andrewd@afl.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to the topic...well sort of...

I dont see why everyone is cracking the poos over this. Franklin broke the rules, which were publicly amended earlier this season. He had a realistic chance to tackle, but instead chose the thug option. Now, AFL fans are acting like their masculinity is at stake. 'If Franklin gets suspended for that, then this game is soft'/ 'going toward "soccer" (should be football, will let you off this once) style of argument. Why do u have to try to prove you have penises?

Can't agree.

People claiming the game has become soft are deluded by the fact that Lance Franklin got rubbed out for hitting Cousins in the head.

I find it mind-boggling that people are claiming the game is soft because hitting a player in the head isn't allowed.

Franklin did'nt hit Cousins in the head. he lifted his arm, yeh. But the concussion was from when he hit his head on the ground when he fell. I think this call is soft. Not the game.

Franklin had two choices. He could chose to takle or shoose to bump. Both are supposedley fair and reasonable options.

I just wonder, if both a bump and a tackle are reasonable, why should the rule for accidental high contact be any different? People are asking why didn't he tackle?... why should he have to? the bump is a part of the game, and accidental high contact should not be reason for suspension.

As said earlier, he did not intend to hit cousins high, he did not raise his elbow, and cousins' head was not over the ball. If the rule should be re ammended. If it is not, the bump will be taken out of the game.:thumbsdown:

the AFL seems intent on changing the rules. What they don't seem to realise is that to change the rules is changing the game alltogether. The bump is one thing, but also the hands in the back rule as mentioned by demon g. Why should a player be penalised, for merely touching his opponent in the back. If no force is applied, then there should be no reason for a free kick.

Before these rules were brought in, no ont had a problem with the way the game was played, and there was less criticism on the umpires as well. The AFL are creating more problems than they are solving and in doing so they are ruining the game.

I saw on the news today Vlad saying it wouldn't be right to change the rule so quickly after one incident when the rule has only been around for a few months. Ironically, the rule was brought in due to one incident in a NAB game. The AFL seem to have no problem making knee jerk decisions to make rules but can't take them away just as quickly.

It looks like Melbourne Tory has left with his tail between his legs.

No Melbournemartin its called a life and not hanging around internet forums all the time. Hence I have not been on here for a while. Doing this outside like exercise as well as things inside like reading and adding to my minute intellectual capacity rather than sitting in front of your pc is to be recommended as it gives one's life more meaning.

I'm always happy for a stoush and a debate.

I take your and supermercado's views on board, i and we have different opinions and the sports can co-exist. The main point i was making was about supermercado's throw away line about 11 extra people heading to the a-league, which I think was a little incorrect. I also have issues with supermercado's views about the new a-league, I don't think the game would have grown without creating a new competition, even though this has alienated some of the pioneer clubs. I would not call the Melbourne Victory scum and remind him of how the Wellington Pheonix were created, not an established team, but a team created for the new league.

I love the "I have a life" excuse.

How often do we hear it on internet forums? It's definitely a fan favourite.

Merc just doesn't like soccer. You'll have to deal with it.

I would not call the Melbourne Victory scum and remind him of how the Wellington Pheonix were created, not an established team, but a team created for the new league.

Yes but they're not Victory, therefore I can follow them ;)

melbournemartin said:
Merc just doesn't like soccer. You'll have to deal with it.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. I just don't like Victory :D If I didn't I wouldn't have been up at 2am this morning listening to Wimbledon lose to Oxford courtesy of an own goal and a missed penalty :(

Well Victory do average very similar average crowds to the Dees :D

It's the name 86... Melbourne Victory is right up there with Queensland Roar and Deportivo Wanka as the most shockingly horrible names in world football :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't be farther from the truth. I just don't like Victory :D If I didn't I wouldn't have been up at 2am this morning listening to Wimbledon lose to Oxford courtesy of an own goal and a missed penalty :(

If you reckon following AFC Wimbledon can be frustrating Merc, try following Aylesbury United ;)

What div is AFC Wimbledon in? From memory, the ultimate Football Manager is becoming European champions with AFC Wimbledon. That's partially because SI Games sponsors the team and also because they are so low that they aren't even in the lowest division for starters (conference north/south I think).

AFC Wimbledon are in the Conference Premier Division.

As far as my club goes - Aylesbury United used to be one division below that, but the Ducks have fallen on VERY hard times in recent years - we lost our home ground in Aylesbury due to troubles with the previous club owner, and now play a little way outside of the town.

Currently, we're in the Southern League Div 1 (3 divisions below AFC Wimbledon) and we've had a shocking start this season :(

Hopefully we'll get a decent ground back in the town before too long and can start to build back up again.

Incidentally, Merc & I have been fans of the round-ball game for a long time... I knew him back when the NSL was still running, when I was a Brisbane Strikers supporter and he was a South Melbourne supporter (he still follows South, although I gave up on the Strikers after the last season of the NSL, they were a shockingly-run club in so many ways)

We used to post together on the South Melbourne board back during the NSL days...

You learn something every day :)

I'm a casual supporter. I don't follow any specific team. I did enjoy going to matches in England and Italy though.

I also enjoy the odd game of Pro Evo Soccer and Football Manager. You play either Wona?

Not those games so far, but I used to play the FIFA ones a lot...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back