Strategy Annual club focus group no.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Majority of cases I agree, but you always find some good examples where they have both.

Intel
Mission: Utilize the power of Moore’s Law to bring smart, connected devices to every person on earth.
Vision: If it is smart and connected, it is best with Intel.

Ebay
Mission: To be the world’s favorite destination for discovering great value and unique selection.
Vision: Our vision for commerce is one that is enabled by people, powered by technology, and open to everyone.

But many companies have a straight forward mission statement and leave it at that.

Adidas - To be the best sports company in the world.

Microsoft - Our mission is to empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.

Shopify - Making commerce better for everyone.

Others a bit more of a mouthful but you know what they are getting at.

NASA - It is NASA’s mission to: explore, use, and enable the development of space for human enterprise; advance scientific knowledge and understanding of the Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe and use the environment of space for research; and research, develop, verify, and transfer advanced aeronautics, space, and related technologies.
I love how bold and blunt Adidas' one mission statement is. "We exist to win premierships" is in the same vein as that. You can save all the making the community proud stuff for the next page.

The Creed and the Motto are two separate documents of our constitution (in the broader sense of the term).
The way I understand this, Port has a Gospel with four parts:
(a) "Creed" ["We, the Players and Management of the Port Adelaide Football Club..."];​
(b) "Statement" ["Any club worth its salt..."];​
(c) "Motto" ["We exist to win premierships and make our community proud"]; and​
(d) "Slogan" ["We are Port Adelaide"].​

The Gospel provides the grounds for our identity as a football community and serves as guideline for everybody who belongs to it: directors; staff; coaches; players; members; and supporters.

The Motto was changed. Still, even with the change, it must be read in accordance with the rest of the Gospel. Otherwise, it is senseless.
P.S.: I have put the documents in order of relevance. But the order of presentation should be the reverse. “We Are Port Adelaide” encapsulates everything, but, to get a deeper grasp of its meaning, one should look into the motto, than the statement, and finally the creed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back