Past Andrew Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Underrated moment was his difficult grab after a typical Mitch Robinson kick in hope, then he went back and nailed a difficult set-shot to win the game against St Kilda in ~2010/11

God I remember that match. Round 7 2011, Monday night footy. The week before was when we played up in Sydney in a monsoon - Judd had 35 touches, about 25 contested, and 25 clearances.

Led all day against the Saints on the Monday, they kicked a goal with five minutes left to go in front for the first time. Walker couldn't miss that season though and slotted the winner. :D It was also Jordan Russell's 100th that night. And that was the game where I started to believe we could do some damage in finals. Think we were 5-2 or 6-1 after that match.

Side note on his mark later that season; I would have seen the video 100 times and every time I just love looking at the reactions of the supporters. Watch the Essendon supporters and even they are going up like it's one of theirs. That's how you know it's a truly great mark. I had a similar reaction to Nic Nat's mark against us that same year.

I remember leaving Princes Park the day of his debut feeling that we had witnessed one of the truly great debuts by a young player and being genuinely excited at the prospect of watching his career unfold. Unfortunately injuries prevented him from playing at his best on a consistent basis but it didn't stop him from being a solid performer.

So many exciting moments that we can now look back upon. Thanks Andy for your commitment and hard work over 13 years, you can retire knowing that you gave it everything you had and will be remembered as a shining light during a bleak period in the history of our club.

Last edited:
Yeah he's a family friend. My cousin played alongside him at the Pigeons.

Well, for what it is worth, you can tell him Windhover was particularly disappointed he was not drafted - by us. Would have been great. In the same draft Richmond recruited Tom Roach under father-son and recruited Daniel Jackson afterwards. Jackson was obviously AFL quality (though Terry W. tried to ruin him) and Roach was obviously not going to be AFL quality. Leslie was streets ahead of Jackson. Just unbelievable he wasn't recruited, but after Walker.

God I remember that match. Round 7 2011, Monday night footy. The week before was when we played up in Sydney in a monsoon - Judd had 35 touches, about 25 contested, and 25 clearances.

Led all day against the Saints on the Monday, they kicked a goal with five minutes left to go in front for the first time. Walker couldn't miss that season though and slotted the winner. :D It was also Jordan Russell's 100th that night. And that was the game where I started to believe we could do some damage in finals. Think we were 5-2 or 6-1 after that match.

Side note on his mark later that season; I would have seen the video 100 times and every time I just love looking at the reactions of the supporters. Watch the Essendon supporters and even they are going up like it's one of theirs. That's how you know it's a truly great mark. I had a similar reaction to Nic Nat's mark against us that same year.
Spot on, Dumpy. Saw both marks live, Nic Nat was playing unstoppable footy at the time. After that week Melbourne Air Traffic Control assigned both players their own squawk codes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walker starting up a children's entertainment business in Echuca. Hope he gets involved in the local footy scene in some capacity.

Congratulations to Andrew Walker on a great career with the Carlton Football club. Since his impressive debut in 2004 he has been a great servant for the Blues playing forward, down back and in the midfield on the wing. He possess great pace, leaping ability and often saved his best footy for games played at the MCG. One of his finest moments will always be his spectacular mark on Jake Carlisle against Essendon in 2011. His best season of footy came in 2011 when he kicked 56 goals in 24 games. Good luck on Sunday against St Kilda in you're last AFL game Walks. Go Blues!

Andrew+Walker+AFL+Rd+18+Essendon+v+Carlton+6LjG86dbT5Nl.jpg

Andrew Walker's standout games:

