News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop avoiding the question. What is sacrosanct about belief?

Belief, after all, is merely someone saying “I don’t know the meaning of life any more than anyone else, but this is what I’ve decided to believe”.

What is so precious about that?
It is sacrosanct if the belief is true and your death or life depends on it.

Science doesn’t claim to have all the answers.

But any fool can see that in the several centuries since the start of the Enlightenment, science has been running rings round religion in respect of answers to the big questions.

LOL compare that to religion with its “we just don’t know. So it must be god!!”

And with rubbish like that theologians want to be considered intellectuals!
Wrong, theologians 'do know why it must be God.' SBD Conzalez is just a little bit clueless on the subject - even admitting science doesn't have all the answers. That is because humans do not understand the knowledge of God, but when Jesus returns and the truth is revealed, they will mourn in agony for eternity.

Last edited:
A purpose, a moral code, comfort, community, order, an explanation for the biggest question that remains unanswered

An incorrect explanation for the biggest questions that remain, and all those other features can be obtained in the community without lumping a non-existent God and all the baggage that is associated with religion.

Organised religion has always been a way to control the masses. Do what we say or you are a sinner and will be damned to hell for eternity. The amount of psychological trauma done to people because of religion is disgusting

Wrong, theologians 'do know why it must be God.' SBD Conzalez is just a little bit clueless on the subject - even admitting science doesn't have all the answers. That is because humans do not understand the knowledge of God, but when Jesus returns and the truth is revealed, they will mourn in agony for eternity.
Another intellectual copout. Need to work on your match fitness mate, you’re shirking contests.

Do theologians know when Essendon will win their next final? I've been mourning in agony over the quest for near 20 years.

"Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you bald head! Go up, you bald head!” So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the Lord. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths."

Story checks out...my apologies
As a balding man, that's my idea of living the dream. It's badass!

Another intellectual copout. Need to work on your match fitness mate, you’re shirking contests.
It’s not a cop out, humans don’t have the intellectual capacity to know all God knows. Just imagine for a second you believe in God as real, humans not having the same understanding, this would make sense would it not? I am not shirking contests, I am a teacher who only has so much time to argue with an atheist. Atheists are more times than not, rigid and hard work.

It’s not a cop out, humans don’t have the intellectual capacity to know all God knows. Just imagine for a second you believe in God as real, humans not having the same understanding, this would make sense would it not? I am not shirking contests, I am a teacher who only has so much time to argue with an atheist. Atheists are more times than not, rigid and hard work.
You’re saying it’s impossible to know the mind of god so we must believe in god.

Not sure you’re even aware of the logical knots you’re tangling yourself up in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re saying it’s impossible to know the mind of god so we must believe in god.

Not sure you’re even aware of the logical knots you’re tangling yourself up in.
That’s not what I said… I was responding to your admittance that science does not have all the answers. This is because God does. If science doesn't have all the answers to create the world, then what does? Not sure you’re even aware of the logical knots you’re tangling yourself up in.

Last edited:
That’s not what I said… I was responding to your admittance that science does not have all the answers, but God does. Not sure you’re even aware of the logical knots you’re tangling yourself up in.
Great, just prove the existence of “god”, like scientists provide proof for their theories, and your post won’t be intellectually worthless.

That’s not what I said… I was responding to your admittance that science does not have all the answers, but God does. Not sure you’re even aware of the logical knots you’re tangling yourself up in.
So you don’t/we can’t know the mind of God but you know God has all the answers because God told someone he had and that person wrote that down.

Who vetted that person?

That’s not what I said… I was responding to your admittance that science does not have all the answers. This is because God does. If science doesn't have all the answers to create the world, then what does? Not sure you’re even aware of the logical knots you’re tangling yourself up in.

I'm pretty sure SBD was saying science has answers that can be backed up with evidence and religion has answers that can't. If you believe God created the Universe and your reasoning is your faith, then any other religion which has a creation myth is equally valid. Presumably you don't believe in any of these (except for the Hebrew one of course).

