News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

leondari

Draftee
Sep 16, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think there should be some kind of background checks to see if they have fascist/nazi beliefs as well.

Certainly look at his track record as a CEO. It's not very good, quite disgraceful actually. He ripped a lot of people off.
And who will define who is a fascist ?
People like u I suppose ?

Jammer

All Australian
Jun 26, 2007
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Stop saying “belonging to a church”. He does not merely belong to this church.
Link to her statement that she's against homesexuality?

You mean the way Gary Ablett was when he liked Israel Folau's post that gays were going to hell? That's a pretty public stance you are "against homosexuality"

Actually my reply implied the other poster was right and you are wrong ;-)
I will give you one very simple task
Link a Thorburn statement anywhere that even hints at him being homophobic??

You have no proof whats so ever. Its not enough to Lynch mob someone through association with a Church
you and I don't like with a backward doctrine regardless if he is a chair or not.
You have absolutely no idea what input he does or does not have at that Church... everything is a guess.
Don't bore me with a church website. Thousands of wonderful people belong to church's but don't believe their stance
on homosexuality and reproduction

The point is if you cancel Thorburn with no evidence I have no idea how you can justify the AWFL girl
who made a public stance she would not play in the pride round under the pride jumper.

SBYM

Fish, chips, cup o' tea, Mary @#? Poppins. London!
Oct 9, 2009
BR2
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Another 70 pages of hilarity in double quick time.

My God...geddit...Essington has been kind to BigFooty over the years.

Dave

Premium Platinum
Feb 8, 2000
Windy Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
So do you think its the general opinion of the posters in here that agree he can't hold the position that

- Its his position as Chairman that makes this untenable, not any actual belief he has or association with the church, So hypothetically he could just attend the church, and have strong anti gay views, but that would be alright because he has no official affiliation? But if he's in an administrational role with the Church, but he doesn't hold these views, and from his actions in a previous role he actively portrayed that he doesn't uphold these views, that's not OK?

So its merely just the fact he is seen as a representative of the organisation that holds these views, rather than what his personal views may or may not be?

One position requires you to lead an inclusive organisation that welcomes people of all sexual orientation and preference.

One position requires you to lead an exclusive organisation that condemns people bases on their sexual orientation and preference.

Not hard to work out they're incompatible, is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

leondari

Draftee
Sep 16, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You have got to be kidding me.

Andrew Thorburn resigns as there was a campaign to boycott the club because of his perceived Christian values, its cancel culture at its finest.

What if he belonged to a mosque or synagogue who shares the same religious views?
Would this happen, or is purely toward straight white Christian men?

And really, Dan Andrews publically slamming Thorburn.. surely that has to be a joke. Would he publicly denounce any CEO in the Muslim community for having similar beliefs?

Thorburn even openly said

“There’s a diversity of people. Different races, sexual orientations, faiths & cultures, that’s society. My role as CEO is to ensure that the organisations that I lead, which I think my record stands for this, are inclusive & welcoming & diverse.”

Lots of armchair critics on this forum. Freedom of thought and liberty are now out the window. And this comes from the same people who talk of tolerance and inclusion but can’t see past their own bigotry.
Perfectly said

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And who will define who is a fascist ?
People like u I suppose ?
1664942499281.png

projectv

mostly nonsense
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
The AFL's always carrying on about inclusion & diversity, in fact it seems to be their number priority these days, but now they're basically saying No Christian's allowed. Why don't they just sack Bachar Houli for being a Muslim while they're at it!

They aren't saying that at all, that's just your victim complex blurring your vision.

Dave

Premium Platinum
Feb 8, 2000
Windy Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
I will give you one very simple task
Link a Thorburn statement anywhere that even hints at him being homophobic??

You have no proof whats so ever. Its not enough to Lynch mob someone through association with a Church
you and I don't like with a backward doctrine regardless if he is a chair or not.
You have absolutely no idea what input he does or does not have at that Church... everything is a guess.
Don't bore me with a church website. Thousands of wonderful people belong to church's but don't believe their stance
on homosexuality and reproduction

The point is if you cancel Thorburn with no evidence I have no idea how you can justify the AWFL girl
who made a public stance she would not play in the pride round under the pride jumper.

"Don't bore me with a church website." lol I don't give a flying for crying out loud how many wonderful people belongs to churchs.

He leads one. One that preaches against inclusivity. That's all the evidence I need to agree he shouldn't be the leader of a group that has inclusivity as one of its core tennets. And that's without the banking stiff also precludes him.

It's not a "lynch mob", I'm not advocating he be hung. And no one cancelled him, he chose to stand down as CEO of Essendon rather than as chair of the church board. He cancelled himself.

Enough of the emotive language. One might think you're a, gasp, snowflake.

Not me but. I'm not judgey like that.

branedotorg

Premium Platinum
Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
If you don’t believe the Bible then ur not a Christian,
Simple as
Leviticus 19:19 and Deuteronomy 22:11 said:
“You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind. You shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor shall you wear a garment of cloth made of two kinds of material.

“You shall not sow your vineyard with two kinds of seed, lest the whole yield be forfeited, the crop that you have sown and the yield of the vineyard. You shall not plow with an ox and a donkey together. You shall not wear cloth of wool and linen mixed together.

Jammer

All Australian
Jun 26, 2007
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
"Don't bore me with a church website." lol I don't give a flying for crying out loud how many wonderful people belongs to churchs.

He leads one. One that preaches against inclusivity. That's all the evidence I need to agree he shouldn't be the leader of a group that has inclusivity as one of its core tennets. And that's without the banking stiff also precludes him.

It's not a "lynch mob", I'm not advocating he be hung. And no one cancelled him, he chose to stand down as CEO of Essendon rather than as chair of the church board. He cancelled himself.

Enough of the emotive language. One might think you're a, gasp, snowflake.

Not me but. I'm not judgey like that.
Hows that link coming along for just one remotely homophobic statement?
Your knowledge of him leading the church, you will be able to tell me what his input and actual role is ?

Dave

Premium Platinum
Feb 8, 2000
Windy Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Hows that link coming along for just one remotely homophobic statement?
Your knowledge of him leading the church, you will be able to tell me what his input and actual role is ?

Why? Am I under some sort of obligation to satisfy you as to the legitimacy of my opinion?

Remove this Banner Ad