Android phones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently on an S3 4G, but I've got a Sony Z3 on pre-order. Not sure whether to go all out on wireless charging, or just be a cheapskate and get a couple of docks.

Didn't realise Sony were Qi enabled/ready.

My work site has a bit of info about them.

Looks nice though, our Samsung ones are a chip like thing you put behind the battery, then drop it on the plate to charge.

Yeah I'd say the glass back on the Sony causes issues trying to build it in. You could do it with the earlier Samsungs too using a cheap add-on that sits behind the back cover.

I doubt the S5 has an official extended battery yet, it seems to take them ages to release them. I had one for my S2 and it was great, would have got one for the S3 too but they never released one in dark silver/grey.

It's an official extended battery released by Samsung. The original battery is 2100mAh and the extended is 3000mAh. I'm sure there is an official extended battery for the S5.

I wasn't aware Samsung did genuine extended, I sell the aftermarket ones. Our extended is 4200mAh. With the plastic backing case you find it to be flimsy or made of good plastic?

I've looked into Qi charging for my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 tablet - looks like a nice idea but from what I can find out charging is fairly slow and the Qi bases aren't cheap.

Instead I opted to buy a heap of 2amp usb chargers from Logan and got Motorola cables cheap from Amazon when I ordered some other tech stuff - I've got chargers/cables galore at home and work and a couple of spares if I'm travelling. It's not hard to plug in a cable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware Samsung did genuine extended, I sell the aftermarket ones. Our extended is 4200mAh. With the plastic backing case you find it to be flimsy or made of good plastic?
It is similar to the original backing of the S3. It feels sturdy in my hand when I have the backing attached to the phone. The back cover also has the chrome 'Samsung' logo on the back. I actually like the thickness of the phone, it is a bit thicker than normal but I find it more comfortable to hold when making calls, and the increased weight of the phone makes it feel like a premium product.

I've looked into Qi charging for my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 tablet - looks like a nice idea but from what I can find out charging is fairly slow and the Qi bases aren't cheap.

Instead I opted to buy a heap of 2amp usb chargers from Logan and got Motorola cables cheap from Amazon when I ordered some other tech stuff - I've got chargers/cables galore at home and work and a couple of spares if I'm travelling. It's not hard to plug in a cable.

Qi charging will eventually be like wifi, you'll walk into a shop and your phone will start charging in your pocket.

I doubt the S5 has an official extended battery yet, it seems to take them ages to release them. I had one for my S2 and it was great, would have got one for the S3 too but they never released one in dark silver/grey.
I held off for ages because I have a black S3 and I assumed that the entended battery cover came in only blue and white. One day on Ebay I saw a seller selling black cover extended batteries so I bought one.

Qi charging will eventually be like wifi, you'll walk into a shop and your phone will start charging in your pocket.
Would love to have it charging at the same rate as a decent charger - I want more than the slow charging available at the moment through Qi.

When decent charge rates (or more power efficient smart phones/tablets are made) I'll gladly go wireless.

It is similar to the original backing of the S3. It feels sturdy in my hand when I have the backing attached to the phone. The back cover also has the chrome 'Samsung' logo on the back. I actually like the thickness of the phone, it is a bit thicker than normal but I find it more comfortable to hold when making calls, and the increased weight of the phone makes it feel like a premium product.

Yeah I'm in love with Samsung phones again after moving to the S5 from Apple.
My biggest irritation with our extended is the shitty plastic used. Only reason I see returns is because the casing broke. Battery superior though, Samsung ****ed up bad with the S3 and S4 batteries, we ended up selling over 10'000 of each.

S5 sadly seems to be much improved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'd say the glass back on the Sony causes issues trying to build it in. You could do it with the earlier Samsungs too using a cheap add-on that sits behind the back cover.

We have the S5 extended, 5600mAh. Any Battery store can bring them in from us.

Would love to have it charging at the same rate as a decent charger - I want more than the slow charging available at the moment through Qi.

When decent charge rates (or more power efficient smart phones/tablets are made) I'll gladly go wireless.

Baby steps, it'll get to the same point soon enough.

There are plenty of extended batteries out there, but not official ones from Samsung.

Paying a premium for batteries that aren't as good as the aftermarket ones.

I know all about "exploding" batteries. It's part of my job to investigate it. If you buy an aftermarket cell which lies about true capacity (most do including genuine) which was made in whoop whoop lumpur then yes it'll likely not be very good.

The smart aftermaket companies do not use cheap lithium batteries, most of my suppliers use the same cells as the big phone companies.

We push our suppliers to show correct ratings and as we use private labels we can get whatever we want printed on them. We do all the tests to make sure it's accurate.

I'm the same, I'd hate to think of how many chargers and cables I have throughout the house and in my car. I recently purchased a few extra long cables. From memory, they're 3.5m long. Extremely handy! But it's awesome being able to sit anywhere in the lounge room and not having to worry about being near a power point.

Galaxy Note 4 comes with a 3220mAh battery and a fast recharge of 50% inside 30 minutes. thats massive game changer.

It's a big device though, Sony had 3200mAH crammed into the Z2. I don't know how much "fast charge" tech has changed but in the past it's killed batteries a little quicker.

My Z3 just arrived, it's not as big as I thought it would be compared to my S3 although that may change when the case arrives for it. Now I just need to track down a half decent (and cheap) magnetic charge cable.

It's a big device though, Sony had 3200mAH crammed into the Z2. I don't know how much "fast charge" tech has changed but in the past it's killed batteries a little quicker.

My Z3 just arrived, it's not as big as I thought it would be compared to my S3 although that may change when the case arrives for it. Now I just need to track down a half decent (and cheap) magnetic charge cable.

Im hoping to take it to the cricket at AO and watch foxtel live when a wicket has fallen. Which means I need it to survive a solid day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back