Angus Graham and Luke Mcguane :(

dyl_tigerman

All Australian
Veteran Richmond Tigers - Mark Coughlan 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
the Great Southern Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
So after wathcing the COburg game on Saturday it must be fait accompli that these 2 should never get a game in the yellow and black again...

In yesterdays Sun it said something about Mcguanes 'brilliant' game but i saw him try and take on players too regularly and constantly turn it over. His decision making is poor and his skill execution is terrible.

As for the other man Goose. Good VFL player never again in the AFL. Like Mcguane he puts in a good effort in the 2s but things he did were ridiculous. Missing easy marks giving awy stupid free kicks and poor decision making.

WOuld it be thought now that there are other players that have gone past them and they should now be depth players???

thoughts???

I read the same report and questioned a couple of points as well.
Heres the irony, we actually want McGone and Gus to play well for Coburg, as it keeps the acid on the guys at senior level, but personally, it's great to see them play at Coburg. I am more than happy to give Post 5 to 6 weeks regardless of form a crack at CHB, ala Grimes last year.
McGone's had more than a fair go, its time to see what Posty can do.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
To me it looked like they wanted McGuane to go long and open things up at every opportunity. At AFL level he's safe enough, but doesn't try and do a whole heap. Didn't suit him. From what I saw (bulk of the first 3q) he defended pretty well.
Graham got himself into a lot of good spots and dropped/fumbled/turned it over a lot. Zero confidence. Needs to run himself into form and plough through VFL before coming back up

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Graham is afraid of his own shadow and the ball for that matter...hence why he drops sitters.

Hopefully delist at the end of the year as well as Browne and bring in some young mobile ruckman.

McGuane is ok at defending just don't give him the ball but needs to be a depth player at the very best.

To me it looked like they wanted McGuane to go long and open things up at every opportunity. At AFL level he's safe enough, but doesn't try and do a whole heap. Didn't suit him. From what I saw (bulk of the first 3q) he defended pretty well.
Graham got himself into a lot of good spots and dropped/fumbled/turned it over a lot. Zero confidence. Needs to run himself into form and plough through VFL before coming back up

McGuane IMO did well defending and getting the pill, but as per usual let himself down in his disposal.

Gus should have killed them with his size and height advantage, not expecting much this year unfortunately

Angus is not a ruckman... don't think he has the tank to do it. I remember early days at Richmond him clunking marks and kicking accurately up forward.

Why don't we let Browne shoulder the ruck load at Coburg and play Gus up forward, and have him groomed and ready as a tall back up should Jack or Ty go down.

Angus is not a ruckman... don't think he has the tank to do it. I remember early days at Richmond him clunking marks and kicking accurately up forward.

Why don't we let Browne shoulder the ruck load at Coburg and play Gus up forward, and have him groomed and ready as a tall back up should Jack or Ty go down.

The one thing I can't knock of the big Gus is his set shots are usually very good. I actually like your idea here PB74. I still have hopes for Browne given he is still 21. He might make it, Gus, Derrickx and possibly one of Astbury/Griff could be our 3 talls in the Coburg forward line (play similar to the seniors so they can learn how to give each other space so they can integrate into the senior side better).

As an incentive, maybe let the best performing Coburg tall forward take the third tall spot of the player in the seniors when they aren't performing - competition should keep everyone on their toes and motivate the guys in the burgers to train and perform to force their way back in.

On a side note, would have loved to see Wheeler get rookied - kid looks like a real gem.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Ofcourse these 2 should never play again, but that was obvious long before this Coburg match.

It was evident 12 months ago they weren't good enough.

Graham won't get a game, they'll play Maric, Vickery, Derickx and Browne in the ruck before him.

McGuane they might give a game to, and if he does get a game (unless it's due to several injuries) our defence is in trouble.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators

had a game against Hawthorn weher he looked likely up forward. may have been the game we lost bya few points when Mitchell I think it was, or was it Sewell? who ran down Tuck? But he took a few impressive grabs down forward that day.
Not a ruckman for sure!

Graham is baffling. As I understand - and what I have witnessd - ultra- competitive and hard at it on the training track and in intra-club practice matches, but the fire in the belly disappears when matched against opposition players. As I say, baffling!

Croat tiger

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 24, 2004
The Dom
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
HŠK Zrinjski Mostar
Graham is afraid of his own shadow and the ball for that matter...hence why he drops sitters.

Hopefully delist at the end of the year as well as Browne and bring in some young mobile ruckman.

McGuane is ok at defending just don't give him the ball but needs to be a depth player at the very best.

I only watch the last 15 minutes of the game in the last quarter and I thought browne was ok and took some timely marks...he's only 21 still worth persisting as a back up ruckman.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
As an incentive, maybe let the best performing Coburg tall forward take the third tall spot of the player in the seniors when they aren't performing - competition should keep everyone on their toes and motivate the guys in the burgers to train and perform to force their way back in.

Err, am I missing something? Isn't this the idea with every position on the ground?

