Andy Flower reportedly sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not usually an advocate for fast bowler captains, but I think in this case England have little choice. Broad seemed to be Cook's go-to man once Prior was banished, and appears to have a good cricket brain.

I'm not either, which makes me think they might look elsewhere. Unless they see somethng in someone like a Joe Root and will give Cook the chance to win back the Ashes next year.

Cook's ability as a on field tactician was laid bare the minute Prior was dropped - many a an ordinary captain has been hidden by a solid keeper or vice captain who has the best view of the game and can read it ahead of time. That heightened pressure on Flower because clearly all Cook could do was follow the plan mapped out before they went on the park. He showed no feel for the game, captaincy is certainly based on planning but the key factor is intuition and knowing what and when to do when your plans don't work or things change because they will, it's a fact of life.

Making Broad skipper has the hallmark of Ian Botham Mk II. They are in more trouble than the early settlers.

The Botham parallel is certainly a possibility, but who else do they really have to choose from?

On-field decisions were made by a committee that unusually included Cook, Prior and Broad.

KP was already on the outer and generally thrown to the boundary. I did not that at the WACA that the only decent tactical decisions were made after KP ran in from the boundary to talk to the bowler and Cook.

Plus over the course of his career he has shown himself to be adept tactically.

Not trying to argue that Cook is a good captain - he clearly relies heavily on support from experienced team mates, but he has won series in India as well as the Ashes so I don't think they should throw the baby out with the bathwater unless there is somebody who could do the job better and at the moment there doesn't seem to be.

Cook's ability as a on field tactician was laid bare the minute Prior was dropped - many a an ordinary captain has been hidden by a solid keeper or vice captain who has the best view of the game and can read it ahead of time. That heightened pressure on Flower because clearly all Cook could do was follow the plan mapped out before they went on the park. He showed no feel for the game, captaincy is certainly based on planning but the key factor is intuition and knowing what and when to do when your plans don't work or things change because they will, it's a fact of life.

Making Broad skipper has the hallmark of Ian Botham Mk II. They are in more trouble than the early settlers.

I can remember the first time Cook was skippering the English T20 team. Training wheels if you like. He looked utterly freaked to the point of freezing. Any onfield ability he has, has been manufactured by the coach and others.

T20 is hard as it moves so fast, but you can't have a captain looking like he's about to throw up.

Not trying to argue that Cook is a good captain - he clearly relies heavily on support from experienced team mates, but he has won series in India as well as the Ashes so I don't think they should throw the baby out with the bathwater unless there is somebody who could do the job better and at the moment there doesn't seem to be.

That is their issue. It's why he was made skipper in the first place when Strauss didn't want it anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back