Andy Maher - Sorry but I don't get it

Remove this Banner Ad

Andy’s role as Bob Murphy’s sidekick has seen more deferential than ever.
He knows he doesn’t belong on any form of electronic media but when he appears alongside someone who is moderately articulate and a well regarded ex player in the game, he becomes nauseatingly sycophantic

Andy’s role as Bob Murphy’s sidekick has seen more deferential than ever.
He knows he doesn’t belong on any form of electronic media but when he appears alongside someone who is moderately articulate and a well regarded ex player in the game, he becomes nauseatingly sycophantic
I'm definitely not an Andy Maher fan but he is the least of the problems with the Bob & Andy show.

Andy’s problems are endless but in a form of cricket where boundaries or outfield catches are continuous, his inability to anticipate the difference between a 4 or a 6 or an out field catch when ball comes off bat is astounding in addition to being annoying.
There’s a gap when the batsman hits it, followed by a “it’s gone high in the air” and then he tells where the ball has landed after its landed!
Decent commentators give you a decent idea whether it’s a 6 off the bat or whether it’s a possible catch off the bat.
He anticipates nothing!!!!
Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Andy’s problems are endless but in a form of cricket where boundaries or outfield catches are continuous, his inability to anticipate the difference between a 4 or a 6 or an out field catch when ball comes off bat is astounding in addition to being annoying.
There’s a gap when the batsman hits it, followed by a “it’s gone high in the air” and then he tells where the ball has landed after its landed!
Decent commentators give you a decent idea whether it’s a 6 off the bat or whether it’s a possible catch off the bat.
He anticipates nothing!!!!
Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Jason Richardson also does this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is the sycophantism that really does it for me. Just nauseating.

Pretends he is being 'humble' and 'not worthy' but still somehow makes it all about him and what a 'good bloke' he seems to think he is. Vomit inducing.

He also has zero insight and zero knowledge for stats or history or anything slightly interesting in sport. This makes him a complete bore.

He tries to over-compensate for his lack of knowledge and being an utter bore by being 'enthusiastic' and 'blokey'. This has a very short shelf life.

How he stays employed is a mystery.

Maher's okay on shows like Before the Game and Front Bar where he can host and be the butt end of jokes, but keep him well clear of the commentary box.

I understand that we aren't going to like every commentator, I can even take the conflict of interest when guys like Eddie commentate.
I can even tolerate ex footballers who don't know how to commentate but get some leniency due to their football career.
Or a boys club based appointment. Or print journos who decide they want to speak as well.

Where the hell does Andy "the walking cliche" Maher fit into the media landscape?

He is like a noxious weed now popping up on the 20 over coverage for Big Bash.
I guess it should give me some hope that anyone can get a job commentating.

I know that there are those out there who would say he works hard,a good guy etc etc but for crying out loud he can't even speak properly - does he talk with his fingers clasped over his nose.

What gives?
Who would have thought that Andy Maher would still be haunting people's ears five years on from the OPs post. I bet you'se blokes didn't 😥😥

He just has one of those faces, one of those accents, too many of those stupid anachronistic and overly blokey sayings and one of those delivery volumes that instantly rub people up the wrong way. You'd think having any ONE of those things would stop you from becoming a commentator but not him fmd

His cricket commentary is so repetitive:

*Gee whiz/gee/geeze
*Youse blokes/you blokes/blokes/lads
*Huge
*Outstanding
*Extraordinary

If you made a bingo card, you would have bingo 5 overs in.
It's often been whispered that someone found a magic lamp buried in the Western Australian desert and wished for a commentator so OTT, sycophantic and lacking in self awareness that Darryl Eastlake himself would say "geez that's too much".
At that precise moment in time, a young Andy Maher said "hold my beer", quit his job and joined the media

His cricket commentary is so repetitive:

*Gee whiz/gee/geeze
*Youse blokes/you blokes/blokes/lads
*Huge
*Outstanding
*Extraordinary

If you made a bingo card, you would have bingo 5 overs in.

Needs more "It's gone high in the air...."

At least he's shelved "Uppish".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back