Remove this Banner Ad

Yezeha

All Australian
Feb 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Wow. That was ******* s**t. Pretty much played 12 vs 21 because our forward 6 was non existent and the campaigners in yellow were clearly playing favourites. This isn't gonna be a happy review. No stupid nicknames this week and there are a few that are gonna cop a fair bit so strap in. I'm gonna persevere with the player ratings but I tell you, nobody got any higher than 7 and there will be one or two seriously low ratings sprinkled throughout. Gonna be quite a controversial week considering how s**t we played so feel free to tear into my s**t opinions if you'd like.

2. Jordan De Goey (6/10)

Spent more time in the midfield this week thanks to Pendlebury's injury and unsurprisingly, didn't have the same impact as last week. Not much else to say about his game apart from "meh".

3. Daniel Wells (4/10)

Spent a lot of time as a part of the ******* trainwreck that was our forward half structure and his game really epitomised the whole day. 3 behinds and 2 of them were seriously gettable, even easy for a player of his class. Still, I guess being his first game back, I'm prepared to cut him some slack.

4. Brodie Grundy (5/10)

After the blistering form he showed in our three game winning streak, the Grundog has crashed back down to Earth a bit with three mediocre to poor performances by his standards. Admittedly, he looked better this week than last, but I was hoping for a much more dominant display from the big man today. Disappointing.

7. Adam Treloar (6/10)

Worked hard and was probably our best midfielder of the day. Can't ever question his effort but his execution, particularly by foot, was shithouse today. We can't afford having two of our best players in him and Wells blowing 6 goal scoring opportunities between them. Huge reason why we shot ourselves in the foot in an admittedly better second half.

9. Sam Murray (4/10)

After some blistering displays to start the year, 'Zippy' (thats my ******* nickname for him - if you don't like it, write your own ******* player review) has come back down to Earth a bit. Was far from our worst today and probably won't be dropped but it was probably his most subdued and hesitant performance for the year. His ball use has also regressed a little bit.

12. Matthew Scharenberg (7/10)

Best player for the day by a mile. One of the few good ball users getting 29 touches at 82% and once again defended well. Kept his direct opponent Parsons completely out of the game and gave plenty of aerial support and drive going the other way.

13. Taylor Adams (4/10, reader discretion is advised)

Sigh. I like Adams. I really do. He's a real goer. But unfortunately, I've come to realise that unless he makes some drastic changes to his game, we won't ever be a great team with him in the side. Way too shaky with some of his decision making and too much of a turnover merchant to really help us polish what we're trying to build as a team.

15. Lynden Dunn (4/10)

Harsh grade maybe? Not in my opinion. Was pretty bad by foot with a couple of howlers and let Ratagololoiuedojhoasjdioas (I'm too angry to find out how to spell his name right) off the hook too much. Luckily Ratatouille is too inexperienced to really make him pay right now. I think overall, Dunn has had a down year compared to last year.

16. Chris Mayne (6/10)

Ok here goes.

It says quite a lot about our performance that this guy was one of our better players for the day. Presented well for 25 touches, 10 marks and did well defensively with 9 tackles. I thought he was serviceable in the wing position once Phillips went down. Definitely did enough to warrant another game but he is not best 22.

17. Callum Brown (2/10)

Harsh on the kid but he was our worst player on the ground and one of the reasons the Geelong defence had a field day. I see a lot of the comparisons to Blair and to be brutally honest, they're fair. We already have enough non-threats by foot. This kid is probably the worst in the team. Glaringly obvious when he couldn't even make the distance on what would be a routine set shot for just about everyone else in the team.

18. Travis Varcoe (2/10)

Yuck. I normally love what Varcoe brings to the team but today, he was s**t. Normally, he does a lot of 'glue guy' things that don't show up on the stat sheet but today, his stats reflect his performance. Was another gear in the s**t truck of a forward line today.

21. Tom Phillips (6/10 for the time he was on)

Not much to say about his game even before he copped that unfortunate knee to the head. He did kick 40% of our goals today in only about 60% game time, and all of our goals when he was on, so I guess there's that.

