Analysis Annus Horribilis

Remove this Banner Ad

Wingard had a better year than Robbie Gray did in 2013.

I'm expecting him to go to another level next year.
Gray came back from his ACL in 2013, so it wasn't that hard for Chad to have a better year this year. And Robbie didn't spend a lot of 2013 in the middle so I don't see the point of the comparison.

Am I becoming numb to our shitness? I was literally no ****s given after we lost the WC final and was that times two with the result yesterday.

If we weren't so predictable then i'd probably be more engaged

Nar my depression towards fotball went to a new level as bad as the year was i never predicted we could put the thick icing on the cake as we did.

Im broken never thinking that my club could sink this low showing me none of the grit , fight or spirit that this club has stood for all my life.

I am really questioning the emotional investment me and.my kids put into this club.

It cant be healthy .

Going through the comments, looks like we all need a hard earned break from the footy..

If the penny has in fact dropped for Dixon, we could have the most dominant forward in the competition playing for us in 2018.

Another positive is Jake Neade, just when we all thought he was gone he came into the side, finished off the season well and was a solid contributor.

Gray came back from his ACL in 2013, so it wasn't that hard for Chad to have a better year this year. And Robbie didn't spend a lot of 2013 in the middle so I don't see the point of the comparison.

Alright then:

37f5b03957f0872e3b43b5878ff411ae.png

This was Gray's best season as a midfielder when he won the AFLCA Player of the Year vs Wingard's 2017 season.

Chad has work to do, but anyone saying 'he's not a midfielder' or that he shouldn't be persisted with as one is legitimately clueless. That's the point of the comparison.

This thread is a massive overreaction.

14-8, 5th place for the Power. We weren't outstanding and aren't short of problems and issues but it was a good season all up and certainly an improvement on the previous two seasons.

Grand final appearance for the Magpies.

Both seasons came to a very sticky end but there was a lot to like.

Dixon and Ryder were finally able to justify their big contracts. SPP was the best first year player in the league. Houston was a revelation. Wines took another step. Wingard put his toe in the water of becoming a full time midfielder and did well enough to suggest he could be even better in that role in the years to come. The likes of Howard, Bonner and Marshall offered glimpses and ended up getting a taste of finals footy.

And let's not forget the major success that was China.

I can't help but feel this thread is mostly a response to the Crows potentially winning the flag on Saturday. It doesn't make sense otherwise.
Crows have nothing to do with my opinion as I've held it for 2 years now. I do not enjoy watching Port play. Its very frustrating and rarely entertaining. And I hate listening to Ken talk footy. Its always platitudes but he works the media well. Hes a survivor.

I think you'd feel a lot better if you stop referencing 2014 as being the beginning of a premiership window and instead see it as the end of a premiership window. Granted, there are a million reasons why that shouldn't have been the case, mostly self inflicted, but that's the reality. ...
How is that the reality?

Since 2014 we have discarded a number of players who weren't really up to it, traded in Ryder and Dixon and had a number of promising young players debut and show they have got what it takes. In that same period we have not lost a single player we would rather have kept on our list.

Alright then:

37f5b03957f0872e3b43b5878ff411ae.png

This was Gray's best season as a midfielder when he won the AFLCA Player of the Year vs Wingard's 2017 season.

Chad has work to do, but anyone saying 'he's not a midfielder' or that he shouldn't be persisted with as one is legitimately clueless. That's the point of the comparison.
Agree with you 100% just couldn't work out why you compared Chad to Robbie's 2013 given Robbie's circumstances. Biggest glaring difference between Chad's 2017 v Robbie's 2014 numbers is clearances and therefore contested possessions, but that will come.

Chad was drafted as a midfielder, that's where he played and dominated as a junior. His head knocks and concussion was why we kept him out of the middle in his early years. I called him Chingard for a short period of time because he needed one after getting a couple of knocks. Chad is a more outside than inside mid but that's OK we have enough grunt inside mids who don't have the high end skills Chad has. As Robbie approaches 30 and Chad gets to his peak years as a 25 year old it is right they swap around where they spend the majority of the game.

How is that the reality?

Since 2014 we have discarded a number of players who weren't really up to it, traded in Ryder and Dixon and had a number of promising young players debut and show they have got what it takes. In that same period we have not lost a single player we would rather have kept on our list.

We've changed the team so much since then that it's not a worthwhile reference point.

We lost our first choice full back (Carlile), first choice full forward (Schulz) and biggest ball accumulator (K.Cornes), all to retirement. We lost a two goal a game small forward (Monfries) to suspension/injury/form. We have phased out Trengove and Broadbent for younger models. We have phased out Lobbe for a better model. We have moved an All Australian small forward into the midfield.

