Player Watch Andrew McPherson

Remove this Banner Ad

QUOTE BISHOP
McPherson I've been a big fan of since last year. I think it was the SA v WA game at Football Park which really caught my eye. Had him in the mix as a first rounder earlier in the year, but his constant injuries probably means he slips closer to a 3rd rounder. Good ball user, makes good decisions. Hard to judge him off limited viewing this year too - but I like what he brings. Can play anywhere from small defender to inside midfielder. Know Blues are keen on adding another HBF - but think it's more in a sense wanting a LF running defender in a Kade Simpson mould. They've got Pick 37, ideally they'd like Stoddart to be there - but gut feel is he's gone by then. McPherson would be a decent addition - as would Adam Saad if they went down that route in the terms of trade.

Neither Hunter or ROB are going to be long term AFL prospects.

In your opinion. No point having a developing ruck if he's not going to get any game time as a ruckman in the 2's. Better off just running with what we have now, at least for this year, and when Jacobs retires probably just trading for a replacement if ROB/Hunter aren't up to scratch. Although I think ROB will be.

Neither Hunter or ROB are going to be long term AFL prospects.
You don't know that. O'Brien has looked more than capable in the few games he has played. And we re-committed to Hunter. Look at most of the starting ruckman in the league. Most are cheap pick ups. I don't think it's an area to really stress about. If the next Grundy or Nic-Nat pops up and is from SA, then sure do everything we can to grab them. Otherwise project ruckman are the way to go.

You don't know that. O'Brien has looked more than capable in the few games he has played. And we re-committed to Hunter. Look at most of the starting ruckman in the league. Most are cheap pick ups. I don't think it's an area to really stress about. If the next Grundy or Nic-Nat pops up and is from SA, then sure do everything we can to grab them. Otherwise project ruckman are the way to go.
ROB is an average SANFL ruckman at the moment, and represents the dinosaur ruckman that is on the outer. He will get destroyed around the ground by players like Grundy, Nic Nat and Gawn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think what I like about this guy most is that he is really good over that 20-30m range with his kicking, something most struggle with. Looks to be very safe with the ball in hand, and composed too.

ROB is an average SANFL ruckman at the moment, and represents the dinosaur ruckman that is on the outer. He will get destroyed around the ground by players like Grundy, Nic Nat and Gawn.
right now, one or two rule tweaks and he could be the next big thing.

Needs to actually play some games first
well sure, not saying he's a sure thing by any means - just that the archetypal ruckman can change with the breeze along with the rules of the game.

right now, one or two rule tweaks and he could be the next big thing.
Relying on rule changes isnt how you put together a list. I see him as a reserve level backup ruckman. I dont see him as a first 22 ruckman.
JJ is 29 next year, Sauce is 30. Hunter and ROB in no way replace these two. Dear hasnt shown enough yet and Himmelberg is still raw. Neither are ready or guarenteed to make it yet.
We should have found a far better young ruckman by now with our list management.

Obviously just looking at the highlights but as mentioned previously, you can defo see some similarities to Brodie Smith...those short sharp first steps as he bursts away when he first gets the ball...maybe a bit more of a natural defender than Smith...

Relying on rule changes isnt how you put together a list. I see him as a reserve level backup ruckman. I dont see him as a first 22 ruckman.
JJ is 29 next year, Sauce is 30. Hunter and ROB in no way replace these two. Dear hasnt shown enough yet and Himmelberg is still raw. Neither are ready or guarenteed to make it yet.
We should have found a far better young ruckman by now with our list management.
no I agree, but the reality is any half decent ruck takes years to develop and ROB is no worse than the Angus Graham-recycled-backups of this world - much better in actual fact.

As others have noted, it is rather eerie how he sorta moves a bit like Smith and Brown. It's a shame he's not a couple of centimetres taller. Quality utility players are undervalued

Remove this Banner Ad

Back