The Law Another Aboriginal Death in Custody

Remove this Banner Ad

The statistics are clear that indigenous Australians are disproportionately represented in our prisons, and there is unquestionably long-standing issues between many indigenous communities and police forces across the country. The media have, unsurprisingly, used this to tie into the events in the US. Though, in my opinion, I see it as largely a good thing to have honest, open conversations and debate about where our own nation’s race relations are at in an effort to bringing our indigenous and non-indigenous communities together for the shared goal of peace and prosperity for everyone, just as long as it’s not co-opted by groups to further their agenda and increase already existing divisions.

Five times worse, than late stage apartheid.

In regards to blacks in jail

can someone explain the difference between 'disproportionately represented in our prisons' and ' commit more crimes and thus end up in jail' ? shouldnt it be why do aboriginals disproportionately commit more crimes?

It's also possible that some groups commit more crimes but are under-represented in jail numbers because their s**t behaviour is excused for cultural reasons.

can someone explain the difference between 'disproportionately represented in our prisons' and ' commit more crimes and thus end up in jail' ? shouldnt it be why do aboriginals disproportionately commit more crimes?
Maybe, just maybe, Indigenous Australians are far more likely to be thrown in jail for crimes which non-Indgenous Australians are often let off with a warning, fine, community service, weekend detention, suspended sentence etc.

What a disgrace trying to take advantage of whats happening in America, we all know how this little s**t is going to end up unfortunately some innocent person is going to be on the end if it.

Maybe if it was an adult, your post may have some validity, but it was a 16 year old kid FFS who was weaponless, no excuse for that kind of excessive force by that police officer.

In the US a black man will hold up a couple of 7-Elevens for like $200 and get 20 hard years, but a white guy in a suit will rob millions with a ponzi scheme and will get 2 years in a minimum security prison farm.

Bernie Madoff got 150 years. The US is very hard on white collar crime. Jeff Skilling another example.

Maybe if it was an adult, your post may have some validity, but it was a 16 year old kid FFS who was weaponless, no excuse for that kind of excessive force by that police officer.
Did the cop know it was a 16 year old?

Did the cop know it was a 16 year old?

And should the cop stop and check what race the guy is before acting? Someone of adult size threatened the cop with breaking his jaw. The arrest was deserved. The leg sweep was possibly OTT but had nothing to do with race. And no damage was done. The comparisons with the US situation are drawing a very long bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And should the cop stop and check what race the guy is before acting? Someone of adult size threatened the cop with breaking his jaw. The arrest was deserved. The leg sweep was possibly OTT but had nothing to do with race. And no damage was done. The comparisons with the US situation are drawing a very long bow.

This incident may not be the same as the American

But Aboriginal treatment by the police - is similar to minorities in the USA

If not worse

The leg sweep was fine. Put the little prick on the ground where he needed to be, because he was uncompliant. And I would have said the same thing if he was white, yellow, brown, or a multilcoloured genderless alien.

The leg sweep was fine. Put the little prick on the ground where he needed to be, because he was uncompliant. And I would have said the same thing if he was white, yellow, brown, or a multilcoloured genderless alien.

What if he cracked his skull?

Isn't that the theory why the coward punch is pretty bad - the head hitting the road / footpath

This incident may not be the same as the American

But Aboriginal treatment by the police - is similar to minorities in the USA

If not worse

ROFL. I have seen cops and security doing worse to people on nights out in Northbridge and it never made the news. Maybe it's because they were white?

ROFL. I have seen cops and security doing worse to people on nights out in Northbridge and it never made the news. Maybe it's because they were white?

Arnt I agreeing with you? This incident doesn't appear that bad as a one off but when you couple it with Aboriginal death in divy vans and trains - and the rate of Aboriginals in jail it's pretty bleak no?

So it makes it ok then? Or the fact you've claimed to see worse things happen to what soomeone did to a 16 year old kid means its ok?

So it makes it ok then? Or the fact you've claimed to see worse things happen to what soomeone did to a 16 year old kid means its ok?

No, what I saw doesn't MAKE IT ok, because it would be ok with me regardless of whether I'd seen those things or not. The officer brought the uncompliant, threatening perpetrator to ground in the most efficient manner possible and did so without using excessive force or inflicting serious harm on him. The fact that I've seen police and security guards doing worse things to people on nights out that never made the news, leads me to believe that this is a concerted effort to piggyback off what's happening in the US to draw unwarranted attention to the arrest of an unruly citizen in australia, because he is a racial minority.

You're a disgusting pig. A real keyboard warrior, aren't you?

The kid looked like he was already under control. What you are doing is advocating violence for no other reason than being a cruel troglodyte.

You are the sort of person who throws rocks at animals.

No, what I saw doesn't MAKE IT ok, because it would be ok with me regardless of whether I'd seen those things or not. The officer brought the uncompliant, threatening perpetrator to ground in the most efficient manner possible and did so without using excessive force or inflicting serious harm on him. The fact that I've seen police and security guards doing worse things to people on nights out that never made the news, leads me to believe that this is a concerted effort to piggyback off what's happening in the US to draw unwarranted attention to the arrest of an unruly citizen in australia, because he is a racial minority.

Threatening?

The kid was already under control.

You are a vile, sick individual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back