Current Animal Abusers & Torturers - Woefully inadequate penalties

Remove this Banner Ad

Strong statement by South Australia Police. I notice they've said the wombat was 'seriously injured' and I think that's because there's some debate about whether he actually killed it. The full video, that I won't watch apparently shows it still alive when they stopped filming.

It could be noted also, that the video was supplied to the Wombat Awareness Group by a member of the Aboriginal community.

SApolice.png

Does that media release mean the RSPCA and the police have no authority to prosecute under the Animal Welfare Act?
If you mean that he's going to use the Native Title Act as a legal defense, he's going to have to prove that he was actually hunting. Considering many Aborignal elders have said he was not, he was just doing it to cause pain to the animal, then he really has no defense. The video alone is proof enough of that. And I am pretty sure, as far as traditions go, they have great reverence and respect for animals. They make sure the death is quick. This was deliberately drawn out, it's quite offending to Aboriginal customs actually.

WTF is wrong with people and what could they possibly get out of that, I don't get it and why we seem to be seeing more of this instead of less?

They shouldn't be hard to find I think, kangaroos can do a lot of damage to a car. I've written the front off when a roo jumped out I had no hope of avoiding it and I wasn't even driving that fast. I was crying looking for it and it was an accident.

WTF is wrong with people and what could they possibly get out of that, I don't get it and why we seem to be seeing more of this instead of less?

They shouldn't be hard to find I think, kangaroos can do a lot of damage to a car. I've written the front off when a roo jumped out I had no hope of avoiding it and I wasn't even driving that fast. I was crying looking for it and it was an accident.
May just have just been 'hunting'.

I've also hit a roo and captured it on dashcam inadvertently but didn't look at it. Unfortunately it was a joey, albeit an almost fully grown one that was hopping across the road behind its mother. The only good part was that I hit it full on at the front numberplate so it would have died instantly.

What's wrong with people.

This was well said.

“You get these try-hard, loser bogans like this fella we’ve seen today, that is seen as something they want to copy to get some notoriety out of it, some sort of tough-guy image,” he said. “There is nothing tough about it, you are the weakest of the weak, to hurt an animal that cannot defend itself and 99.9 per cent of the community would agree.”

What's wrong with people.

The Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment says a young man is helping Tasmania Police with an investigation into animal cruelty allegations.

A video circulating on social media yesterday showed a wombat on a blood-spattered car bull bar and a man shouting that he had "punched a wombat".

It was not clear from the video how the wombat had died.

A department spokesman said the matter was being jointly investigated with Tasmania Police.

They said the deliberate harming of wildlife was taken "very seriously", with maximum penalties including five years in jail and fines of up to $33,600.

The mistreatment of horses in the racing industry was pretty confronting viewing on TV last night. It's a sad reality though that all animals that have a close association with humans can end up this way, dogs and cats included. The racing industry has a lot to answer for when you factor in problems associated with gambling as well. It would be satisfying to make all the ignorant punters that will attend the upcoming spring racing events sit through the Four Corners program before they head off to the champagne stalls and silly hat fashion parades.

The mistreatment of horses in the racing industry was pretty confronting viewing on TV last night. It's a sad reality though that all animals that have a close association with humans can end up this way, dogs and cats included. The racing industry has a lot to answer for when you factor in problems associated with gambling as well. It would be satisfying to make all the ignorant punters that will attend the upcoming spring racing events sit through the Four Corners program before they head off to the champagne stalls and silly hat fashion parades.
Always been spun and denied by the PTB, particularly V'Landys, but we always knew most of these animals were never rehomed. In a meeting that's available to anyone with internet access, when he was in charge of harness racing up there, he said they had to get their act together because greyhound racing was about to be banned (how he knew this before it happened is another story - greyhound people didn't even know), which would allude to what was going on in that sport.

But there are two ways of looking at it. Most people don't blink when cattle are killed in the same way, for food. These horses aren't simply buried somewhere after being killed, they're used mostly for pet meat, while some is used for human consumption, although the HC meat doesn't come from these knackeries per se, so an argument could be put forward that it's no big deal as long as it's done humanely. The other argument is that these horses make a lot of money for their owners (which on the whole is far from the truth, very few are profitable) so they should be allowed to live a great life after racing.

I own greyhounds, although only retired ones these days, and have kept every one I've ever owned until old age or sickness overcame them, and wouldn't consider 'moving on' a dog to someone else. Horses are far more costly to keep though so what do you do? You can't keep them in a suburban backyard, which is where the vast majority of people live. It's also impossible to rehome anywhere near the majority. So what can you do?

The answer could be to simply ban horse racing but I'd argue that as long as the animals are used for food after racing and humanely euthanised then a ban might be a poor option, given so many people get enjoyment from it. The point that really matters (IMO) though is 'Do horses really enjoy racing?'. When they need to be whipped along the answer would be 'Probably not", and that would be the deal breaker.

