Anita Cobby Murder

Yeah those "men" got away with a lot- especially raping and sexually assaulting women. IIRC they were extremely violent and threatening people, so a lot of the cases never even got to court? The victims were too scared.

But this country is ****ing thick as, you could say the same about Adrian Bayley, just the same thing repeating itself many years later, we haven't learnt a damn thing. :rolleyes:

Well, people have the power as to who gets voted into Government. The sentencing act is legislation written by politicians and legal experts which goes through a fairly arduous regime of reform and reviews before being passed as an act of parliament.

If people want to see more uniform application of penalty and punishment for crimes, your local state member is your first point to voice your discern at the current system. Judges inadvertently make case law through judgement, but they can only apply the applicable sentence per the act associated to the recommended penalty units prescribed.

too many people sit on their asses and whinge when they fail to realise that its the voters and society in general who determine what is acceptable. The "one punch law" came into effect in NSW due to public pressure.

jasonwilde

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2007
Lurking and liking
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surprised that no one has mentioned the film 'The Boys' which is (very loosely) based on this case.

Anyway, we studied both the film and the case at uni. Apparently, this case somewhat altered the Australian psyche. Shifted the focus of rape from victims to perpetrator. How true this is and to what extend I don't know.

What I do know is that I watched the CI Australia on the Snowtown murders and it did my head in. Especially when they started eating the last few victims. I'd need to be in a pretty good head space to watch the one on this case.

Barry Zuckercorn

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Jul 13, 2006
Parkville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
#StandByHird
This was one of the very worst. Makes me feel ill reading about it to this day.

For mine, it is the worst. I know you have the Milat murderes and bodies in the barrels etc but something about the Cobby murder really freaks me out. It's like an unimaginable level of depravity.
Her parents, just from that one CIA episode, must have been 2 of the strongest people on earth.

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
For mine, it is the worst. I know you have the Milat murderes and bodies in the barrels etc but something about the Cobby murder really freaks me out. It's like an unimaginable level of depravity.
Her parents, just from that one CIA episode, must have been 2 of the strongest people on earth.
There is no way this is worse than the Bodies in the barrels case.

The Cobby murder ( CIA ) is playing on the Crime channel on Foxtel currently and it makes me sick that these callous monsters did what they did to a beautiful young woman.

Really hits at heart strings and i have a daughter myself and i would be an absolute mess if anything ever happened to her and the strength Anitas parents showed was remarkable in the circumstances that just happened to one of their own children.

Just very sad and i hope these dogs that committed this crime are having the worst time possible in Jail today and may they rot there like the grubs they are.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
These animals should have been made to endure what Anita did. I can guarentee the cowards would beg for mercy.

It also raises the question of capital punishment again with the way our society is going, we are becoming a mini-America, should capital punishment be re-introduced ?.

There's never been any doubt in my mind the worst thing we ever did was abolish capital punishment (Death Penalty Abolition Act 1973). We need our legal system to have this option available to them, not necessarily to enforce, but to act as a deterrent.

Sure, you would have psychos who will still commit such crimes, but nobody can convince me that some of these acts would never have been committed had the death penalty been an option. After all, many of these types are snivelling cowards.

Channel 7 is running a program on the case next Monday (weird, a whole week after the anniversary), at 9pm. Looks like an interview with the husband.

Seven News Special
9:00pm - 10:30pm
Anita Cobby: You Thought You Knew It
It was the crime that horrified a country but the real story has never been told. On the 30th anniversary of Anita Cobby's death, her forgotten husband- once the prime suspect- gives his first tv interview. And the chilling secret tapes which caught the killers are heard for the first time.

Last edited:
May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The Cobby murder ( CIA ) is playing on the Crime channel on Foxtel currently and it makes me sick that these callous monsters did what they did to a beautiful young woman.

Really hits at heart strings and i have a daughter myself and i would be an absolute mess if anything ever happened to her and the strength Anitas parents showed was remarkable in the circumstances that just happened to one of their own children.

Just very sad and i hope these dogs that committed this crime are having the worst time possible in Jail today and may they rot there like the grubs they are.

I first watched this on CI prob 2 years ago and it literally made me sick. I also had nightmares for a couple of nights and im not easily scared. It really shook me up.

The way her father in particular carried himself with such a quiet dignity was incredible. Needless to say I wont be watching again

Saw a further story about this where the convicted murderers are appealing for parole (Sic). These murderers should remain in jail for the rest of their lives.

Royal Flash

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I first watched this on CI prob 2 years ago and it literally made me sick. I also had nightmares for a couple of nights and im not easily scared. It really shook me up.

The way her father in particular carried himself with such a quiet dignity was incredible. Needless to say I wont be watching again
I remember the crime when it happened and the anger in the community was genuine. The perpetrators are scum and a perfect example of why capital punishment should never have been abolished. People say that they're suffering in jail but I don't buy that. They'd be in protective custody and safe from violence largely and can still partake in the simple pleasures of life ie a good meal, cup of coffee, a good sleep etc whereas Anita had everything taken from her in the most revolting, evil and protracted manner. They don't deserve to live. They serve no purpose. They are bastard filth.

The CI show was hard to watch. The bit that affected me most was at the very end when they showed home film of Anita when she was a toddler at the beach (I think). It made me cry, actually sob and I don't cry much at all. Just a heartbreaking story.

Back