Society/Culture Andrew Thorburn - Controversial appointment as Essendon CEO. Broader discussion not for the AFL board..

Remove this Banner Ad

And has now whored himself out with a Daily Wire long term deal. Sell out.

Still calls himself a professor and lecturer despite "resigning" (like Thorburn) like 2 years ago.
He stands for truth, for science, decency, for common sense. It’s no wonder you don’t like him.

We have another thread for Jordan Peterson discussion:

This thread is for discussion of Essendon's recently resigned CEO. Any subsequent conversation about Peterson will be moved to that thread.

Thanks all!

We have another thread for Jordan Peterson discussion:

This thread is for discussion of Essendon's recently resigned CEO. Any subsequent conversation about Peterson will be moved to that thread.

Thanks all!

This should be good

Who do you think sets the theological agenda at a church?

I think that's a more complex answer than you thought when you thought you were posting a gotcha.

The theological agenda is obviously set by the priest/pastor - but it sits within a broader agenda of administration, advocacy & charity, social issues, and strategic direction.

So whatever the pastor/priest sets as a theological agenda sits within the confines of the church's broader agenda, which is set by the Archdiocese, the CEO/Board, or whoever it is that employs the priest or pastor.

I think that's a more complex answer than you thought when you thought you were posting a gotcha.

The theological agenda is obviously set by the priest/pastor - but it sits within a broader agenda of administration, advocacy & charity, social issues, and strategic direction.

So whatever the pastor/priest sets as a theological agenda sits within the confines of the church's broader agenda, which is set by the Archdiocese, the CEO/Board, or whoever it is that employs the priest or pastor.

What's the source on that?

I didn’t post it as a gotcha and I agree, it is complex – particularly in a so called “low Anglican” church where archdiocese oversight is not as omnipresent. I think this whole conversation is much more complex than the headlines most people are relying on to form their opinions.

What's the source on that?

I don't know how to provide a source on common knowledge... My nan ran a tiny church in a tiny town (that only continued to exist thanks to her dedication), I went to a high school overseen by an Archdiocese, it'll surprise some in this thread to read that one of my old mates from home is on the board of one of these new happy clapper churches.

I don't know how to provide a source on common knowledge... My nan ran a tiny church in a tiny town (that only continued to exist thanks to her dedication), I went to a high school overseen by an Archdiocese, it'll surprise some in this thread to read that one of my old mates from home is on the board of one of these new happy clapper churches.

That's interesting the agenda is set by the CEO/Board

That's interesting the agenda is set by the CEO/Board

As I said, they set the broader administrative and strategic (+ financial) agenda - the theological agenda sits beneath that.

Especially in some of these “new age” churches - but I post that along with the brackets above without further comment…

As I said, they set the broader administrative and strategic (+ financial) agenda - the theological agenda sits beneath that.

Especially in some of these “new age” churches - but I post that along with the brackets above without further comment…

Interesting he says he doesn't always agree with what he hears in church.

If he's writing the sermons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First they came for the Christians, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Christian.

Thorburn's in a death camp now?

ron burgundy GIF

Firstly I understand why this has happened, its more of a fiscal decision than anything, the outcry may cost them dough ultimately. Weird they may not have anticipated this but not surprised given how shithouse Essendon have been at managing anything recently.

I did wonder how he lasted so long at NAB with his church links though, that industry is certainly very much aligned with diversity and inclusion, i wonder if it ever came up when he was there?

Firstly I understand why this has happened, its more of a fiscal decision than anything, the outcry may cost them dough ultimately. Weird they may not have anticipated this but not surprised given how shithouse Essendon have been at managing anything recently.

I did wonder how he lasted so long at NAB with his church links though, that industry is certainly very much aligned with diversity and inclusion, i wonder if it ever came up when he was there?

A poster on the EFC board did a timeline, looks like after he 'resigned' from NAB he took on a bunch of board type seats all at once, one of which was City On A Hill.

So prior to that he was just a normal church-goer who didn't appear to bring his beliefs in to a professional setting.

This is also not a thread to discuss transgenderism.

I'd suggest that those not familiar with the SRP could run their eyes over the board specific rules, to avoid running headlong into some dangerous waters.

A poster on the EFC board did a timeline, looks like after he 'resigned' from NAB he took on a bunch of board type seats all at once, one of which was City On A Hill.

So prior to that he was just a normal church-goer who didn't appear to bring his beliefs in to a professional setting.

Yeah I actually looked up his LinkedIn and he left NAB a few years ago, like you say he has some of those board positions listed after this, interesting.

Yeah I actually looked up his LinkedIn and he left NAB a few years ago, like you say he has some of those board positions listed after this, interesting.

Found the post;

Timeline wise:
  • 2002: Thorburn becomes a Christian (baptised Anglican)
  • 2007: Church on a Hill established as part of the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne
  • 2008: Thorburn becomes CEO of Bank of New Zealand
  • 2013: Church on a hill publishes sermons about abortion and LGBTQI+
  • 2014: Thorburn becomes CEO of NAB, moves back to Melbourne and joins Church on a Hill
  • 2014-2019: NAB: commits as Principal Partner with Midsummer Festival Melbourne, hosts LGBTI+ friendly spaces at Midsumma, wins Chairman's Award for Diversity & Inclusion, supports inaugural AFL Pride Game, sponsors the regional Pride Cup, group of employees including Thorburn attend Mardi Gras, wins Silver award in Australian Workplace Equality Index, moves from top 20 in 2014 to 3rd place in the Workplace Equality Index in 2019, as well as participating meaningfully from at least 2018 in IDAHOBIT, Wear it Purple, World Aids Day, International Transgender Day of Visibility, and started their own NAB Pride Day
  • 2019: Thorburn quits/fired from CEO role at NAB due to the Banking Royal Commission
  • 2020: Thorburn becomes Chair at Church on a Hill, Executive Director of For Purpose Investment Partners, and Senior Advisor at Boston Consulting Group
  • 2021: Thorburn becomes Chairman of Catalyst Education, Chairman of Sentient Impact Group
  • 2022: Thorburn becomes CEO of Essendon FC
He's been in these sort of leadership and governance roles since the mid-1980s, and suddenly becomes available in 2019, taking similar roles at a whole bunch of little non-profits and niche climate and social progress investment groups.

Presumably now he's CEO again he won't have time to do all that stuff, the consulting and investing stuff probably goes first but I could see the role at the church being wound up as well, even without this furore. You've only got 168 hours in a week no matter who you are.

First they came for the Christians, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Christian.
Alas that we live in a post satire world, but I do hope you're not serious.
Doesn't the quote mean the opposite?

It's starts slow by removing items like Nazi Germany and ends with death camps.

I think OP was getting at; we are at pre WW2 stage
This is inside your top 10 silliest posts, Marcel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back