22. Steele Sidebottom (5/10)

Disappointing. He picked up a 30 piece but it really felt like an empty 30 piece considering how little impact he actually had. It was a game we really needed him to stand up in considering the absence of Pendles but he just didn't.

24. Josh Thomas (4/10)

We continue to ride the rollercoaster that is Josh Thomas. To me, he's pretty much a cream on the cake kind of player who will really cash in and help us hammer home our advantage when we're on top but disappear when we're not up and about.

25. Jack Crisp (6/10)

As a defensive player, he was good. 11 tackles is always great. On the attack, eh not so much. 32 touches and was one of the few who had the intent to really take the game on in the dour slog-fest that was the first half, but his execution was poor. Pretty much the story of Jack's career.

30. Darcy Moore (N/A)

His hamstrings suck. But hey, at least we get a McClarty debut next week :)

31. Flynn Appleby (7/10)

He was ok. Bounced back well from what I thought was a poor showing in Brisbane. He kept his matchup in check and wasn't bad using the ball going the other way, really the opposite of last week.

32. Will Hoskin-Elliott (4/10)

Competed well in the air but he needed to clunk some of those attempts he was flying for. Was probably our most threatening forward today and kept his record of kicking a goal in every game intact. Other than that, meh.

35. Jaidyn Stephenson (3/10)

Maybe harsh but being part of that dysfunctional mess of a forward line has hurt a lot of the player's ratings so far. Didn't do a lot and the Cats did well to stop he and Murray from using their pace to hurt them. Still a jet though.

38. Jeremy Howe (7/10)

I have a theory. The more involved Jeremy Howe is in the game, the worse the team is playing. In our earlier wins, I'm pretty sure Howe's numbers were actually down on last year. In our last three losses, Howe has had 30, 30 and 27. He also got big numbers last year when we were losing. This isn't a shot at Howe who, in my opinion, does his job to an All-Australian standard week-in, week-out. Just an interesting observation.

In saying that, he was great today. Really stifled Dangerfield when he was resting forward and gave a lot of drive going the other way. Gave away one (soft as baby s**t) free kick which resulted in a goal but was outstanding. His rating today suffers because I'm in a s**t mood and I said I wasn't giving any higher than 7.

39. Ben Crocker (2/10)

Passenger. Enough said. As I've said before, I love his work rate but he really provides nothing outside of that. His two efforts on goal were both bush-league standard and he was a non factor pressure wise. Please Bucks. We need some Fas magic.

46. Mason Cox (3/10)

Tempted to give him a 2/10 because he was a liability at ground level. Took a couple of nice grabs but its really hard when the delivery is s**t AND his opponent (Harry Taylor) has never given away a free kick for his whole life.

And finally:

Bucks: 2/10

If your team only kicks 1 goal in a half of football, you've done a s**t job strategically. Surely some sort of adjustment needed to be made at some point during the game considering how we were continuously breaking down once we entered the forward half. The astronomically low ratings I've given the forwards this week is largely on Bucks. He was thoroughly outcoached by Chris Scott who, to his credit, had his team very well prepared for our offensive schemes. The lack of plan B from Bucks was glaringly obvious.

Which brings us to changes.

Out: Moore (inj), Crocker, Brown,
In: McClarty, Fasolo, Pendlebury

I didn't watch the VFL game but those three need to come in and replace some deadweight the senior side is carrying right now. If Phillips isn't good to go next week, then we gotta bring in Sier. Anyway, that's the end of the angry edition of the player review. Hopefully, this is the last of its kind for the year (it won't be) and the rest of the reviews are happy to neutral.

Wow. That was ******* s**t. Pretty much played 12 vs 21 because our forward 6 was non existent and the campaigners in yellow were clearly playing favourites. This isn't gonna be a happy review. No stupid nicknames this week and there are a few that are gonna cop a fair bit so strap in. I'm gonna persevere with the player ratings but I tell you, nobody got any higher than 7 and there will be one or two seriously low ratings sprinkled throughout. Gonna be quite a controversial week considering how s**t we played so feel free to tear into my s**t opinions if you'd like.

