Animals - cute, funny and bizarre

Remove this Banner Ad

Any snail experts out there?

I was out walking with Mrs R and there were lots of snails appreciating the wet weather. I have never seen escargot like this and I’m old. Garden snail, juvenile garden snail or a different variety?

E05F8FA0-0BEB-44C8-A741-297049B92DAF.jpeg

Just putting this out on the air - great friend of mine is struggling as she recovers from her cancer treatment - she's desperate for a partner puppy but keeps running into shysters, scammers, prohibitive pricing, etc - if anyone has any ideas where she might source one, please let me know - I asked her for her wishlist and received this:

"Toy poodle cross with King Charles spaniel or a shiatsu or some other little lovely creature. Long legs and not white. Female. Lovely afternoon thank you. Xx"

And yes, it was a lovely afternoon! T60.

Just putting this out on the air - great friend of mine is struggling as she recovers from her cancer treatment - she's desperate for a partner puppy but keeps running into shysters, scammers, prohibitive pricing, etc - if anyone has any ideas where she might source one, please let me know - I asked her for her wishlist and received this:

"Toy poodle cross with King Charles spaniel or a shiatsu or some other little lovely creature. Long legs and not white. Female. Lovely afternoon thank you. Xx"

For those of us healthy enough to get out and around it’s difficult enough to go looking for a pet. For a person recovering from cancer treatment it’s impossible. She wants a lap dog which is OK but not as easy as a greyhound from GAP to source.

I’m looking at photos of cats at the moment from the Lost Dogs Home but you have to make an appointment to go in and look. I know they have an adoption program for dogs. Maybe they could bring a dog to her. Lort Smith has a program as well.

I hope it works out well as a pet is so good for your health and well-being.

Any luck?
Not the breed choice but this young'n looks like fun
Zoey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any joy yet?
rspca

Not so much. She is seeking a puppy of particular breed so RSPCA probably won't do it unfortunately. They are so expensive and the scammers are everywhere. She may have a lead but it's not even born till August/September! Thanks for caring.

My Dog is currently unwell. Last year he was diagnosed with Anemia and had to be put on a drip and then on went a long course of cortisone tablets. Yesterday, we took him to the groomer and what we discovered when we got his home was bloody scary. We thought that it was a rash from the clippers or he went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

I will put the next photos in a spoiler. This is his skin underneath his body that is full of bruises/internal bleeding.

None of that was there before his haircut. And around his groin area he had no hair, so it wasn’t as if his hair was hiding that bruising. That morning and the previous he would roll over on his back and the bruising was never there.

So we took him back to Pet Barn (his groomer), they have a vet in there. The vet took one look at him and said it wasn’t from the clippers and to take him to his usual vet which we did within an hour. As soon as the vet saw him she asked if we have rat sack at the house, which we don’t. She ran a blood test, which came back just before. He doesn’t have anemia and his blood counts are stable (big problems last year) but does have an illness that is within the same “family” as anemia. He has Immune-mediated Thrombocytopenia“, meaning his platelets are low. His treatment will be the same cortisone tablets and another medication (name escapes me at the moment) for the next however long it takes to stabilise. That is minus going back on the drip because it has been found quickly this time around. In a way we are fortunate in that yesterday’s groom just brought it to the surface and this appointment was scheduled for 3 weeks but they had a cancellation.

Sorry if my post is too heavy for this thread.

Last edited:
My Dog is currently unwell. Last year he was diagnosed with Anemia and had to be put on a drip and then on went a long course of cortisone tablets. Yesterday, we took him to the groomer and what we discovered when we got his home was bloody scary. We thought that it was a rash from the clippers or he went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

I will put the next photos in a spoiler. This is his skin underneath his body that is full of bruises/internal bleeding.

None of that was there before his haircut. And around his groin area he had no hair, so it wasn’t as if his hair was hiding that bruising. That morning and the previous he would roll over on his back and the bruising was never there.

So we took him back to Pet Barn (his groomer), they have a vet in there. The vet took one look at him and said it wasn’t from the clippers and to take him to his usual vet which we did within an hour. As soon as the vet saw him she asked if we have rat sack at the house, which we don’t. She ran a blood test, which came back just before. He doesn’t have anemia and his blood counts are stable (big problems last year) but does have an illness that is within the same “family” as anemia. He has Immune-mediated Thrombocytopenia“, meaning his platelets are low. His treatment will be the same cortisone tablets and another medication (name escapes me at the moment) for the next however long it takes to stables. That is minus going back on the drip because it has been found quickly this time around. In a way we are fortunate in that yesterday’s groom just brought it to the surface and this appointment was scheduled for 3 weeks but they had a cancellation.

Sorry if my post is too heavy for this thread.
Hope the treatments work quickly and effectively RPCB. Must have been scary before finding out what it was and it was treatable.

Hope the treatments work quickly and effectively RPCB. Must have been scary before finding out what it was and it was treatable.

Thank you, BlueGum! When he had the anemia last year, that took him a few months just for him to regain his strength to jump on the couch. Now he seems to be the same dog as he has always been (just a bit quiet and reserved) but it was found early.

I will say that it was a godsend that pet barn scheduled his appointment for yesterday rather than keeping it for 3 weeks from now. It has potentially saved his life because he could have started going downhill over time to a stage where it might have been too late.

Splendid result, rp.

Thanks mate. It’s better what what it could have been. He is pretty much back to his usual self yesterday and today. The condition will take time to alleviate but it is treatable on his medication.

The other medication that I couldn’t remember the name of is called Losec. He actually vomited it up this morning which was an issue last year with his anemia. We were told by the vet clinic to take him off that medication last year after only a few days as it wasn’t necessary like the cortisone. Pretty heavy duty stuff.

Just wanted to say that I hope these pictures didn’t horrify anyone. If anyone on here has a dog or cat at home who develops what my dog did, feel free to use the same information and my pictures with the vet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back