Round 1 2004 vs West Coast: 26 disposals - 9 marks - 4 tackles
Round 19 2008 vs Port Adelaide: 20 disposals - 7 marks - 3 goals
Round 4 2010 vs Adelaide: 36 disposals - 12 marks
Round 2 2011 vs Gold Coast: 17 disposals - 7 marks - 5 goals
Round 5 2011 vs Adelaide: 20 disposals - 4 marks - 4 tackles - 4 goals
Round 11 2011 vs Port Adelaide: 18 disposals - 8 marks - 6 goals
Round 12 2011 vs Brisbane: 17 disposals - 9 marks - 5 goals
Round 15 2011 vs Richmond: 17 disposals - 7 marks - 4 goals
Round 18 2011 vs Essendon: 14 disposals - 8 marks - 3 tackles - 4 goals
Round 21 2011 vs Fremantle: 24 disposals - 7 marks - 5 tackles - 1 goal
2011 Elimination Final vs Essendon: 20 disposals - 5 marks - 3 goals
Round 6 2012 vs GWS: 20 disposals - 7 marks - 3 tackles - 2 goals
Round 9 2012 vs Melbourne: 25 disposals - 6 marks - 5 tackles - 2 goals
Round 4 2013 vs West Coast: 21 disposals - 5 marks - 1 goal
Round 5 2013 vs Adelaide: 32 disposals - 3 marks
Round 10 2013 vs GWS: 34 disposals - 7 marks - 3 tackles
Round 18 2013 vs Gold Coast: 25 disposals - 13 marks
Round 21 2013 vs Richmond: 27 disposals - 6 marks
Round 23 2013 vs Port Adelaide: 25 disposals - 7 marks - 3 tackles
Round 16 2014 vs St Kilda: 28 disposals - 10 marks
Round 4 2015 vs St Kilda: 24 disposals - 4 marks - 3 tackles
Round 10 2016 vs Geelong: 18 disposals - 6 marks - 4 tackles - 1 goal

Congratulations on a great career Andrew Walker. Arguably the best game on debut by a Carlton player. Enjoy your retirement.

One of the better ones I seen. Probably eclipsed Bosustow, Johnston and Hunter for their debut games.
Warren Ralph with 9 goals on debut the best I seen being at the game.
Justin Madden 5 goals on debut for Blues probably second best in my time.
Peter McConville kicked 3 goals on debut in 1978.
Greg Wells over 30 disposals on debut for Carlton right up there too.
However, only McConville of that group was still just a kid on debut so Walker effort something special on that debut day.
Mil Hanna in 1986 made his debut same day as Sticks, Bradley and Dorotich. I remember the excitement around Mil Hanna making his debut was up there similar to young Walks. However Hanna had a nightmare debut breaking his leg or doing his knee with first disposal or something. Suspect he never quite got back to what his body allowed him to do before that. I think like Hanna, Walks been a great club man and good player overall but injuries did not allow him to achieve as much as he probably would have if injuries had not reduced his output somewhat.

Hope he goes out on a high on the day like his debut game.

2011 for anyone in the their mid 20s and younger would have to be their best memory of a Carlton season.

This exactly. People born around my dads generation don't understand they got to enjoy the good days of carlton playing in flags every few years or at the very least being a top 4 side who just misses out. 2011 is the only real time I came close to understanding what it meant to barrack for an elite team seeing players slowly retiring like Judd Scotland walks (jamo soon) really hurts.
All the best walker thanks for taking the best mark I've ever seen live and being an incredibly reliable shot for goal in 2011. Thanks for being able to handle the pressure of coming to a club that was on its knees you gave more to the club than just your playing ability you were the hope we all needed

Last edited:
This exactly. People born around my dads generation don't understand they got to enjoy the good days of carlton playing in flags every few years or at the very easy being top 4 side who just misses out. 2011 is the only real time I came close to understanding what it meant to barrack for an elite team seeing players slowly retiring like Judd Scotland walks (jamo soon) really hurts.
All the best walker thanks for taking the best mark I've ever seen live and being an incredibly reliable shot for goal in 2011. Thanks for being able to handle the pressure of coming to a club that was on its knees you gave more to the club than just your playing ability you were the hope we all needed

I think we understand how fortunate we were to see flags. I've been a supporter for 5 of those flags and I cherish the memories. For some it made then feel entitled. For others, like me, it is what sustains us during the hard times. I worry about the younger fans and what keeps them interested in following the club.

When I started following Carlton, we won 3 flags in 4 years, 4 in 9 and made finals 10 years straight. When we won in 1995 it felt like a huge drought had been broken and I cried with pride and relief. When 17 comes, the emotion will be massive but I imagine it will be doubly so for those that haven't experienced it before and started supporting the club within the last 20 years.

It feels like we lost an entire generation of supporters after our salary cap penalties in 2002. Why would anybody start supporting a cheating, spoon winning side? For those that did, I have great admiration and appreciation. Must have been hard in the schoolyard making such a decision.

This exactly. People born around my dads generation don't understand they got to enjoy the good days of carlton playing in flags every few years or at the very least being a top 4 side who just misses out. 2011 is the only real time I came close to understanding what it meant to barrack for an elite team seeing players slowly retiring like Judd Scotland walks (jamo soon) really hurts.