An incorrect explanation for the biggest questions that remain, and all those other features can be obtained in the community without lumping a non-existent God and all the baggage that is associated with religion.

Organised religion has always been a way to control the masses. Do what we say or you are a sinner and will be damned to hell for eternity. The amount of psychological trauma done to people because of religion is disgusting
It is an explanation, probably not correct but at least with some historic clout. The features would not exist if not for religion. Would humanity have got there by now with out it? Impossible to say.

The power vacuum as religion peters out will be replaced by another ideology perhaps not linked to a deity but probably also designed to control the masses.

Most people want a secular society but are increasingly tying themselves to a side of politics. Politics are becoming more and more polarising. If political ideology replaces religious ideology, can a government be truly secular?

Yep it’s more easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle, then it is for a rich man to enter heaven. That is why the rich man, along with all men need the power of the cross. It is then, and only then, when anything is possible.

This bloke is as high as a MF’er. What the fu*k is this nonsense!

As an aside, pretty hard to enter something that doesn’t exist. A better proverb would be “it’s easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than it is for a Big Footy poster to enter Emily Ratajkowski”.

This is becoming a bit of a pile on, I’m out.
GOTHELIONS16 no need to answer my question.
I’ll cast it into the sea of forgetfulness
Everyone else, don’t forget…
“Blessed are the Cheesemakers”

Great, just prove the existence of “god”, like scientists provide proof for their theories, and your post won’t be intellectually worthless.
How can the universe be in such perfect synergy and order without a master behind it? Makes a lot more sense than dark matter and dark energy creating it, considering you can't detect it for a start. So apparently no body times nothing equals everything. Scientists can't prove the big bang theory, which is why its a theory. Why are humans so uniquely complex, set apart from all living things with a conscience, intellect and complex skill set.

To believe in the Big Bang is to believe in chance, so if thats the case why do humans bother forming government, making decisions, creating hierachies, order on the streets. The reality is every effect occurs by some cause, not chance. Fortune was a greek goddess, so if the big bang theory uses chance for logic, and makes the chance of a big bang responsible for all that happens. Using a greek god for the foundation of their theory is ironic when you consider they don't believe a god exists.

Chance has been transformed by athiests into a force of causal power. The world and everything in it was the cause of numerous random events. Nothing is the cause of everything? How irrational? How chaotic? How looney? I wonder when the next random event will take place, since that's apparently how it started? A random event which will be less random than before, when nothing became everything. So then we can presume the world will experience something soon when something becomes something completely different. Or maybe something becomes nothing again? How bizarre, how absurd, purely illogical and ridiculous!

It is actually more scientific that God created the universe than that of the big bang theory. The bible actually has a record of how the world came about.

Then there is the 5 scientific ideas of time, space, force, action and matter which were only suggested 200 years ago. If these scientific terms were eternal before the big bang, then how were things so chaotic causing a big bang? The first verse of the bible, Genesis 1:1 accounts for all 5. "In the beginning (time), God (force), created (action), the heavens (space) and the earth (matter). And this was written well before the 19th century when scientists suggested these 5 ideas for causing everything. Scientists cannot pinpoint the actual origin of everything. The bible does in one verse. It accounts for the ultimate origin of matter, space, time.

Therefore, each person who reads this first verse has a choice to make based on the evidence in front of them, the world you live in. Either you believe God did create everything or you believe he didn't. If he didn't you believe he doesn't exist, nothing makes any sense or has any purpose. If God was a creative intelligence who created the world, then creation is logical and understandable. It is rational and plausible.

So either the array of complex organisms and intelligence we observe reflect the wisdom and power of a personal creator, or all these orderly systems somehow evolved randomly and chaotically from dead matter, and this dead matter evolved from unproven matter, and no real sense can be made of anything.

Albert Einstein himself firmly believed there must be an intelligence that created everything. There are many many scientists who embrace God as the creator of the universe and thus His purposes and plans revealed in the Bible, and the significance of humans bearing His image.

Does this make my post more intellectually worthy for you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back