News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

The Announcement (so I can link from an information post)

Dear members

On behalf of the Board, I am pleased to formally announce the appointment of Andrew Thorburn as the club’s Chief Executive Officer.

When I became President, we stated that we would be bold and decisive in our action and this appointment represents another significant step forward for the club.

In Andrew, we have secured a highly credentialed leader, with a proven track record in development and building the leadership capabilities of his people.

Andrew’s focus will be on running Essendon like a club, with a renewed focus on our members and the core reason which we exist – football.

Our recent appointments of Brad Scott and today with Andrew, demonstrate our commitment to leadership and providing the right environment to ensure we achieve sustained success as a club.

Andrew is a man of great integrity and exceptional vison. He brings significant business acumen having led many large complex organisations, most notably as CEO of NAB from 2014-2019, and Bank of NZ from 2008-2014. More recently, he has been involved with start-ups, entrepreneurs and a number of not-for-profit organisations.

He has been involved with the game for a long-time through the NAB partnership of the AFL. He impressed the board with his understanding of the AFL system but also the business of sport on a global scale. Most importantly though, Andrew has demonstrated throughout his business career that he can execute the priorities that the organisation has.

We are incredibly excited to welcome Andrew and his family into the Essendon Football Club. He is a lifelong Bombers supporter and we look forward to our members meeting him and understanding his incredible passion for our club.

The process to find our next CEO was comprehensive and led by EY, with the support of club director Dorothy Hisgrove.

Part of my responsibility as President is to ensure that we have the very best people at the club and this was critical when it came to the position of CEO. To do this, we canvassed the industry and encouraged several candidates to enter the process for this role.

One of the people we asked to join the process was Andrew. Whilst he initially came to the club on a short-term basis to coordinate the external review, we believed we couldn’t overlook someone of his calibre and that he needed to be tested within our process against the field of candidates.

When Andrew was approached, he indicated that he would give the opportunity his consideration. At this point, he immediately removed himself from any oversight he had of the club’s CEO search. A week later, he formally entered the process and then interviewed for the role last week, along with the other candidates.

The Board were then presented with a comprehensive review of the candidates via our EY representatives. We then met as a Board this morning to consider these individuals and appointed Andrew Thorburn to lead our club.

Andrew will commence in his role on November 1.

Finally, tonight is the Crichton Medal. The event will be live streamed for our members on the club website.

It’s a night for us to celebrate the players and their efforts throughout the season. You will also hear from our new senior coach Brad Scott and CEO Andrew Thorburn. I’m looking forward to seeing you there tonight and also for those tuning in online.

Thank you and go Bombers!

Dave Barham

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
This isn't a surprising revelation. A few of coterie group members are probably members of these pay to pray institutions and we're fully aware what they were doing. Taking care of one of their own.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
As opposed to stripping men of their procreative autonomy by giving them 0 say?

No I’m not talking about rape here I think it’s a separate moral sphere.

I am talking about the idea that two consenting adults take the necessary steps to create a life: men can’t carry a baby. They don’t get a say in that. It doesn’t make them any less the child’s parent.
Yes. It is a completely established concept in bioethics that the bodily autonomy of the woman is far more important than that of the man. That isn't even where any of the contention comes from typically, that being the definition of life, the validity of gestational limits, viability vs autonomy.

The main idea being that that of Judith Jarvis Thomson's: pregnant women are under no obligation to continue a pregnancy in any case.

Thorburn joined ASB Bank in AUCKLAND, NZ in 1986. He moved to Sydney to join the Commonwealth Bank of Australia in 1997, and then joined St George Bank in 2002. He moved to NAB in January 2005 as Head of Retail Banking. In 2008 he was appointed to be CEO of BNZ, and in 2014 the CEO of NAB.[1]

At NAB, he moved to divest of non-core assets[3] and focus on Aust/NZ. He launched a transformation of NAB in 2017 involving greater investment in technology, a reduction in costs, and an investment in business banking.[4][5]

The period overlapped with the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking and Superannuation industry. Thorburn resigned from NAB in February 2019 after the final report of the Royal Commission. At the time, he said “As CEO I understand accountability. I have always sought to act in the best interests of the bank and customers and I know that I have always acted with integrity. However, I recognise there is a desire for change”.[6] Some sources indicated Thornburn did not resign voluntarily but rather was pressured by the NAB board.[7]

DID ANYONE KNOW HE IS A KIWI?????

geoffjennings79

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You have absolutely no idea if he is Anti Gay. He has literally said he does not agree with everything the Church does.

How is he a religious nut job anymore than anyone else who goes to church is?
He doesn't just "attend" the church as you've posted several times now - he is the chairman, so in a position of leadership. How can someone in a leadership role at an organisation absolve themselves of the beliefs or practices of the organisation, or claim he doesn't agree with everything it does? Surely as a leader, he has been in a position to change those beliefs/actions?

nipst@r

All Australian
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Wonder how many of these will cancel their membership and for how long if and when he isn't sacked and Essendon make the 8......

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think this is a great point. If successful itl be forgotten, if unsuccessful will be ammunition.

Ultimately members/supporters/sponsors choose to support the club and think financially stable and some on-field success makes people forget values pretty quickly.

Same with banks - money laundering, unethical behaviour takes a backward seat if your getting a bigger dividend as a shareholder or better interest rate as a customer.

Who is keen on the Qatar world cup? 😱

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think this is a great point. If successful itl be forgotten, if unsuccessful will be ammunition.

Ultimately members/supporters/sponsors choose to support the club and think financially stable and some on-field success makes people forget values pretty quickly.

Same with banks - money laundering, unethical behaviour takes a backward seat if your getting a bigger dividend as a shareholder or better interest rate as a customer.

Who is keen on the Qatar world cup? 😱
I look forward to what he does when a player comes out

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
No idea, just like you don't know if he is a homophobe even though you have called him one....

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
If someone is a member of the KKK I'm pretty sure they are racist, we don't need to have them put it into writing. If you head up a church that preaches hate, you are a bigoted prick.

Last edited:

geoffjennings79

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has he even said he doesn't agree with their beliefs on homosexuality and abortion?
I'm taking the poster I quoted on good faith, as he was the one claiming this, I only quoted his words (should have highlighted that). I take your point though, not sure how the leader of a church can claim he doesn't agree with beliefs when as a leader he is in a position to influence and/or drive those beliefs anyway. It's a bizarre claim if he's made it.

nipst@r

All Australian
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon again prove that they are a morally bankrupt organisation. They have a long history of cheating the salary cap, performance-enhancing drugs (Hird and Watsons Brownlows), and systematically drug cheating, now they appoint a hate-filled nutter as their CEO. The sooner this cancerous club is kicked out of the completion the better.
Geez I'm a very critical bombers supporter but this is borderline conspiracy theory. Hirds coaching career but his playing career?

Kicking us out of the comp haha isn't 20 years of mediocrity enough. Why you so salty?

Yeah we are in the news a lot but largely were pretty irrevelant these days.

Your team the dees really should have bigger fish to fry and shouldn't be worried about ess at least for a couple more years anyway

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Having a look at their web site, it's one of those evangelic grifter churches for der yoof.

View attachment 1526194
he bowls, yeah?

the-jesus-rolls.jpg

Back