Mate I could have gone to the '95 Grand Final but opted to watch with mates thinking there would be many more to come. 21 years later I am ruing my decision. The '99 Prelim is the greatest game I have witnessed live. As good as it was, doesn't compare to a Premiership.

I think we understand how fortunate we were to see flags. I've been a supporter for 5 of those flags and I cherish the memories. For some it made then feel entitled. For others, like me, it is what sustains us during the hard times. I worry about the younger fans and what keeps them interested in following the club.

When I started following Carlton, we won 3 flags in 4 years, 4 in 9 and made finals 10 years straight. When we won in 1995 it felt like a huge drought had been broken and I cried with pride and relief. When 17 comes, the emotion will be massive but I imagine it will be doubly so for those that haven't experienced it before and started supporting the club within the last 20 years.

It feels like we lost an entire generation of supporters after our salary cap penalties in 2002. Why would anybody start supporting a cheating, spoon winning side? For those that did, I have great admiration and appreciation. Must have been hard in the schoolyard making such a decision.

Totally agree ODN.
I've witnessed 72, 79, 81, 82, 87 and 95. It's not so much a feeling of entitlement even though I can understand it being amongst many of our supporters. For me it was more how lucky I was all those years ago growing up in Richmond where most of my mates at primary school followed the tiggers and the pies and me deciding to follow the mighty Blues. How excited I was when my old man took me to Alexanders on the corner of Bridge Road and Church Street to buy my first Navy Blue jumper with the number 2 on the back and a pair of Carlton footy socks. I wore that jumper everywhere. The success I have witnessed and enjoyed as a Carlton supporter has got me through the bad times and I know it will get better.

Mate I could have gone to the '95 Grand Final but opted to watch with mates thinking there would be many more to come. 21 years later I am ruing my decision. The '99 Prelim is the greatest game I have witnessed live. As good as it was, doesn't compare to a Premiership.
Speaking of the '99 prelim. I had a wedding on that day however I remember thinking we had no chance against the bombers as they were raging hot favourites. Anyway, after the church and photos were taken we had a few hours to kill before the reception and we decided to head off to Crown for a few drinks. Listening to the game I couldn't believe how close it was however expecting them to kick away anytime soon. At the Crown with 5 minutes remaining in the last quarter someone was giving live score updates over the PA. When the final score came through there was an almighty roar from the punters. We left soon after for the reception and I can tell you it was one of the best nights I ever had.

Speaking of the '99 prelim. I had a wedding on that day however I remember thinking we had no chance against the bombers as they were raging hot favourites. Anyway, after the church and photos were taken we had a few hours to kill before the reception and we decided to head off to Crown for a few drinks. Listening to the game I couldn't believe how close it was however expecting them to kick away anytime soon. At the Crown with 5 minutes remaining in the last quarter someone was giving live score updates over the PA. When the final score came through there was an almighty roar from the punters. We left soon after for the reception and I can tell you it was one of the best nights I ever had.

Not wanting to go too far off topic but if you remember the Carlton of '99, we would capitulate quite easily and when Alessio kicked the first goal of the last quarter I promptly stood up from my level 4 seat and went to leave, not wanting to see the hated scum run all over us, much to the amazement of my girlfriend of one year. So the whole way down the stairs she was tugging at my arm saying 'don't go don't go you never know'. By the time we got down the bottom she convinced me to take another look. Lo and behold we were only down by 10 points again! The rest is history, god knows the bitter sweet feeling I would've got had I made my way back to the car and heard we had got up by a point! Of course, that girlfriend is now my wife! :)

Not wanting to go too far off topic but if you remember the Carlton of '99, we would capitulate quite easily and when Alessio kicked the first goal of the last quarter I promptly stood up from my level 4 seat and went to leave, not wanting to see the hated scum run all over us, much to the amazement of my girlfriend of one year. So the whole way down the stairs she was tugging at my arm saying 'don't go don't go you never know'. By the time we got down the bottom she convinced me to take another look. Lo and behold we were only down by 10 points again! The rest is history, god knows the bitter sweet feeling I would've got had I made my way back to the car and heard we had got up by a point! Of course, that girlfriend is now my wife! :)

She's a keeper (obviously)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back