Strategy Annual club focus group no.2

Remove this Banner Ad

The one improvement we can make on this forum if is held again in the future is to try to get a more diverse group. Females were conspicuously not represented. The age range was pretty narrow too. It might just be an accurate representation of the BF demographics. If that is the case, I hope the club is having this type of meetings with other audiences too.
Sounds like it needed more Glenelg and Crows supporters to bring a diverse perspective.

The contract wasn’t specifically discussed but the performance of the coaching group was discussed in detail.

What I took from it was the improvement we saw this year was based on getting the right people around Hinkley over the past two years and his changed approach to the expectations of the club and its supporters.

I don’t think the Hinkley situation is as bad as some make out. We’re in a good spot and his influence is curbed somewhat by the strong opinions around him. He’s going to be here a while and I think there are more pressing issues facing the club at this point in time.
Magic. Just what I wanted to hear.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Of course! No much progress due to covid and a realignment of focus by the AFL (i.e. not a lot of time to deal with this at the moment). But it is still happening. The club and supporters are aligned on this topic, it's just about the approach to negotiations with the AFL and the best way to achieve the desired outcome.
This the concern. For the AFL it shouldn't require a lot of time to deal with. "Yes, Port can play in the Prison Bars every Showdown". Unless they are going to go 'Here's a compromise Port, you can wear it in your home Showdowns only, but every year!', then Gil should be able to tick it off as done in less than a literal minute. An easy marketing leg up to one of the 18 clubs, in a time the AFL is desperately trying to stay afloat.

If there was anything other than a plan to push back against our pitch there's zero reason to have delayed it, given how long it takes as noted above and good reasons to fast track it, so we can get more merchandise out and the AFL needing to support us less.

The one improvement we can make on this forum if is held again in the future is to try to get a more diverse group. Females were conspicuously not represented. The age range was pretty narrow too. It might just be an accurate representation of the BF demographics. If that is the case, I hope the club is having this type of meetings with other audiences too.
Was at least 3 female suporters last time so may just be timing/ availabilty. Not going near age demographics as I always get myself in trouble.

On SM-T830 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was at least 3 female suporters last time so may just be timing/ availabilty. Not going near age demographics as I always get myself in trouble.

On SM-T830 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would've happily gone along this year but wasn't sure given last year's attendance. Wouldn't have helped the age demographic though 😉

We missed out on discussing AFLW.

Port need to get onto that boat as soon as possible.
I bailed Richo up after the meeting to ask this very question as we didnt talk about it in the meeting

He said its very much on our agenda but as with alot of things was put on the backburner due to covid but we will be pushing to get a team in the AFLW
No timeframe given though

I bailed Richo up after the meeting to ask this very question as we didnt talk about it in the meeting

He said its very much on our agenda but as with alot of things was put on the backburner due to covid but we will be pushing to get a team in the AFLW
No timeframe given though

Even if it's not happening for ages we should be making lots of noise about it. The funding gravy train needs to be boarded ASAP.

This the concern. For the AFL it shouldn't require a lot of time to deal with. "Yes, Port can play in the Prison Bars every Showdown". Unless they are going to go 'Here's a compromise Port, you can wear it in your home Showdowns only, but every year!', then Gil should be able to tick it off as done in less than a literal minute. An easy marketing leg up to one of the 18 clubs, in a time the AFL is desperately trying to stay afloat.

If there was anything other than a plan to push back against our pitch there's zero reason to have delayed it, given how long it takes as noted above and good reasons to fast track it, so we can get more merchandise out and the AFL needing to support us less.
* that. It should be pushed as our home guernsey for all home games, minus vs Collingwood, not just showdowns. If this isn't being pursued and pushed by the club then it's soft as butter. Now that's as easy marketing leg up.

fu** that. It should be pushed as our home guernsey for all home games, minus vs Collingwood, not just showdowns. If this isn't being pursued and pushed by the club then it's soft as butter. Now that's as easy marketing leg up.
That would fail. I get 2 games initially as a good wedge in the door. It's 'see AFL at large *cough* Collingwood *cough*. Everyone didn't confuse which club was which' and push for more in 2 - 3 years. 1 game a year only keeps it as a novelty. The difference between 1 and 2 games a year is massive in the long game and all sides realise that. The club must stick to its guns on 2 games a year, not accept some half arsed compromise of 1 game to appease Collingwood and try to have it spun as a win-win.

That would fail. I get 2 games initially as a good wedge in the door. It's 'see AFL at large *cough* Collingwood *cough*. Everyone didn't confuse which club was which' and push for more in 2 - 3 years. 1 game a year only keeps it as a novelty. The difference between 1 and 2 games a year is massive in the long game and all sides realise that. The club must stick to its guns on 2 games a year, not accept some half arsed compromise of 1 game to appease Collingwood and try to have it spun as a win-win.
Always aim higher than you think you will get.

