Toast Andy Otten retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Never expected Otto to coach,

Box Hill just added some serious talent to its list with retired AFL stars Brett Deledio and Andy Otten joining the club http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-14...-crow-join-hawthorn-set-to-play-with-box-hill

Wonder what his salary is for it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why not?

He was virtually doing that in all his SANFL games and off field this year if you listened to Jordy Butts, Will Hamill and Lachie Sholl speak at season's end or where they were quoted in articles.

Why not?

He was virtually doing that in all his SANFL games and off field this year if you listened to Jordy Butts, Will Hamill and Lachie Sholl speak at season's end or where they were quoted in articles.

Just never thought he had the ambition to coach is all.
He was talking about applying for regular person jobs a couple of months ago.
I’m glad for him, and hope he turns it into something, just always saw him as a player that would fade into the sunset I suppose.

Just never thought he had the ambition to coach is all.
He was talking about applying for regular person jobs a couple of months ago.
I’m glad for him, and hope he turns it into something, just always saw him as a player that would fade into the sunset I suppose.

He always seemed a bit more intelligent than the average footballer, hopefully he's got the chops to be a good coach.

Never expected Otto to coach,

Box Hill just added some serious talent to its list with retired AFL stars Brett Deledio and Andy Otten joining the club http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-14...-crow-join-hawthorn-set-to-play-with-box-hill

Wonder what his salary is for it.

Never expected him to coach you say???
He basically ran the SANFL on field stuff. His leadership and knowledge of the game is great. No reason he wont be a good coach

Never expected him to coach you say???
He basically ran the SANFL on field stuff. His leadership and knowledge of the game is great. No reason he wont be a good coach

Recently retired Adelaide Crow Andy Otten said he’s excited to work with former Richmond and GWS star Brett Deledio in his new role at Hawthorn’s VFL affiliate Box Hill.
The 30-year-old, who grew up as a Hawks fan, joined the club as a part-time development coach this past week, but will also play for Box Hill.
Speaking with Adam Cooney and Andrew Hayes on SEN on Friday morning, Otten said he rejected the advances of other clubs prior to accepting the role. “I spoke to a couple of SANFL clubs as well about coaching roles,” he said.
“But, the Hawks one was too good to refuse.
“Clarko (Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson) reached out about the role at the Hawks and then I went through an interview process.
“When he texted me, I had to ask Ricky Henderson to make sure it was his number and that nobody was taking the mickey about him wanting to catch up with me.”
Otten will be working alongside Deledio in similar roles, and it’s something the ex-Crow is excited about.
“I’ve never really met him, I’m eager to meet and work with him,” he said.
“We only learned two weeks ago that we got the role.
“I think I’ll be helping out (backline coach) Chris Newman.
“I’m sure once the season starts, he’ll be with the AFL boys and I’ll take the VFL boys and go through the pre-game and post-game stuff with them.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sad to see Andy retire, but to persevere the way he did was a real credit to himself. Happy that he will be in a coaching role, and he's one I would like to see return to the club as a coach.

Those bloody knees cost him dearly. He would have been a real star instead of a very good player.

All the best Otto.

He deserves some good luck in football, hopefully this is just the start of a quality coaching career :thumbsu:

I liked your post. But, Otto got to play in a GF that wasn’t deserved. He’s about evens in terms of luck. Very few get to suit up and run on to the G on the last day in September. Andy did that but it was thoroughly undeserved. He benefitted from an incompetent coaching group and club culture. That he fizzled out in the 1s whilst our club turned to s**t explains everything wrong with our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back