Draft Profile Andy McGrath

Remove this Banner Ad

Conor Mckenna

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Well given that he toured our facilities yesterday it seems we may swoop on young Maca with pick 1...seems to be a class act..lets hope comparisons to Heath Shaw are in playing ability only...Rob Shaw is a massive wrap for him...hope to see him in Hibberds old number 1..The next Mark Johnson...Mr Sandringham:)

Well given that he toured our facilities yesterday it seems we may swoop on young Maca with pick 1...seems to be a class act..lets hope comparisons to Heath Shaw are in playing ability only...Rob Shaw is a massive wrap for him...hope to see him in Hibberds old number 1..The next Mark Johnson...Mr Sandringham:)
Surely you take McCluggage.

McCluggage/McGrath. very hard to split

Do you take a kid who has the outside class mixed with a bit of an inside game (when your midfield will have Heppell, Parish, Merrett and Zaka for foreseeable future) or an inside competitor with breakaway pace, tackling pressure, athleticism to bely his size and a defensive side to his game (when your inside mids are all over 27)

i dont envy the recruiters this decision.
I think both become very good AFL footballers. 1 may become a star. Both may do. Or neither.
Eagerly await who we call out and will be happy either way.

McCluggage/McGrath. very hard to split

Do you take a kid who has the outside class mixed with a bit of an inside game (when your midfield will have Heppell, Parish, Merrett and Zaka for foreseeable future) or an inside competitor with breakaway pace, tackling pressure, athleticism to bely his size and a defensive side to his game (when your inside mids are all over 27)

i dont envy the recruiters this decision.
I think both become very good AFL footballers. 1 may become a star. Both may do. Or neither.
Eagerly await who we call out and will be happy either way.

Hindsight will have the answer. I don't envy the recruiters decision either, especially when you have a clear majority of people ITK rating McCluggage as the number 1 prospect and reports suggesting you will pick McGrath. McGrath's height worries me in terms of being a full time midfielder.

You need a lot more than 4 midfielders in today's game.

Hope he turns out to be a star, because the kid is genuine quality. Worst case he is an undersized half back flanker/back pocket.

Hindsight will have the answer. I don't envy the recruiters decision either, especially when you have a clear majority of people ITK rating McCluggage as the number 1 prospect and reports suggesting you will pick McGrath. McGrath's height worries me in terms of being a full time midfielder.

You need a lot more than 4 midfielders in today's game.

Hope he turns out to be a star, because the kid is genuine quality. Worst case he is an undersized half back flanker/back pocket.
If i focus on under 26yo players, our midfield for the next 3-4 years goes:
Heppell
Merrett
Zaka
Parish
Colyer

Thats the full time list
Also available to run through there are
Langford
Laverde
Tippa
Francis
Gleeson

McGrath wouldnt need to be a full time mid, but even if he was, we'd balance ok with his size.

He reminds me of what Mills will become. A kid who starts HBF and finds his feet before becoming a genuine onballer.
Either way though, i dont care who we add out of the two. Our midfield stocks are looking alright.

This kid is bloody good from the 5 games I have seen him at AFL level.
He's great!

A lot easier for players of his size though (see, Lewis Taylor) compared to bigger sized players

Be interesting to see what his ceiling is in a few years time compared to players like McCluggage, SPS, SPP etc I think that is where the big question is.

Plenty of time before we start all being hindsight heroes.

He's great!

A lot easier for players of his size though (see, Lewis Taylor) compared to bigger sized players

Be interesting to see what his ceiling is in a few years time compared to players like McCluggage, SPS, SPP etc I think that is where the big question is.

Plenty of time before we start all being hindsight heroes.
SPS is only 1cm taller though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back