Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Will this man be the next Australian To Coach the National Team?

He has Brisbane player like guns, playing great football, that is world class. Is on his way to beat an Australian record for most games undefeated ect

Does anyone think this guy could be the next Australian to Coach the Socceroos? or are we destined to have foreigners coach us for a while yet?

Not that this is a bad thing, many if not most countries do have overseas coaches coach national teams.

I think Ange might be able to do it, with the manner in which he coaches, and the fact that he has Brisbane playing such attractive and effective football atm?

Thoughts

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Will this man be the next Australian To Coach the National Team?

He has Brisbane player like guns, playing great football, that is world class. Is on his way to beat an Australian record for most games undefeated ect

Does anyone think this guy could be the next Australian to Coach the Socceroos? or are we destined to have foreigners coach us for a while yet?

Not that this is a bad thing, many if not most countries do have overseas coaches coach national teams.

I think Ange might be able to do it, with the manner in which he coaches, and the fact that he has Brisbane playing such attractive and effective football atm?

Thoughts

People have short memories. His time as coach of the national youth sides were nothing short of awful. Still has to prove a lot to get anywhere near the national set up again. Also, his grand final opponent last season was Graham Arnold and look what he did with the national side.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
People have short memories. His time as coach of the national youth sides were nothing short of awful. Still has to prove a lot to get anywhere near the national set up again. Also, his grand final opponent last season was Graham Arnold and look what he did with the national side.

This is all true, but there is still what 2-2.5 years until the next world cup and i am more than happy with Osiek until this time. After this time National coaches have a habit of leaving straight after world cup campaigns.

So you say he needs time to prove himself? obviously, but the last 1.5 seasons at Brisbane have been great, if he keeps this up would you say he is a chance in 2014/15?

I am looking post the current campaign?

And also at how we wouldnt even have really thrown an Australians name around for a national position 2 years ago, now maybe he is worth atleast a thought

May 25, 2009
Mt Buller Slums
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton FC, MVFC
I expect Ange to have a go overseas at club level in the next couple of seasons, most likely with a big Asian club. He is already being linked with big money moves to a couple of J-League teams. Can't see him anywhere near the national team for a while yet- maybe if he has success at his next club things will change though.

The national youth sides where not really much chop though if I'm remembering right

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
I expect Ange to have a go overseas at club level in the next couple of seasons, most likely with a big Asian club. He is already being linked with big money moves to a couple of J-League teams. Can't see him anywhere near the national team for a while yet- maybe if he has success at his next club things will change though.
Could be wrong, but hasn't he already coached in Greece with quite some success?

Dec 4, 2003
Doncaster
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Yeah he had the team ready for promotion to 2nd division but the owner who is a Greek Australian wanted to pick the side instead of Ange so he quit also the team missed promotion and the loyal fans of that club still wanna hunt down and kill the Greek Australian president.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg

crowsarethebest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
While I rate Ange as a coach, I think it also shows that the A-League coaching setups are substandard. Both Ange and Arnold struggled to an extent with international duties, however have slotted into the A-League and have been 2 of the best coaches so far in the A-League. Sure individually the players are getting better, with the likes of Emerton and Kewell coming back.. however the coaching is very poor IMO. Our league won't grow until we get better coaches who are better tactically, and are better developers of youth.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
While I rate Ange as a coach, I think it also shows that the A-League coaching setups are substandard. Both Ange and Arnold struggled to an extent with international duties, however have slotted into the A-League and have been 2 of the best coaches so far in the A-League. Sure individually the players are getting better, with the likes of Emerton and Kewell coming back.. however the coaching is very poor IMO. Our league won't grow until we get better coaches who are better tactically, and are better developers of youth.
Problem is we can't compete financially with what is on offer o'seas. Even in second rate comps.

Yokohama looking to extend his contract. Took them from near bottom to 12th in first season, now has them second with three games to go playing attacking football.

Locals seem to love him...

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Is there some former international who sat on the bench for a Premier League medal trying to white ant him?

Tremendous effort from Ange and a fu** you to those that turfed him. We didn't deserve someone like this.
Yep, should have been backed to the end of the world. The first few years were going to be hard but the reward would have changed the way the game is played throughout the country.

Sadly, we have Robbie Slater and his merry men proclaiming GOAT status when we beat Nepal and Chinese Tapei back to back.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I didn't like Ange as the coach of the national side in the end. We simply don't have the cattle to try and play like Brazil and his tactics were detrimental

He can clearly coach, that's undeniable with his efforts at club level but the last 12-18 months for us were bang average and his stubbornness almost cost us a spot at the WC. We should have qualified with a leg in the air

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
Yeah too easy to hindsight bag slater for saying what he did. His tactics at national team level were weird and it wasn't a good fit. 1 game he played a 3-2-4-1 and started mooy on the bench, an injury occurred 10 mins in and mooy was subbed on because it wasnt working.

But give him the players and the time and he's a great coach

I didn't like Ange as the coach of the national side in the end. We simply don't have the cattle to try and play like Brazil and his tactics were detrimental

He can clearly coach, that's undeniable with his efforts at club level but the last 12-18 months for us were bang average and his stubbornness almost cost us a spot at the WC. We should have qualified with a leg in the air
We had no bloody strikers and created a shedload of opportunities, some against quality opposition.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
We had no bloody strikers and created a shedload of opportunities, some against quality opposition.
He should have played a defensive game against Japan in Japan though when all we needed was a draw. Other than that, I didn’t understand why he was pushed. ******* dunderheads at the front couldn’t dribble a ball into an open goal alright.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool

We'll never develop as a footballing nation if we just sit back and hope to score on a counter or off a set piece. It was always going to take a full world cup cycle and more for the players to get use to playing the way he wanted, especially when coming from the style we previously had.

The FFA well and truly knew what Ange was going to do and they didn't have the balls to stand up to the Fox Sports "experts".

Back