Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Just as Steve Taubert is the ruck whisperer, so too is Rob Wiley to mids. Angus clearly gives enormous credit to him. The other thing that comes out is he is a sponge for info. I reckon he will drive the coaches bonkers, but in the best of all possible ways.

The Logan Angus and The Chad training group will be be a fun but very competitive group.

Last edited:

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Just as Steve Taubert is the ruck whisperer, so too is Rob Wiley to miss. Angus clearly gives enormous credit to him. The other thing that comes out is he is a sponge for info. I reckon he will drive the coaches bonkers, but in the best of all possible ways.

The Logan Angus and The Chad training group will be be a fun but very competitive group.
Imagine if we add Corey. OMG!

What is link?

A few years ago, a few involved at the club (might've been Horse & Dalrymple?) mentioned how Buddy follows the U18s closely and gives his tips during the drafting process. I doubt his opinions would have much sway in a room full of blokes dedicated to it full-time, but I'm sure the recruiters would still be interested to know who the club's best player rates, particularly if it's in regards to who he'd want to play alongside.

What is link?

Just guessing. He is a complete footy need esp re the draft so I assumed he watched our lad play very well in the WA Colts GF and for for WA v SA.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
A few years ago, a few involved at the club (might've been Horse & Dalrymple?) mentioned how Buddy follows the U18s closely and gives his tips during the drafting process. I doubt his opinions would have much sway in a room full of blokes dedicated to it full-time, but I'm sure the recruiters would still be interested to know who the club's best player rates, particularly if it's in regards to who he'd want to play alongside.
I reckon he will move into the recruiting space post footy. Hope it is aligned with the Swans.

Had an interesting visit to the Eagles Board. Our lad is rated as a contested beast.

In general it could be said they are less than happy about their selection as well as missing on Erasmus and most likely Johnson.

Still can't believe he is 88kg. To put that into perspective, here's the BMIs* of all our AFL & VFL midfielders (I've included Sheather who I think will get some midfield time, and also Hewett just as a comparison.)

Sheldrick - 27.5
Taylor - 27.1
Kennedy - 26.9
Parker - 26
Warner - 25.3
Bell - 25.1
Mills - 24.6
Clarke - 24.6
Florent - 24.5
Sheather - 24.5
Gulden - 24.5
Hewett - 24.3
Heeney - 24.3
Rowbottom - 23.7
McInerney - 23.2
Campbell - 22.9
Stephens - 22.4

*Based on their official listed measurements. BMI is obviously not the only metric in judging size but it gives a good idea the kind of unit Sheldrick arrives on the list as.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Still can't believe he is 88kg. To put that into perspective, here's the BMIs* of all our AFL & VFL midfielders (I've included Sheather who I think will get some midfield time, and also Hewett just as a comparison.)

Sheldrick - 27.5
Taylor - 27.1
Kennedy - 26.9
Parker - 26
Warner - 25.3
Bell - 25.1
Mills - 24.6
Clarke - 24.6
Florent - 24.5
Sheather - 24.5
Gulden - 24.5
Hewett - 24.3
Heeney - 24.3
Rowbottom - 23.7
McInerney - 23.2
Campbell - 22.9
Stephens - 22.4

*Based on their official listed measurements. BMI is obviously not the only metric in judging size but it gives a good idea the kind of unit Sheldrick arrives on the list as.
He is a tank. Hits like one too. He may trim down after a Swans preseason but the tank is still there. I like it. Great stats 88

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Sheldrick - 27.5
Taylor - 27.1
Kennedy - 26.9
Parker - 26
Warner - 25.3
Bell - 25.1
Mills - 24.6
Clarke - 24.6
Florent - 24.5
Sheather - 24.5
Gulden - 24.5
Hewett - 24.3
Heeney - 24.3
Rowbottom - 23.7
McInerney - 23.2
Campbell - 22.9
Stephens - 22.4

BMI is a pretty terrible way to determine weight in athletes though as muscle weighs more than fat.

BMI is a pretty terrible way to determine weight in athletes though as muscle weighs more than fat.

It's an imperfect method, sure. But it is useful in getting a general sense of the muscle/fat/both a player is carrying relative to their size.

It is telling that our brute inside mids feature at the top of that list while our leaner, outside types bring up the rear. Equally telling is that perhaps the most peculiar body type in need of endless steaks - Blakey - fails to even make that list with a number of 21.8.

It doesn't tell the whole story, but it tells a part of it.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It's an imperfect method, sure. But it is useful in getting a general sense of the muscle/fat/both a player is carrying relative to their size.

It is telling that our brute inside mids feature at the top of that list while our leaner, outside types bring up the rear. Equally telling is that perhaps the most peculiar body type in need of endless steaks - Blakey - fails to even make that list with a number of 21.8.

It doesn't tell the whole story, but it tells a part of it.

Shows he is a very solid unit though. If that weight doesn't hurt his endurance too much it would be good for him to keep it as I bet he has very strong core strength that makes him difficult to tackle.

Shows he is a very solid unit though. If that weight doesn't hurt his endurance too much it would be good for him to keep it as I bet he has very strong core strength that makes him difficult to tackle.

Precisely my point. Life is harder if you're an inside mid with the build of a hollow tin-man.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
His size and weight will aid in breaking and making tackles as shows in his highlights video. At the other end his 2klm time trial time was 7'1". The upper talents are doing the distance in 6'. So he needs to build up his tank it seems and yet one of the attributes mentioned was his workrate so perhaps his bulk just means he can't achieve great long distance times yet still has a good tank.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Good pick up, probably a touch early but beggers can't be choosers... and a couple of my horror candidates were still on the board so I'm cool with this call. I honestly thought we go Johnson, what a slide for him

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Ironically, I think Sheldrick is a very safe pick. Rapid improvement at the end of the year and a very solid work ethic and ball-winning ability.

He feels like Robertson from a few years back, and I'm pretty confident that he'll be ahead of a lot of kids next year.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do :)

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

Sheldrick - 27.5
Taylor - 27.1
Kennedy - 26.9
Parker - 26
Warner - 25.3
Bell - 25.1
Mills - 24.6
Clarke - 24.6
Florent - 24.5
Sheather - 24.5
Gulden - 24.5
Hewett - 24.3
Heeney - 24.3
Rowbottom - 23.7
McInerney - 23.2
Campbell - 22.9
Stephens - 22.4

Why bother , hasn't played an AFL game !

WHAT ABOUT GIVE THE KID A CHANCE !

Watched him again in a WA v SA u19 Game.

You will laugh. Hair is a bit darker but he could have been one of the Goss lads, but the Port player he reminded me of most was Billy Swan. He is a hard nosed, competitive and natural footy player.

He even wore old fashioned black footy boots. No dyed blonde hair, no man bun, no weird 'scaping gets a tick.

Angus gives every appearance of being a very smart player.

A well balanced fitness/running program may see him drop a keg or two but I am not worried about that at all. Chiefly because after being in and and under and doing hard work for 4 quarters he was still able to scoot away in the last minute to kick the sealer for WA.

Back