2. Jordan De Goey (6/10)

Spent more time in the midfield this week thanks to Pendlebury's injury and unsurprisingly, didn't have the same impact as last week. Not much else to say about his game apart from "meh".

3. Daniel Wells (4/10)

Spent a lot of time as a part of the ******* trainwreck that was our forward half structure and his game really epitomised the whole day. 3 behinds and 2 of them were seriously gettable, even easy for a player of his class. Still, I guess being his first game back, I'm prepared to cut him some slack.

4. Brodie Grundy (5/10)

After the blistering form he showed in our three game winning streak, the Grundog has crashed back down to Earth a bit with three mediocre to poor performances by his standards. Admittedly, he looked better this week than last, but I was hoping for a much more dominant display from the big man today. Disappointing.

7. Adam Treloar (6/10)

Worked hard and was probably our best midfielder of the day. Can't ever question his effort but his execution, particularly by foot, was shithouse today. We can't afford having two of our best players in him and Wells blowing 6 goal scoring opportunities between them. Huge reason why we shot ourselves in the foot in an admittedly better second half.

9. Sam Murray (4/10)

After some blistering displays to start the year, 'Zippy' (thats my ******* nickname for him - if you don't like it, write your own ******* player review) has come back down to Earth a bit. Was far from our worst today and probably won't be dropped but it was probably his most subdued and hesitant performance for the year. His ball use has also regressed a little bit.

Best player for the day by a mile. One of the few good ball users getting 29 touches at 82% and once again defended well. Kept his direct opponent Parsons completely out of the game and gave plenty of aerial support and drive going the other way.

Sigh. I like Adams. I really do. He's a real goer. But unfortunately, I've come to realise that unless he makes some drastic changes to his game, we won't ever be a great team with him in the side. Way too shaky with some of his decision making and too much of a turnover merchant to really help us polish what we're trying to build as a team.

15. Lynden Dunn (4/10)

Harsh grade maybe? Not in my opinion. Was pretty bad by foot with a couple of howlers and let Ratagololoiuedojhoasjdioas (I'm too angry to find out how to spell his name right) off the hook too much. Luckily Ratatouille is too inexperienced to really make him pay right now. I think overall, Dunn has had a down year compared to last year.

16. Chris Mayne (6/10)

Ok here goes.

It says quite a lot about our performance that this guy was one of our better players for the day. Presented well for 25 touches, 10 marks and did well defensively with 9 tackles. I thought he was serviceable in the wing position once Phillips went down. Definitely did enough to warrant another game but he is not best 22.

17. Callum Brown (2/10)

Harsh on the kid but he was our worst player on the ground and one of the reasons the Geelong defence had a field day. I see a lot of the comparisons to Blair and to be brutally honest, they're fair. We already have enough non-threats by foot. This kid is probably the worst in the team. Glaringly obvious when he couldn't even make the distance on what would be a routine set shot for just about everyone else in the team.

18. Travis Varcoe (2/10)

Yuck. I normally love what Varcoe brings to the team but today, he was s**t. Normally, he does a lot of 'glue guy' things that don't show up on the stat sheet but today, his stats reflect his performance. Was another gear in the s**t truck of a forward line today.

Not much to say about his game even before he copped that unfortunate knee to the head. He did kick 40% of our goals today in only about 60% game time, and all of our goals when he was on, so I guess there's that.

Disappointing. He picked up a 30 piece but it really felt like an empty 30 piece considering how little impact he actually had. It was a game we really needed him to stand up in considering the absence of Pendles but he just didn't.

24. Josh Thomas (4/10)

We continue to ride the rollercoaster that is Josh Thomas. To me, he's pretty much a cream on the cake kind of player who will really cash in and help us hammer home our advantage when we're on top but disappear when we're not up and about.

25. Jack Crisp (6/10)

As a defensive player, he was good. 11 tackles is always great. On the attack, eh not so much. 32 touches and was one of the few who had the intent to really take the game on in the dour slog-fest that was the first half, but his execution was poor. Pretty much the story of Jack's career.

30. Darcy Moore (N/A)

31. Flynn Appleby (7/10)

He was ok. Bounced back well from what I thought was a poor showing in Brisbane. He kept his matchup in check and wasn't bad using the ball going the other way, really the opposite of last week.

