Toast Andy Otten retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth watching the package on the club website .. addressing the playing group, highlights etc

He flagged an interest for coaching in an interview after the last game vs Sturt. He came across as genuinely passionate, and in particular enjoying spending time down back with Butts, Hamill and Sholl.

Hope its not the last we see of him

That 2009 season was glorious

Were he and Doedee both 2nd in the Rising Star in their first full season then immediately did ACL's?

Wonderful servant, rarely let us down and still had a decent career but oh what might have been. In the age of tall midfielders he could have been a pioneer.

Last edited:
While most remember his 2009 season I loved seeing back in 2013 kicking goals and playing in the Ruck. He starred in the game where we beat the Cats at Footy Park without Danger or Tex playing. Sad to see him go but it is his time.

Worth watching the package on the club website .. addressing the playing group, highlights etc

He flagged an interest for coaching in an interview after the last game vs Sturt. He came across as genuinely passionate, and in particular enjoying spending time down back with Butts, Hamill and Sholl.

Hope its not the last we see of him
Would love to have him in a coaching role at the club, AFTER he’s spent years being successful elsewhere.

Would love to have him in a coaching role at the club, AFTER he’s spent years being successful elsewhere.
I'd be happy if he just went to another club and had success. By the same token, a year here in replacing a Reilly for example wouldn't upset me too much either

The irony out of his retirement, is that all clubs are seeking players exactly of his type - the "utility".
He has been arguably our best swingman/utility since he came to the Crows. Was an absolute gun defender that had fans all excited in his first season. Looked to be a possible gun big-bodied midfielder with his smarts and ball use (prior to his knee injuries). Then he was able to play excellent games up forward, and pinch hit in the ruck for the past few years.

Good luck to you, Otto! Hopefully the club can find Andy Otten version 2.0 ASAP!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the most underappreciated, underutilised and most persistent players to play for the club. I feel like his career isn't properly acknowledged, even here.

I think he's pretty well acknowledged and liked mate.

Unfortunately, knee injuries destroyed his career - he should been a tall, smooth moving midfielder, but he lost his agility and pace :(

It's a good career, not a great career - but through no fault of his own.

Thanks Andy. I'll always remember that should of been mark against Pies in the last few minutes. it was Leo Barry esque, but unfortunately Rutten was holding J.Anthony...

He was a smart footballer who had some tricks in his early days.

Handsome bugger, too.

What did he say?
He was talking about things he would miss and he mentioned Talia. It went something along the lines of "I'm going to miss Daniel Talia's new injury every monday morning....only to come up cherry by friday night".

He was either calling him out for being soft or maybe just calling him a hypochondriac. Either way it's hilarious.

Richard Douglas next up....

Good bloke, good clubman. Shame injuries ruined his career somewhat, he was very good in his first few seasons.

All the best to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back