What's the biggest issue in our team? The forward line. Who were our three best forwards in 2014? Schulz, Wingard, Monfries. How many of them play forward for us these days? None.

It's not apples and apples. The 2014 team failed in 2015 and then was reshaped completely across 2016 and 2017. We've taken a step back, hopefully we're about to take two forward.

We've changed the team so much since then that it's not a worthwhile reference point.

We lost our first choice full back (Carlile), first choice full forward (Schulz) and biggest ball accumulator (K.Cornes), all to retirement. We lost a two goal a game small forward (Monfries) to suspension/injury/form. We have phased out Trengove and Broadbent for younger models. We have phased out Lobbe for a better model. We have moved an All Australian small forward into the midfield.

What's the biggest issue in our team? The forward line. Who were our three best forwards in 2014? Schulz, Wingard, Monfries. How many of them play forward for us these days? None.

It's not apples and apples. The 2014 team failed in 2015 and then was reshaped completely across 2016 and 2017. We've taken a step back, hopefully we're about to take two forward.
i really hope you're right re our future success. I'm not sure Ken thinks Broadbent is done yet.

I don't agree with the popular opinion that our biggest issue is the forward line.

For mine it is the transition from the back 50 to the forward 50. Our strategy sucks, and that is if we have one.

As someone else has posted, our defence has not done that well against the top teams. On top of that, it also came on the back of having our midfielders playing deep and our forwards having to go all the way back to just ourside our defensive fifty leaving no one up front.
No overlap running by our defenders etc.
Footy's version of catenaccio. Everyone back and get them on fast counter attacks. Didn't work and looks crap.

Sure, if we kicked straighter we would have won a few more games but every year most teams can say that.

For mine we still don't look like a team that has a plan that holds up against all opponents no matter what game they bring. That is not a player related thing.

I thought that Port Adelaide was a tough suburban type scrapper footy club, as opposed to the Millionaire players that we seem to have over the last couple of years. No heart for club just dollar signs in their eyes. How can a team composed of mostly professional players lose a grand final to a bunch of nuff nuffs from the local SANFL abortion? Jump on Koch's bandwagon and get rid of everyone who won't go back to basic pay to win a grand final for the Mighty Power at either SANFL stupid rules league level, or at AFL level, where real Australian footy happens. Adelaide is a really nice place, there are just TOO MANY SOUTH AUSTRALIAN LIVING THERE.

The first thing I want to see once we get our s**t together and start playing proper footy is B0ydy to change his name to B0ydredemption. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last two games I've noticed that Richmond have dominated the "sprint efforts" stat when they bring it up, but don't feature much in the "total distance covered" stats. Is this a structure thing, do they not run back as much as we do? There could be something in being not just being fit, but knowing when you can conserve energy and when to go.

The last two games I've noticed that Richmond have dominated the "sprint efforts" stat when they bring it up, but don't feature much in the "total distance covered" stats. Is this a structure thing, do they not run back as much as we do? There could be something in being not just being fit, but knowing when you can conserve energy and when to go.
Its speedendurance vs speed and endurance training. The Tigers play a high impact, manic pressure game style in their forward line and mid field.

That means they create lots of pressure acts and balls being fumbled by their opposition causing stoppages, spillages and turnovers. They don't have to waste as much energy running back. They might not have it as well, especially after repeated efforts after locking the ball forward of centre.

Also I double checked their fitness staff and Peter Burge is still their head fitness guy. I knew he had the gig 3 or 4 years ago but wasnt sure if he was still in charge.

Burge was a top international longer jumper. He regularly made top 10 for most tournaments and annual top 10 lists for longest jumps for most of the 1990's and early naughties. He made the Olympic final in Sydney, at one stage was only a couple of cms off a bronze but finished 6th and Jumping Jai the centimetre guy got silver for Oz, made a couple of world champs finals and he won the Comm Games gold in 1998. He was about an 8.30m jumper. he and Jai Taurima pushed each other for a decade.

Long jumpers are decent 100m runners and need to be good sprinters over 60m to get maximum acceleration to leap. That's what footballers have to do, be good sprinters over 20-50m. So he probably is the right sort of fitness head to build up that speedendurance for footballers, not worry about being middle distance runners. And sprinters and long jumpers are solid build not skinny middle distance type frames.

Surely you are not old enough to remember that song PG?
I reckon I was in grade 7 when that was on the charts, and that was a very long time ago. ;)
No but it was told to me. You know those things that get passed down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back