Competed well in the air but he needed to clunk some of those attempts he was flying for. Was probably our most threatening forward today and kept his record of kicking a goal in every game intact. Other than that, meh.

Maybe harsh but being part of that dysfunctional mess of a forward line has hurt a lot of the player's ratings so far. Didn't do a lot and the Cats did well to stop he and Murray from using their pace to hurt them. Still a jet though.

38. Jeremy Howe (7/10)

I have a theory. The more involved Jeremy Howe is in the game, the worse the team is playing. In our earlier wins, I'm pretty sure Howe's numbers were actually down on last year. In our last three losses, Howe has had 30, 30 and 27. He also got big numbers last year when we were losing. This isn't a shot at Howe who, in my opinion, does his job to an All-Australian standard week-in, week-out. Just an interesting observation.

In saying that, he was great today. Really stifled Dangerfield when he was resting forward and gave a lot of drive going the other way. Gave away one (soft as baby s**t) free kick which resulted in a goal but was outstanding. His rating today suffers because I'm in a s**t mood and I said I wasn't giving any higher than 7.

39. Ben Crocker (2/10)

Passenger. Enough said. As I've said before, I love his work rate but he really provides nothing outside of that. His two efforts on goal were both bush-league standard and he was a non factor pressure wise. Please Bucks. We need some Fas magic.

46. Mason Cox (3/10)

Tempted to give him a 2/10 because he was a liability at ground level. Took a couple of nice grabs but its really hard when the delivery is s**t AND his opponent (Harry Taylor) has never given away a free kick for his whole life.

And finally:

If your team only kicks 1 goal in a half of football, you've done a s**t job strategically. Surely some sort of adjustment needed to be made at some point during the game considering how we were continuously breaking down once we entered the forward half. The astronomically low ratings I've given the forwards this week is largely on Bucks. He was thoroughly outcoached by Chris Scott who, to his credit, had his team very well prepared for our offensive schemes. The lack of plan B from Bucks was glaringly obvious.

I didn't watch the VFL game but those three need to come in and replace some deadweight the senior side is carrying right now. If Phillips isn't good to go next week, then we gotta bring in Sier. Anyway, that's the end of the angry edition of the player review. Hopefully, this is the last of its kind for the year (it won't be) and the rest of the reviews are happy to neutral.
Too much anger

Wells aside, I didn't think anyone was that bad, but Geelong were able to cut up our game plan. They blocked off our chains of handball, and zoned back well to cut off our long down the line, leaving us scratching our head and unable to move the footy. Scott vs Bucks and not the players from either team decided that game of footy.

I thought Crisp was our best today. I know his disposal wasn’t great at times, it he ran, won plenty of 1 on 1 contests and was at least trying to break the game open.

Crocker to this day still provides less than nothing. Anyone that still sees something in him should have their eyes removed and then be lobotomised for good measure.

He’s not tall
He’s not fast
He’s not strong
He’s not smart
He’s not a great mark
He’s not a dead eye

Soooooooo what is he? I’d say he’s basically a young version of Mayne, but Mayne when he was young was a good player. Crocker is literally nothing. Even Jason Wild was considered courageous at least.

Crocker to this day still provides less than nothing. Anyone that still sees something in him should have their eyes removed and then be lobotomised for good measure.

He’s not tall
He’s not fast
He’s not strong
He’s not smart
He’s not a great mark
He’s not a dead eye

Soooooooo what is he? I’d say he’s basically a young version of Mayne, but Mayne when he was young was a good player. Crocker is literally nothing. Even Jason Wild was considered courageous at least.

I reckon he'll end up a solid AFL player, but he's pretty ordinary at the moment. To me, he is smart, gets to great spots and is a great competitor. Unfortunately he becomes flustered and tends to stuff up when he has a chance and it's his turn to do something.

Thought Crisp was best on.

Howe and Dunn were good, as was Shaz.

Outside that crop i fail to give anyone anything better than a C+. Average at best.

