

We've always run two key defenders, third tall (lever, Doedee, Keath), Kelly, lock down small (Brown) and two less accountable attacking defenders (Laird and Smith).

That's incredibly lop sided given none of our key defenders or Kelly have been attacking footballers. Really of the third talls, only Keath really provided much offense. You could even argue he took too long to make a decision and went long more often than not.

Kelly has just been this weird given in our structure, and we'd rather move back Milera or Dmac than draft/develop a balanced defender. Now we've got both Hamill and McPherson in the side, but have retained all of the players that have seen the structure been so geared toward dour defence rather than rebound.

Adelaide never fail to frustrate.

It's really been a weird obsession having the third tall plus Kelly for so many years.

We've always run two key defenders, third tall (lever, Doedee, Keath), Kelly, lock down small (Brown) and two less accountable attacking defenders (Laird and Smith).

That's incredibly lop sided given none of our key defenders or Kelly have been attacking footballers. Really of the third talls, only Keath really provided much offense. You could even argue he took too long to make a decision and went long more often than not.

Kelly has just been this weird given in our structure, and we'd rather move back Milera or Dmac than draft/develop a balanced defender. Now we've got both Hamill and McPherson in the side, but have retained all of the players that have seen the structure been so geared toward dour defence rather than rebound.

Adelaide never fail to frustrate.
Agree being saying for a long time there is not room for both Kelly & Brown in our side. One has to go.

Would look more balanced with....

B: Brown, Talia, McAsey/Worrell
HB: McPherson, Doedee, Hamill
Bench: Sholl

We need to look to develop a new balanced defensive unit & that means playing the younger guys now.

Mileratkinsshow

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would love McPherson to play for he rest of the season. A number on here were saying he should be delisted which irritated me, although I understood their impatience.
I’ve seen him playa few SANFL games and he seems so composed. He will mistakes but I imagine his DE will be very good on the whole. Bring in Sholl next and we should be starting to address our turnover count significantly.
May make it harder for Kelly and Laird to get a game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

phill5158

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would love McPherson to play for he rest of the season. A number on here were saying he should be delisted which irritated me, although I understood their impatience.
I’ve seen him playa few SANFL games and he seems so composed. He will mistakes but I imagine his DE will be very good on the whole. Bring in Sholl next and we should be starting to address our turnover count significantly.
May make it harder for Kelly and Laird to get a game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I admit I was one of those but the club have kept persisting with him for a reason. I agree with you, should play him the rest of the season and definitely would like Sholl to get a look in as well. Would be nice to have a defence that has better skills and more efficient.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see why BigH rated him a first rounder

Yup. If Moose can stay fit, the future is bright for him. I do wonder about upside but easily enough there to have a 10+ year career.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
What is amazing is that when you select players that actually played in the back lines at junior level like Hamill and McPherson they actually look comfortable in the back lines at AFL level, a real novel thought from the recruiting team for the first time in about a decade

Nah back lines is where you send your over the hill senior players to keep them in the side. Young players have to earn their stripes playing in the hardest position on the ground... HFF 🙄

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yup. If Moose can stay fit, the future is bright for him. I do wonder about upside but easily enough there to have a 10+ year career.
He'll get better, and will start to attack once the confidence rises. He won't be another Hamill but doesn't need to be.

40porpoise

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Genuine question but was he really that good yesterday? I only saw him a couple of times. Didn’t make any mistakes but didn’t do anything that made me think wow

hugecannon

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Genuine question but was he really that good yesterday? I only saw him a couple of times. Didn’t make any mistakes but didn’t do anything that made me think wow
For his first game, against a quality team (albeit down on form) and given how much football he has missed in the last 3-4 years he was good - clean with the ball, composed, made good decisions.

Theres a lot to build on from that.

He doesn't seem like a "wow" player at all.

Still you need dependable people in the backline and McPherson should be that. Kelly's career could be in a lot of strife if he stays fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back