Always aim higher than you think you will get.
Unfortunately the AFL don't have the guts to tell McGuire to piss off so we have to start at a lower level and fight this. A few people have to die - or have no power and then after a decade of wearing it, it becomes a lot easier to get wear it more often than 1 or 2 showdowns a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu** that. It should be pushed as our home guernsey for all home games, minus vs Collingwood, not just showdowns. If this isn't being pursued and pushed by the club then it's soft as butter. Now that's as easy marketing leg up.

Gotta play the long game with this. If you go for the home run you're going to strike out on this topic.

At this point it really is about marginal gains. Get the jumper worn on a yearly basis. Given we have been wearing it ad hoc every half a dozen years or so, that is a huge step.

The final goal should no doubt be to wear it in every home game even against Collingwood. That might not happen for the next 20+ years, but you're not going to get from where we are currently, to where we want to go, without going through the process the club is currently undertaking.

When every bloke in the outer is wearing the prison bar, it'll be undeniable.
This is pretty much it.

It will get to a point where it actually doesn't matter whether we wear it on field or not in terms of impact on Collingwood.

If every fan is wearing it then the damage is done and there is no point denying it any more.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

a
Unfortunately the AFL don't have the guts to tell McGuire to piss off so we have to start at a lower level and fight this. A few people have to die - or have no power and then after a decade of wearing it, it becomes a lot easier to get wear it more often than 1 or 2 showdowns a year.

The club is playing the heritage agreement card from the John James era, so ANZAC somewhat fits into this. As a tact, I would like the club to seek local RSL support to place in a submission to wear the PB in ANZAC round. It may be awkward for AFL/Eddie to deny that submission. If for whatever reason we are granted only one showdown then I would want the club to submit for ANZAC round in place of the second showdown to achieve the two games per year that it wishes.

When every bloke in the outer is wearing the prison bar, it'll be undeniable.

To reach nearer to this the club needs to ... 1) elevate the status of the PB within the club so that it continues to stir a desire of a supporter to purchase the PB, and 2) always have enough bloody PB stock available for purchase.

Assuming we win wearing it a couple of games per year, I wouldn't want the PB to just feature on those occasions within the walls of the club. What stops the club from having the entire list pictured in the PB on the player profile page of the website? Or having a PB presented to the new players of the club rather than the v?

If for whatever reason we are granted only one showdown then I would want the club to submit for ANZAC round in place of the second showdown to achieve the two games per year that it wishes.
Collingwood helped Sheedy invent ANZAC Day when he had his hands full inventing indigenous people. No chance.

Collingwood helped Sheedy invent ANZAC Day when he had his hands full inventing indigenous people. No chance.

Once there was only one medal issued to a player from either Essendon or Collingwood and now several medals are issued to players across ANZAC round. As it stands we are trying to reason past the 'no chance' that we have of wearing it for any game. There's equal or more hope of convincing them to wear it in this round than it is wearing it in any other round other than a showdown game.

The problem with playing the long game on the PB's is the most passionate of us with regard to the topic won't outlive it.

The kids need to be taught the significance.
This needs to start with a free maggies game broadcast as a part of every Port AFL membership.
Forget the pens and stickers, I want my kids to see me watching the maggies either at the game or online (with the players in their prison bars) each week.

Generational preservation by subconscious imitation, you know, the reason why so many of us followed Port in the first place.

We should have all had BigFooty avatar badges. I was the fat bloke with the glasses and baseball cap next to chiwigi .
Why on Earth did you all use your actual names?!

“Hi, I’m bomberclifford.”
“Hey! Nice to finally meet you. I’m El Zorro!”

That would have made much more sense...

The problem with playing the long game on the PB's is the most passionate of us with regard to the topic won't outlive it.

The kids need to be taught the significance.
This needs to start with a free maggies game broadcast as a part of every Port AFL membership.
Forget the pens and stickers, I want my kids to see me watching the maggies either at the game or online (with the players in their prison bars) each week.

Generational preservation by subconscious imitation, you know, the reason why so many of us followed Port in the first place.
That's why the club has to keep pushing this and the passionate supporters keep pushing the club and educating their kids and other young supporters. Plenty of kids ie U/18 went to go watch Port games this year wearing the PB's and not the BIB jumper.

The Magpies play an important role despite the BS we have to put up with from the SANFL. Games broadcast on line is a great idea.

Why on Earth did you all use your actual names?!

“Hi, I’m bomberclifford.”
“Hey! Nice to finally meet you. I’m El Zorro!”

That would have made much more sense...
Probably because Richo and CD would have been shocked to see how fat Bomber Clifford has got since his playing days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back