Angus Brayshaw not cited.. touched an umpire

Remove this Banner Ad

If ever a scenario presented which showed the completely lunacy of the AFL's categoric line of "no touching of an umpire" - it was Angus Brayshaw on Saturday night.

I happened to be at the game and the act brought giggles from the crowd.

The low five was a great sign of respect.

Yet we are told "no umpire contact ever".

So we had deliberate umpire contact, and not a peep from the AFL, no charge, no explanation.

Surely they need a mea culpa and say handshakes/high fives or anything respectful is ok. If the kids see it - they'll do it to. That's what we want.

(Same thing happened with SPP with no comment either)

The AFL (at least, Michael Christian) have pretty clearly explained that despite the wording of the rule, players will only be punished if an umpire feels threatened or disrespected, or if it appears to be so, even if the umpire can't remember it.
For example Hawkins swatting away an umpire's hand can be seen as patronising and dismissive, but players who are demonstrating what happened when a call was made (see May, Martin) is okay provided that the umpire was okay with it.
Clearly the AFL doesn't actually care if friendly umpire contact happens. It's the media that's beating it up.
Having said that you're probably right, it would help if they actually officially changed the ruling to indicate this.

Brayshaw got off on coercing that umpire into touching him.

What's the umpire to do? Say no? Look like a dick and the fun police? Or just sit there and get assaulted to the applause of the crowd while his assailant smirks his way past.

Disgusting. AFL should be ashamed. There is no way the umpire consented/didn't feel threatened.

Yes this my hobby horse...

So on the weekend Roughead (i think) put his arm around the umpire

And again "crickets" from the AFL.

So is contact banned or is it what it should be - case by case with common sense

Another incident to highlight the hysterical posturing earlier in the year.

If ever a scenario presented which showed the completely lunacy of the AFL's categoric line of "no touching of an umpire" - it was Angus Brayshaw on Saturday night.

I happened to be at the game and the act brought giggles from the crowd.

The low five was a great sign of respect.

Yet we are told "no umpire contact ever".

So we had deliberate umpire contact, and not a peep from the AFL, no charge, no explanation.

Surely they need a mea culpa and say handshakes/high fives or anything respectful is ok. If the kids see it - they'll do it to. That's what we want.

(Same thing happened with SPP with no comment either)

So let me get this right. You think its complete lunacy that he wasnt reported and that the rule is interpreted with common sense?

So let me get this right. You think its complete lunacy that he wasnt reported and that the rule is interpreted with common sense?

No I think it is complete lunacy the hysteria the AFL came out with earlier when they said no umpire contact is allowed in 100% of cases.

That comment is lunacy.

Ignoring that it's West Coast - we now have a situation where Rioli gets fined for friendly supportive contact (which happened at the absolute height of the hysteria) and Roughead who nothing is said about.

Let me make it very clear, if Roughead got pinged it would have been a disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back