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Watched the Coburg game with my partner at home. She said "that big guy is terrible." I told her that was our previous no. 1 ruckman and she lost it lol.

But seriously, Coburg should have burried them that game when about half the team were AFL listed players. Just shows how shallow our depth is and raises the question, does our club struggle developing VFL level players into AFL level players, or just the fault of recruiting blokes who get stuck in the VFL/AFL in between limbo?

One could argue that it was a scrappy game and skills were dragged to VFL level, but that doesn't excuse Gus for having absolutely no skills at ground level and dropping what should be regulation marks. Browne, being 21, isn't exactly showing anything flash but it's pretty obvious he is capable of some significant improvement over the next 18-24 months. McGuane managed to win his contests, but what's the point if he keeps turning it over. Second quarter wasn't it when he was switching and kicked to a free, running Helbig... but missed him by about 10 meters and Helbig ended up getting crashed. The only positive I have on McGuane is I don't mind having him around as a last resort should Rance, Post or Grimes go down, rather than have him in the 22.

Just hope we have no injuries this year. Going by that game and who is looking to renew contracts this year, Dea, Webberly, White and Graham surely must be on very, very thin ice.

santa claws

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 19, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
west tigers. glenelg.
sheesh all i ever hear nowdays is theuir good depth players.
no they are not. your better players are well above average and your regulars. your depth players at least need to be able to perform to the minimum standard white mcguane graham struggle to do this and only do it rarely hence even as depth they are useless.

cmon people enough is enough we dont want to be mired in mediocrity for ever do we.

sheesh all i ever hear nowdays is theuir good depth players.
no they are not. your better players are well above average and your regulars. your depth players at least need to be able to perform to the minimum standard white mcguane graham struggle to do this and only do it rarely hence even as depth they are useless.

cmon people enough is enough we dont want to be mired in mediocrity for ever do we.

:thumbsu:Spot on. Only slightly different view. You used the word mediocrity & both these players have never reached that higher level. Rubbish players who add nothing to our list.

To play either of these 2, for any reason other than we are unable to field 22 players is to admit defeat. Their contibution in matches demoralises other players and supporters. If they play we'll all be saying 'here we go again!' same old, same old. Their cards should be marked .... Never to play for RFC again.:)

astro_toby

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
:thumbsu:Spot on. Only slightly different view. You used the word mediocrity & both these players have never reached that higher level. Rubbish players who add nothing to our list.

To play either of these 2, for any reason other than we are unable to field 22 players is to admit defeat. Their contibution in matches demoralises other players and supporters. If they play we'll all be saying 'here we go again!' same old, same old. Their cards should be marked .... Never to play for RFC again.:)

unless they play well of course

Somehow I think there will be a few long faces this year guys, and I expect McGuane to play at least 10 games. Now before anyone tries to flame me, just because I expect McGuane to play 10 games does not mean I want him to.

But if we are going to pin our hopes on Post playing every game I think we'll be disappointed.

Err, am I missing something? Isn't this the idea with every position on the ground?

lol. I meant in my original post that as the seniors will probably a 3 tall forward line, let Coburg also play with 3 talls so the same structures and set ups can be used so the coburg talls can step up and play their role in the seniors if their form warrants the call up.

Well Delib, hate to break it to you but one of them has to play or we are stuffed.

As much as I wish our defensive spine was Rance and Grimes, unless we get Moore back somehow, one of those guys is going to get a guernsey.

Personally I think McGuane is a better option. He may be a gumby but Post has no clue at all.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
McGuane is clearly better than Post right now - not great, and probably not a 'Premiership CHB', but the best we have. He's OK.

However, with McGuane we know what his ceiling is - not great, would definitely prefer someone better. we don't know how good Post will be (the signs over the first years of his career are not promising). But the coaching staff seem to think he has a chance of being better than McGuane in time - so that's why they are going with him.

If we want the best chance to to win NOW - play McGuane. And I would. Let Post prove in Coburg and at training that he's worthy of taking the spot - no gifting.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
McGuane is clearly better than Post right now - not great, and probably not a 'Premiership CHB', but the best we have. He's OK.

However, with McGuane we know what his ceiling is - not great, would definitely prefer someone better. we don't know how good Post will be (the signs over the first years of his career are not promising). But the coaching staff seem to think he has a chance of being better than McGuane in time - so that's why they are going with him.

If we want the best chance to to win NOW - play McGuane. And I would. Let Post prove in Coburg and at training that he's worthy of taking the spot - no gifting.

dare I say it, McGuane is a better player than Post right now and by some ways. And I'll cal it, Thursfield is a better option (albeit no longer available to us) than Post!

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
dare I say it, McGuane is a better player than Post right now and by some ways. And I'll cal it, Thursfield is a better option (albeit no longer available to us) than Post!

Yes, right now, but McGuane isn't going to get any better. If we keep playing Post and let him get to 50+ games, he should be a much better player than what McGuane is now. Problem is he won't get there if we don't play him.

Back