Andy Flower reportedly sacked.

The 27th Jesus

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah I dunno about this one, but having said that Flower's supposed ultimatum is probably what has got him sacked in the end.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Someone had to pay for the pathetic showing the Poms have put up on this tour, and the casualties are mounting >

Trott
Swann
Finn
Flower

Someone had to pay for the pathetic showing the Poms have put up on this tour, and the casualties are mounting >

Trott
Swann
Finn
Flower

Finn? He didn't even play a game, he can't be blamed!

The 27th Jesus

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dean Jones just said Michael Vaughan is seriously keen on the job.. what do you all think?
Vaughan?
Giles?
Kirsten?
They would be massive on convincing Kirsten to have another go but I highly doubt that.

When you fail to force your way into a team playing as poorly as England have been you can be blamed.

Good bowler, he's just lost his way. Apparently his coaches at County level were telling him more or less the exact opposite of what the England coaches were telling him. He just needs some time away and he'll be back.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Good bowler, he's just lost his way. Apparently his coaches at County level were telling him more or less the exact opposite of what the England coaches were telling him. He just needs some time away and he'll be back.

Apparently the coaches completely buggered up his technique.

augiewaz

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Why did he do so little media this Summer? I can only recall one PC he did, and that wasn't even a formal one. Seems to be he was hiding behind the scenes and letting Cook take all the heat, which is poor.

Flower was interviewed after every test by a Sky reporter and he wasn't shying away from England's performance. Apart from naming player names, he was very honest. Better than the dribble from Cook. errr.....ummmm....yeah, ummmm

That being said, he had to go along with a few more.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Flower was interviewed after every test by a Sky reporter and he wasn't shying away from England's performance. Apart from naming player names, he was very honest. Better than the dribble from Cook. errr.....ummmm....yeah, ummmm

That being said, he had to go along with a few more.

Cook's position should come under scrutiny as well after the abysmal performance by his team during this tour. Poor technician, and he his batting was well below par too.

Cook's position should come under scrutiny as well after the abysmal performance by his team during this tour. Poor technician, and he his batting was well below par too.

He was all but hopeless in the field with his uber defensive field placings and tactics. Not once when he had the aussies almost on the canvas in the first innings did he go in for the kill. Instead he hung back and waited for guys like Haddin, Smith and Johnson to make a mistake. The only thing that will save him is there is no-one to really replace him as captain. Didn't see enough nous from Broad in the T20's.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
He was all but hopeless in the field with his uber defensive field placings and tactics. Not once when he had the aussies almost on the canvas in the first innings did he go in for the kill. Instead he hung back and waited for guys like Haddin, Smith and Johnson to make a mistake. The only thing that will save him is there is no-one to really replace him as captain. Didn't see enough nous from Broad in the T20's.

I'm no great fan of Broad's, but I think he has a better cricket brain than Cook will ever have.

Feb 1, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Swinburne
I'm no great fan of Broad's, but I think he has a better cricket brain than Cook will ever have.
I read somewhere that no one in the English team, other than Cook, is captain or vice captain of their county side. At least with Broard as captain you'd expect a little aggression rather than purely defensive play.

I read somewhere that no one in the English team, other than Cook, is captain or vice captain of their county side. At least with Broard as captain you'd expect a little aggression rather than purely defensive play.

The problem the poms could run into if they made Broad captain in the longer format of the game is will it affect his performances with the ball. They really couldn't afford that as he is there number 1 strike bowler and and slide in his performances would hurt them big time.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
The problem the poms could run into if they made Broad captain in the longer format of the game is will it affect his performances with the ball. They really couldn't afford that as he is there number 1 strike bowler and and slide in his performances would hurt them big time.

I'm not usually an advocate for fast bowler captains, but I think in this case England have little choice. Broad seemed to be Cook's go-to man once Prior was banished, and appears to have a good cricket brain.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Cook's ability as a on field tactician was laid bare the minute Prior was dropped - many a an ordinary captain has been hidden by a solid keeper or vice captain who has the best view of the game and can read it ahead of time. That heightened pressure on Flower because clearly all Cook could do was follow the plan mapped out before they went on the park. He showed no feel for the game, captaincy is certainly based on planning but the key factor is intuition and knowing what and when to do when your plans don't work or things change because they will, it's a fact of life.

Making Broad skipper has the hallmark of Ian Botham Mk II. They are in more trouble than the early settlers.

Back