Good: Crisp, Howe, Treloar, Scharenberg, Mayne
OK: Degoey, Sidebottom, Phillips, Dunn, Grundy, Cox
Below par: Hoskin-Elliot, Appleby, Murray, Crocker, Brown, Stephenson,
Woeful: Wells, Adams, Thomas, Varcoe

I reckon he'll end up a solid AFL player, but he's pretty ordinary at the moment. To me, he is smart, gets to great spots and is a great competitor. Unfortunately he becomes flustered and tends to stuff up when he has a chance and it's his turn to do something.
So...Fas in until then?!

Crocker unfortunately doesn't have a definable skill that should get him a game ahead of a guy like Fasolo. Different if he was contributing 1.5 goals a game, but at the moment he's not having the impact.

Murray's skills were shocking today (the whole teams were to be honest) and probably needs a rest. He runs like a madman, but hasn't executed well for weeks. Needs a spell.

Also, re selection: why didn't we bring Sier in for today? Kid is primed for a run in the seniors and could have released JDG to be more of a forward target.

Good: Crisp, Howe, Treloar, Scharenberg, Mayne
OK: Degoey, Sidebottom, Phillips, Dunn, Grundy, Cox
Below par: Hoskin-Elliot, Appleby, Murray, Crocker, Brown, Stephenson,
Woeful: Wells, Adams, Thomas, Varcoe
Lol what? First two lines read fine and then you lose the plot,

Good: Crisp, Howe, Treloar, Scharenberg, Mayne, Phillips (while he was on)
OK: Degoey, Sidebottom, Appleby, Dunn, Grundy, Cox, Wells
Below par: Hoskin-Elliot, Adams, Murray,
Woeful: Thomas, Varcoe, Crocker, Brown, Stephenson

Moore was woeful before injury too.

The woeful five were our clear worst on ground by a mile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Crisp was our best today. I know his disposal wasn’t great at times, it he ran, won plenty of 1 on 1 contests and was at least trying to break the game open.

He’s not tall
He’s not fast
He’s not strong
He’s not smart
He’s not a great mark
He’s not a dead eye

Hes not confident or composed either. Two admittedly difficult shots on goal were shanked horribly because he had no belief that he was going to get remotely close.

Last edited:
I'm concerned by Nathan's press conference.
He used the phrase "we are blessed with role pkayers" when quizzed about bringing in some forward players for Moore's injury.

This is alarming when we have more than a role player- we have a natural forward rotting away at VFL level.

This is why our forward line is dysfunctional-,the thinking from the coach says it all.

As for some of our forward 50 players- we seem to have the wrong players on the end of passages of play that amount to nothing.
Take for example Cox and Brown.
Both took marks 45m on the 45 degree and anyone watching could tell you neither was capable of making the distance.
This is alarming if both are going to be permanent forward 50 players because their kick will end up to a flooded contest and most likely be wasted.

He’s not tall
He’s not fast
He’s not strong
He’s not smart
He’s not a great mark
He’s not a dead eye

Agree re Crisp was great. 11 tackles, 642 m gained. Shaz was outstanding also. His best game for Collingwood.

To the OP: Great review, I love your work. :)

Shaz & Crisp best of the lot, & Treloar-Sidey for effort...

Seemed like the wheels fell off for Dunn, Murray, Varcoe, Stephenson, & Adams.

Wells will be better for the run but he will need an injury free run for a few weeks before he gets match fit. Can he stave off injury?

Can't get myself to review Mayne. :)

2. Jordan De Goey (6/10)

3. Daniel Wells (4/10)

4. Brodie Grundy (5/10)

7. Adam Treloar (6/10)

9. Sam Murray (4/10)

15. Lynden Dunn (4/10)

16. Chris Mayne (6/10)

Ok here goes.

17. Callum Brown (2/10)

18. Travis Varcoe (2/10)

24. Josh Thomas (4/10)

25. Jack Crisp (6/10)

30. Darcy Moore (N/A)

31. Flynn Appleby (7/10)

38. Jeremy Howe (7/10)

39. Ben Crocker (2/10)

46. Mason Cox (3/10)

And finally:

Crisp 8/10
Otherwise agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back