Ange Postecoglou Thread - Leading The Way

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
We'll never develop as a footballing nation if we just sit back and hope to score on a counter or off a set piece. It was always going to take a full world cup cycle and more for the players to get use to playing the way he wanted, especially when coming from the style we previously had.

The FFA well and truly knew what Ange was going to do and they didn't have the balls to stand up to the Fox Sports "experts".
Delusional to think it's possible but that's just my opinion. To do that you need talent, our players barely play overseas and the ones that get time are in lower euro leagues. They simply cannot match it at that level. Stick to your strengths, we're never going to play a top 30 nation off the park with technical nous and pretty football. Unfortunate but that's the reality

IF (big if) our players are ever regularly playing overseas rather than being benchwarmers & cameo acts a coach can change national team philosophy. It just isn't feasible with the squad we had now or when Ange was in charge...

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Delusional to think it's possible but that's just my opinion. To do that you need talent, our players barely play overseas and the ones that get time are in lower euro leagues. They simply cannot match it at that level. Stick to your strengths, we're never going to play a top 30 nation off the park with technical nous and pretty football. Unfortunate but that's the reality

IF (big if) our players are ever regularly playing overseas rather than being benchwarmers & cameo acts a coach can change national team philosophy. It just isn't feasible with the squad we had now or when Ange was in charge...
The issue is the national curriculum was sort of dictated by the playing style the national coach wanted (to a degree). If players are only being taught a "negative" style of football then the type of players we churn out aren't going to be as technically gifted as they should.

Agree 100% that some of the advice given to youngster about getting overseas has been detrimental to a lot of them. Playing regularly is something that doesn't seem to be forced home hard enough to these kids when an overseas team comes knocking.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins

GET IN ANGE !!!!

Robbie Slater and The Sydney anti Ange establishment can eat s**t.

Can't keep a good Melbourne boy down (and a mad Carlton fan as well) 👍👍👍

What an achievement by Ange in only his second season. He has credits to ply his trade in a big European league now. Hopefully they can look past the 'Australia is a footballing backward' that a lot of Europeans still believe. Highly doubt it through.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Still no words of congratulations from Fozzle on Twitter. Was a fan of Craig Foster for what he did for Hakeem, that was brilliant, but this petty feud he has had with Ange just seems, well petty.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
The best thing is though, he goes the "blocked" comment then blocks the person so you know it cuts deep.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
For staters it's 'Celtic'.

Massive fan of the guy but this isn't the gig for him. He can't spend a season working s**t out and developing the squad. It's win win win from the get go in a two horse race. If he couldn't handle the witch hunt from Slater etc to get their mate in to the Socceroos job then how is he going to take on the Rangers-biased press.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
For staters it's 'Celtic'.

Massive fan of the guy but this isn't the gig for him. He can't spend a season working sh*t out and developing the squad. It's win win win from the get go in a two horse race. If he couldn't handle the witch hunt from Slater etc to get their mate in to the Socceroos job then how is he going to take on the Rangers-biased press.
🤣🤣🤣

Up there with calling Sky News pro-ALP.

He’ll get the most heat from Celtic fans who are still in denial that Rangers are simply better than them. It’s a tough situation to walk in to at the moment and if he can turn it around, all power to him.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Bump

Ange linked to Celtic and Celtic fans are going nuts they don’t like it!

Love how Celtic fans think they deserve better. They’re not a big club, haven’t been for decades. Rangers smashed them in the league this season. They’re a stepping board for bigger clubs in Europe for coaches, simple as that.
Rodgers gone on to Leicester.

If their fans actually read Angel’s resume, it’s actually a sound appointment. But they think they deserve some overrated Scottish hack like Lennon..

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
🤣🤣🤣

Up there with calling Sky News pro-ALP.

He’ll get the most heat from Celtic fans who are still in denial that Rangers are simply better than them. It’s a tough situation to walk in to at the moment and if he can turn it around, all power to him.
Exactly. Celtic are in bit of transition. Meh team with meh players. Ange won’t get the guarantee of development though.

CFC_JP

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Ange must be the only Aussie born coach to have succeeded as a manager outside of Australia.
I was a huge fan of his as a player and even more so as a manager. I hope he does get the Celtic job and succeeds as I'd love to see him manage in the EPL.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Ange must be the only Aussie born coach to have succeeded as a manager outside of Australia.
I was a huge fan of his as a player and even more so as a manager. I hope he does get the Celtic job and succeeds as I'd love to see him manage in the EPL.

well not quite Mehmet Durakovic has been highly successful overseas too all be it in Malaysia which is no J-League but still worthy a mention.

CFC_JP

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
well not quite Mehmet Durakovic has been highly successful overseas too all be it in Malaysia which is no J-League but still worthy a mention.

I reckon the teams in the Malaysian top division would struggle in the Victorian NPL. Also, Mehmet failed at Victory. I'm a huge fan of Mehmet as a player but he's found his level as a coach in Malaysia.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I reckon the teams in the Malaysian top division would struggle in the Victorian NPL. Also, Mehmet failed at Victory. I'm a huge fan of Mehmet as a player but he's found his level as a coach in Malaysia.

Point I was making is Ange isn't the only coach to be successful outside of Australia.

Back