Traded Andrew Phillips [traded to Essendon with #61 and #72 for #57 and #70]

Remove this Banner Ad

Has a one year deal in front of him at Carlton but hasn't taken it yet.

Essendon apparently into him since our ruck depth sucks atm.

Essendon's search for a back-up ruckman has seen the Bombers meet with out-of-contract Carlton big man Andrew Phillips.

After missing out to St Kilda for Paddy Ryder, the Bombers are looking for added ruck depth behind Tom Bellchambers and Sam Draper, who will return from an ACL reconstruction in 2020.

The Bombers have explored the potential of recruiting the 201cm Blue who played five matches this season.

Phillips has been offered a one-year deal to remain at Ikon Park but at 28, is seeking two years for added career security.

The former Giant, who was in the Harbour City from 2012-2015, sits second in the Blues' pecking order behind Matthew Kreuzer. Former Power big man Matthew Lobbe was delisted from the Blues last month.

He will find a club elsewhere. Phillips looks like he has all the tools to be a successful ruckman...he can run, jump and mark, plus his skills are OK. However he hasn't been able to string it all together consistently and is an average contributor in our lowly VFL side. Token pick probably

Would be a good move to go to Essendon. Stuck behind Kruezer and would give Bellchambers a challenge for number 1 ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips wants two years, but we are only willing to give him one at this stage.

Can play - and is a much better footballer than Clarke. I would be happy to keep him on a one year deal but if he can get more elsewhere, good luck to him.

Not worth much, I'd take a pick in the 60s for him.

Phillips wants two years, but we are only willing to give him one at this stage.

Can play - and is a much better footballer than Clarke. I would be happy to keep him on a one year deal but if he can get more elsewhere, good luck to him.

Pick 67 done deal.

I have him slightly higher than that and i reckon he is worth more to us as our No.2 ruck than what a pick in the 60's is.

He is very handy and did well as our first ruck when Matty was out this season. I can see our point of view with only a 1yr deal as TDK is being groomed very quickly to over take him soon.

I can understand if he leaves for a longer term deal but he is worth more than a pick in the 60's to team that has rubbish rucks and require his services instantly. We should be asking slight Overs for him and see what happens.

Carlton should give him two years

De Koning won't come on for that period in any event, and Kreuzer is a day-to-day proposition

He's solid backup. A key component to the Fish Cripps and Sauce midfield

I'm one of the Carlton supporters who think Phillips is a 4/10 AFL ruckman and an acceptable break glass backup ruck option.

There's definately a camp that think he is a 2/10 though.

If he stays for 12 months i'm fine enough with it. If someone else "steals" him away.....meh.

Not sure what others were seeing or what they're judging him on, but when he played this year, he was a solid 7, pushing 8 at times. Was excellent in a few games when given the chance in a lead role.

Would be good to see him get the #1 spot at another club, to see if he shines across a full season. IMO, both Sydney clubs should be interested (a return to GWS might make sense), along with Essendon, St Kilda, Bulldogs and Fremantle.

Had an OK 2016, but is just an average ruckman who will have good moments but also games where he may as well not be on the field.

He’s a surprisingly good set shot though.

Considering Carlton really dont have a decent backup to Kreuzer and TDK not ready yet and probably a good thing not to throw him into the ruck at a young age its probably worth giving him 2 years TDK should be ready in 2 years and the time line is probably perfect.

I'm one of the Carlton supporters who think Phillips is a 4/10 AFL ruckman and an acceptable break glass backup ruck option.

If he stays for 12 months i'm fine enough with it. If someone else "steals" him away.....meh.
There's also a camp, might just be me, that considers him a 0/10 and shouldn't be on an afl list. Just isn't good at anything.

Do you have another back up? Kreuzer is prone to injury.

Carlton are stupid by not offering this guy 2 years, Has SOS had a blonde moment?

1) Kruezer injury prone
2) Tom De-Koning hasnt shown anything that he'll be a Number 1 Ruck

this is where Carlton should keep Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Back