And https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...rives-despite-nasty-image-20130222-2ewom.html

Always been spun and denied by the PTB, particularly V'Landys, but we always knew most of these animals were never rehomed. In a meeting that's available to anyone with internet access, when he was in charge of harness racing up there, he said they had to get their act together because greyhound racing was about to be banned (how he knew this before it happened is another story - greyhound people didn't even know), which would allude to what was going on in that sport.

But there are two ways of looking at it. Most people don't blink when cattle are killed in the same way, for food. These horses aren't simply buried somewhere after being killed, they're used mostly for pet meat, while some is used for human consumption, although the HC meat doesn't come from these knackeries per se, so an argument could be put forward that it's no big deal as long as it's done humanely. The other argument is that these horses make a lot of money for their owners (which on the whole is far from the truth, very few are profitable) so they should be allowed to live a great life after racing.

I own greyhounds, although only retired ones these days, and have kept every one I've ever owned until old age or sickness overcame them, and wouldn't consider 'moving on' a dog to someone else. Horses are far more costly to keep though so what do you do? You can't keep them in a suburban backyard, which is where the vast majority of people live. It's also impossible to rehome anywhere near the majority. So what can you do?

The answer could be to simply ban horse racing but I'd argue that as long as the animals are used for food after racing and humanely euthanised then a ban might be a poor option, given so many people get enjoyment from it. The point that really matters (IMO) though is 'Do horses really enjoy racing?'. When they need to be whipped along the answer would be 'Probably not", and that would be the deal breaker.

And https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...rives-despite-nasty-image-20130222-2ewom.html
There’s a lot of ignorance on these threads as well as lies being spread. The whips in Australia were replaced nearly 10 years ago and I’ve seen it demonstrated on humans how soft it is.

I've had a lot of horses, I sent my first to the abbattoir when he died suddenly. We didn't have the machinery to dig a hole big enough to bury him in. It was heartbreaking seeing him dragged up by chains but I understood that's where he had to go. And we've shot a couple when they've become old and terminally ill, we'd never send a live horse to the knackery to be abused and die by a strangers hand in a strange scary place.

I also have dogs and they eat red meat, mostly I feed them roo when I can get it but when I walk into the pet supplies I'm pretty sure that when they tell me I'm buying beef sometimes it's not, it's horse.

I don't like the racing industry but without it, I don't think there's much of a future at all for the horse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a lot of ignorance on these threads as well as lies being spread. The whips in Australia were replaced nearly 10 years ago and I’ve seen it demonstrated on humans how soft it is.

For all the cruelty in horse racing Lebbo, you chose the use of a whip and whether it hurts or not to suggest rampant ignorance and lies on these threads?

And?
Sprockets brought it up

It's a myth that the whip doesn't hurt which is probably why there are limits to how many strikes a jockey can make over the course.

Touch a horse with your finger when it's not expecting it and you'll see a reaction, they're very sensitive. The whip needs to be redesigned to a flatter cardboard or something like a rolled up newspaper. Overuse it, it disintegrates. Use once chuck it out.

They still need to be forced to race (with a whip, regardless of how 'soft' it is) by the jockey on their backs. If you think they're racing of their own accord we know who the ignorant one is.

It's a myth that the whip doesn't hurt which is probably why there are limits to how many strikes a jockey can make over the course.

Touch a horse with your finger when it's not expecting it and you'll see a reaction, they're very sensitive. The whip needs to be redesigned to a flatter cardboard or something like a rolled up newspaper. Overuse it, it disintegrates. Use once chuck it out.
I don't see any need for a whip at all. If a horse doesn't want to race it shouldn't be forced to.

There’s only a limit on the use of the whip to keep the eternal whingers happy. The horse can feel the whip but it doesn’t hurt. They changed the whip nearly ten years ago.

They still need to be forced to race (with a whip, regardless of how 'soft' it is) by the jockey on their backs. If you think they're racing of their own accord we know who the ignorant one is.

A healthy thoroughbred in it's prime should be champing at the bit to stretch and run, a confident horse aims to take the lead with or without the whip. It's not always used to beat but as a tool to pace them. A light tap should be all it takes for a jockey to give them the message he's letting go. Unfortunately there's a lot of dickheads in horse racing that can't be trusted.

There’s only a limit on the use of the whip to keep the eternal whingers happy. The horse can feel the whip but it doesn’t hurt. They changed the whip nearly ten years ago.

Not true. The severity of the hurt depends on where it's whipped and how many times. You know also, the current whips they use have a knot on it?

Do you ride Lebbo? Ever taken care of a horse?

Well done loser.

Some people are an utter disgrace. I hate violence but if I had witnessed this, I would've had a fair go at this flog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back