andrewd@afl.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

demon g

Rookie
May 1, 2008
Surrey Hills
AFL Club
Melbourne
Email shamelessly swiped from the hawthorn board.

I know the franklin case is not melbourne and i couldnt care less if he walked out there on the weekend but the fact that this is happening is bad news for football.

Football is being changed. I dont know about you guys here but the football i grew up watching is not the same these days. Did anyone think we had a problem with the bump before it was outlawed??
Anyone think push in the back was even an issue before the hands in the back rule???

Look, i ove footy still but just stop changing things....i liked things more before.

If anyone agrees fire off an email to the man in charge.
Itl take 2 seconds...do it.

Can't agree.

People claiming the game has become soft are deluded by the fact that Lance Franklin got rubbed out for hitting Cousins in the head.

I find it mind-boggling that people are claiming the game is soft because hitting a player in the head isn't allowed.

Nobody would bat an eyelash if it wasn't Franklin.

Sorry Dez but im afraid i cannot agree with you either,

the point here is not franklin (although admittedly that is many peoples point atm) but rather that a guy is going to be rubbed out for two weeks for accidentally high contact. The conduct was not reckless or negligent either but rather a technically sound bump that the afl tribunal defined as reasonable.

As such, a man is being punished by 2 weeks out of the game for reasonable actons.

No one is saying that we should be able to snipe players and no one wants to see players knocked out, but nor do we want to see them suspended for this.

If franklin had lifted his elbow, left the ground, hit cousins off the ball, or hit a man with his head over the ball then things may be different.
But franklin didnt do these things, he bumped with proper technique a guy who had the ball.

Not suspendable

This isn't about Franklin, it is about the death of the bump. This game has gone soft, i think netball has harder hits than the way this game is going, it is an absolute disgrace, no wonder people are leaving this game for soccer.

Sorry Dez but im afraid i cannot agree with you either,

the point here is not franklin (although admittedly that is many peoples point atm) but rather that a guy is going to be rubbed out for two weeks for accidentally high contact. The conduct was not reckless or negligent either but rather a technically sound bump that the afl tribunal defined as reasonable.

As such, a man is being punished by 2 weeks out of the game for reasonable actons.

No one is saying that we should be able to snipe players and no one wants to see players knocked out, but nor do we want to see them suspended for this.

If franklin had lifted his elbow, left the ground, hit cousins off the ball, or hit a man with his head over the ball then things may be different.
But franklin didnt do these things, he bumped with proper technique a guy who had the ball.

Not suspendable

I agree with this. :thumbsu:

About 11 of them if A-League crowds are any indication.

Gee does that show some ignorance here. We get under 16K against port adelaide and a little over 13K against freo and you go on about the a-leagues poor crowds. The Victory's crowds are down this season have both been over 18K, more than Melbourne in those two matches. It does show the ignorance of AFL supporters and their fear of real football.

Gee does that show some ignorance here. We get under 16K against port adelaide and a little over 13K against freo and you go on about the a-leagues poor crowds. The Victory's crowds are down this season have both been over 18K, more than Melbourne in those two matches. It does show the ignorance of AFL supporters and their fear of real football.

Wasn't aware that it was a one team competition. One team has average attendances that match ours, the other 9 have averages that match the TAC Cup. What a brave new world.

I lol'd.

It's bullshit, Buddy's shoulder makes contact with Cousins' head purely because of the height difference between the two. Obviously that isn't taken into account at the tribunal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game has gone soft, i think netball has harder hits than the way this game is going, it is an absolute disgrace, no wonder people are leaving this game for soccer.

Um. People leave Aussie rules for soccer? Because soccer has bigger hits? Harder tackles? Better haircuts? And I love the old netball/basketball chestnut.

This issue already has had ramifications throughout even country footy - a decent bloke at my local club has been rubbed out for 4 weeks for breaking an opponents nose accidentally - he (nose breaker) was protecting his face from the guy charging him (the nose break-ee), was all on video evidence but because of protecting the head, the guy being charged was rubbed out. Curious incident. Never mind the nose break ee dropped the nose breaker behind play before hand (also on video). It appears this is the way footy goes now. You hurt other guy's head, you don't play for a while, no matter the circumstances.

I couldn't care less about Buddy getting suspended, the guy's a **** and he grates on me, much like every other Hawthorn spearhead over the last 20 years. Cuz got knocked out cos Buddy hit his head. Buddy sits out for a few weeks. End of story. I don't think this means footy is soft, netball is tough, soccer's for NTTAWWTs and basketball is for tall black guys (um... you get what I mean). It just means the AFL is protecting it's image so not to be viewed as a game for thuggery (not to say that Buddy's a thug, more a general point) and potentially life altering acquired brain injuries.
Part of the beauty of Aussie Rules is the dangerous aspect - courage has a large part to play in people walking on to a park to run around getting knocked about every weekl, but I don't think there's a player in the world who would not expect to go unpunished if they caused severe brain trauma to another player, through a king hit or a fair bump. Cuz was lucky that's all he copped from Buddy, could've been a lot worse. Suck it up, the more we know about brain injuries, the more we should protect the head.

