Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Hi All,
I'm hoping a few people in here will be able to provide some good advice.

I have a Son who is 13 and plays both Basketball and football. He has had one or two minor ankle sprains/jarring injuries and I am looking towards preventative measures. He is a 'big' at around 6 foot 1 and around 75kg, so plays ruck and as a centre in basketball (although also plays point guard so mobility is important). He's reaching the age where they get off the ground in a substantial way and the risk of landing on other feet etc... is increased.
He has 3 basketball trainings a week, one football training, one basketball game and one football game.

So, in terms of preventative work;
  • Take preventative measures or wait until/if injury occurs?
  • Strap ankles or ankle braces? Have strapped recently, but is time consuming and costly with that many activities.
  • Recommended braces?
  • Best places to purchase?

Would certainly appreciate all thoughts - especially from anyone qualified :)

Cheers!

Hi All,
I'm hoping a few people in here will be able to provide some good advice.

I have a Son who is 13 and plays both Basketball and football. He has had one or two minor ankle sprains/jarring injuries and I am looking towards preventative measures. He is a 'big' at around 6 foot 1 and around 75kg, so plays ruck and as a centre in basketball (although also plays point guard so mobility is important). He's reaching the age where they get off the ground in a substantial way and the risk of landing on other feet etc... is increased.
He has 3 basketball trainings a week, one football training, one basketball game and one football game.

So, in terms of preventative work;
  • Take preventative measures or wait until/if injury occurs?
  • Strap ankles or ankle braces? Have strapped recently, but is time consuming and costly with that many activities.
  • Recommended braces?
  • Best places to purchase?

Would certainly appreciate all thoughts - especially from anyone qualified :)

Cheers!

Braces are too restrictive, and are designed to immobilise the ankle post-injury.
You’ll just have to resign to forking out for rigid tape (38mm is recommended thickness for ankles). Once you get good at taping it’ll be maybe 5 minutes for both ankles, and imo you should try to limit it to games only.
As for preventative measures, pick one of these to do at least before every training session;
FIFA 11+ http://www.yrsa.ca/pdf/Fifa11/11plus_workbook_e.pdf
Netball KNEE https://knee.netball.com.au/
AFL footy first http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=906

Maybe also look at strengthening exercises and running in sand if its an option.
I used to have slightly dodgy ankles that I rolled a few times which I corrected by running on the beach and doing balance exercises. I also graduated to much lighter and softer styled running shoes that forced my feet and ankles to work a bit harder and build strength. It has been over 5 years without an ankle problem and I run over 40kms a week in 150gram shoes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back