Anita Cobby Murder

Are you the same sort of age as the Beaumont kids when they were abducted?

Arnna was the same age as me, 7, they lived a bit further down off Diagonal Rd. It was made an issue when we went back to school, although I went to Glenelg Primary & they went to Paringa Park.

My Mum wanted me to stop going to the beach.
No, i was born 10 years later but i certainly felt the ripple effect through my childhood.

My generation had the LOUISE BELL and RHIANNA BARREAU disappearances .

The book actually gives further description that wasn't really appropriate for TV. Absolute animals.

There is one part they didn't mention but you could pick up if you watched carefully. When one of the Murphy's in the 2nd lot caught is captured he actually wet his pants pretty sure it was Geoff that did the runner in the backyard. There is a photo of this in the book.

The coward was that petrified when caught he literally wet his pants, you could notice it when they took him out of the Police Car back at the station.

How ****en STUPID was the oldest MURPHY - Just busted out of prison at SILVERWATER........and decides to hang around BLACKTOWN :eek:

Now if you know your SYDNEY geography , you'll know the 2 suburbs aren't all that far apart !!!

Smell The Glove

Cancelled
Jun 26, 2006
Patching up coaches box facilities
AFL Club
Carlton
As most people know, gaol has it's own hierarchical system and you can imagine that these horrid creatures were not popular amongst the prison population. Even before their sentencing, all of the men had been beaten by other prisoners. Rumours say that Les Murphy was held down as a hose was inserted into his anus, a piece of barbed wire was then inserted inside the hose. The hose was taken out, then the barbed wire was taken out, wounding Les permanently. When Les requested to stand during the sentencing, he was denied the request. Many in the court had a laugh at the objection.

http://www.thecrimeweb.com/murder_of_anita_cobby.htm

I find this amusing though. Hope it happened to all of them, and continues to happen to them- sick, vile excuses for oxygen thieves, all of them.

Oct 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat
a few years ago, i woulda felt hesitant to watch this, but now its just interesting...

watched it last night but missed the last 10-15 mins... i just read they got life sentences... good *ing riddance... dont need ppl like that on the streets... i hope theyre being forced to drop the soap every *ing day... C*NTS

Adam BK

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Being born in 87 didn't really know much of this but after watching the program, just disgusting how anyone could do such a thing. That guy who drove around the suburb at night must have been pretty brave, they could have had guns for all he knew.

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners and Seahawks
it was on at 9:30pm for a reason - apparently it was quite disturbing. A lot of my friends at work saw a few minutes and had trouble sleeping, it effected them that much

sarbbo

All Australian
Aug 27, 2005
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
it was on at 9:30pm for a reason - apparently it was quite disturbing. A lot of my friends at work saw a few minutes and had trouble sleeping, it effected them that much

Yeah my wife couldn't watch it. She saw the first 15 minutes then said thats it for me I can't take any more of it. Can't imagine Anita's parents having to listen to details of what they did to her in court, would be torture. Don't think I want to read the book and find out what else they did to her, what they talked about on tv last night was bad enough, whatever they couldn't talk about I don't want to even know about.

hirdy_is_champ

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2003
tunnel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
And people say we don't need the death penalty?
Also how freaky was what Cobby's friend said about the dream she had the night she was killed?
She said she had a dream that she said to her "I'm not coming into work tomorrow, I'm dying." and she couldn't actually see her and could only hear her voice. She then woke up in a cold sweat absaloutley terrified.

Even the father that night when he was waiting for her to come home saw a weird orangy/yellow cloud go over the moon like something evil had happened. It freaks me out to type it

Also one of em (I think Travers) actually f...ed a sheep and he was the one who basically chopped her head off. Distrubed people

sarbbo

All Australian
Aug 27, 2005
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
And people say we don't need the death penalty?
Also how freaky was what Cobby's friend said about the dream she had the night she was killed?
She said she had a dream that she said to her "I'm not coming into work tomorrow, I'm dying." and she couldn't actually see her and could only hear her voice. She then woke up in a cold sweat absaloutley terrified.

Even the father that night when he was waiting for her to come home saw a weird orangy/yellow cloud go over the moon like something evil had happened. It freaks me out to type it

Also one of em (I think Travers) actually f...ed a sheep and he was the one who basically chopped her head off. Distrubed people

Yeah it was his regular party trick, he'd bring a live sheep to a party, have sex with it then slit its throat and cook it. Got to wonder what other sick bastards were at these parties that though that was a good trick.

Conan Troutman

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
The book actually gives further description that wasn't really appropriate for TV. Absolute animals.

There's a fair bit of info at the Crime Library too...
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/young/cobby/1.html

Until reading that, I hadn't heard about her murder either (or can't remember - I would've been about 9 or 10). Knowing what happened to her, I found the show last night pretty hard to watch - still watched it though, but geez, certainly one of the most disturbing cases I've read/seen about.

Bee

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 6, 2000
In your bonnet!
AFL Club
Carlton
The Cobby case has haunted me since it happened. If you want to know a lot more about the case get the book "Someone else's daughter".
Be warned though the book has lot more detail than the television show from the other night.
The name of the book comes from a quote from her father who said, "I was wishing the body in the morgue was not Anita, but then I thought it would be someone else's daughter and someone else would have to suffer through this and that wouldn't be fair". Her parents are the epitome of dignity.

These low life scum are supposed to be locked up for life. But I have heard that there may be a legal loophole. Apparently although the judge recommended that the files me marked 'never to be released', only the file of John Travers who pleaded guilty was actually marked. If this is the case then the others have an avenue to apply for parole!

Smell The Glove

Cancelled
Jun 26, 2006
Patching up coaches box facilities
AFL Club
Carlton
These low life scum are supposed to be locked up for life. But I have heard that there may be a legal loophole. Apparently although the judge recommended that the files me marked 'never to be released', only the file of John Travers who pleaded guilty was actually marked. If this is the case then the others have an avenue to apply for parole!
I highly doubt that if Murdoch or the Murphys were ever to be released, they would last long. They would be hunted down like animals- their lives aren't worth s**t now either way. I doubt the police or the public would have much sympathy if such a thing happened- good chance they would effectively get away with it.

didaka

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran RIP Collingwood Magpies - Alan Didak 2010 Player Sponsor
Jan 2, 2007
McCrae
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
London Silly Nannies
I highly doubt that if Murdoch or the Murphys were ever to be released, they would last long. They would be hunted down like animals- their lives aren't worth s**t now either way. I doubt the police or the public would have much sympathy if such a thing happened- good chance they would effectively get away with it.

Sign me up. If they're ever released i'd like to be involved.

Gabbie

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2004
MAGNETIC ISLAND-NTH QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
I take it they are still locked up.

About the same time we were enduring the yorkshire ripper in england

Haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but, the judge had "never to be released" marked on their files.

I used to work with a journo who with another wrote a book on these sort of crimes in australia - chilling stuff - i had a chat to him one day about the Cobby murder and the things he told me made me go all cold and goose bumpy, hairs on my neck literally stood up.

Though her body was never found, SAPOL actually arrested someone for her murder back in 1984.

Don't think the charge stuck, though...
She lived in HACKHAM - I was in CHRISTIE DOWNS / MORPHETT VALE at the time.

That was the end of sleeping with the windows open in summer !!!

crownie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
my dad lasted 10 minutes before he had enough.

i continued to watch out of curiousity because i was unfamiliar with the story.

Back