Wasn't aware that it was a one team competition. One team has average attendances that match ours, the other 9 have averages that match the TAC Cup. What a brave new world.

Just out of interest what are the official crowds at the TAC Cup? If they are over 10,000 people we should get them to come down and support our team as we could do with a few more bums on seats.

Also, I didn't know I was allowed to juxtapose the attendances of the football team in Melbourne to compare it to the AFL team(s) in Melbourne?

About what mate? A game that is played in over 200 countries? A game that the AFL is worried about why they are trying to put a white elephant of a team in Western Sydney to try and combat?

About you calling it the "real football".

That would be true if we were in England, however in Australia "real football" is Australian Rules football and soccer is soccer.

About you calling it the "real football".

That would be true if we were in England, however in Australia "real football" is Australian Rules football and soccer is soccer.

No real football is association football. How do you explain rugby then? Would that not be called football in the northern states?

The term soccer is an american term for the game association football and as we speak english, we should not be using the american term to describe the world game.

Also, how can AFL be real football when most of the possessions these days do not involve disposal by foot, rather they are by handball?

No real football is association football. How do you explain rugby then? Would that not be called football in the northern states?

The term soccer is an american term for the game association football and as we speak english, we should not be using the american term to describe the world game.

Also, how can AFL be real football when most of the possessions these days do not involve disposal by foot, rather they are by handball?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

such a boring debate. Take this argument somewhere else, it will never be resolved, not least on an AFL board.

Nobody can seriously argue that they're going well when they bring in two new teams who get 6000 each for home games. Even the West Sydney AFL side will get more than that.

I'd also like to point out for the record that I've been watching 'football' in this country from long before the A-League machine gunned 100 years of history to give us plastic franchises with invented rivalries and 35 year old European hasbeens.

I'm just sick to death of the conspiracies theories about how it's going to take over and destroy AFL. It's a great sport with big partcipation but on a national league level it's nothing more than a bit part player that's overrated by the people who argue in its favour.

P.S - Go Phoenix
P.P.S - Any free tickets going for the Phoenix/Victory game at Docklands? I hate giving my money to the scum.

We see this chicken little bullshit every year.

Person A gets suspended for something small
Team A goes bananas and tries to overturn, overruled
Supporters whinge and complain about how the game is dying

Next week, back to normal - it's like when someone in a tv show gets injured and next week is walking again.

Move on.

This is a boring topic obviously. Melbourne Tory must be having a slow day at work if he feels the need to come onto an Aussie Rules forum and try to start a debate about its naming.

Before we get back to talking about the Franklin bump (or other more interesting Demons topics), let me point out a few inaccuracies with Melbourne Tory's statements.

The term "football" merely refers to a sport in which the ball is allowed to be disposed of by foot. American football and rugby obviously pass the ball via hand much more often than by foot but they can still kick the ball. Australian Football has about a 50/50 split. Soccer (I'll call it Association Football if you're getting upset with the use of the term "soccer", despite it actually being English in origin, so there is another error). This differentiates the sport from Basketball, Netball, Volleyball etc (you may be allowed to kick the ball in volleyball...I'm not certain. Maybe they just didn't call us off back in PE class in high school).

In terms of naming, the word "football" is simply given to the dominate football sport in the area. That's Australian football in all by NSW and QLD. There is still a reasonably presence of Australian football in NSW and QLD so normally Rugby Union is just called Rugby and Rugby League is just called League but it's not uncommon to hear "I'm off to go see the Roosters play footy this Friday night". An American will call it soccer because there'd be obvious confusion if it were referred to simply as football since there is a far greater concentration of what we call gridiron. None of this is a case of trying to parade one code of football over the other, it's just being sensible with naming in different regions. It's common sense. Association Football just happens to be the most prominent of any of the codes around the world but it's a fallacy to refer to it as "real" football.

When I was in Europe and Britain recently I saw Inter vs Sampdoria and Fulham vs Portsmouth. Did I refer to them as football? OF COURSE. I'm not going to be culturally ignorant by going over there to where Assocation Football is the dominate football sport and not simply call it football.

There is no "real" football. The name Association Football had to be brought in to stop confusion between that and Rugby which was formally codified earlier. It's perhaps also relevant to point out that Australian Football was also codified before Association Football (a few years earlier). All of the Association Football giants like Man Utd, Barcelona and Inter are predated by the team that forms the basis of the forum on which you are currently trolling.

I have nothing against Association Football. I quite enjoy watching and playing it. I also enjoy watching and playing Australian Football, and much more. That's just my preference. I don't go onto BigSoccer.com and post ignorant comments like "hey, nice draw on the weekend for you?" or "a nice few dives there by Archie Thompson ey?".

Just enjoy your Association Football, soccer, football, whatever it is you want to think of it as but if you ask a stranger on the street for the football scores, don't except to hear "oh the Victory won 2-1" any time soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back