Autopsy Another day of same se

Remove this Banner Ad

Respectfully, your replacement coach suggestion right now?
Weather the storm man. It’s so early on a rebuild it’s not funny. I’m not saying I’ll put up with a Melbourne Demons style scenario, but this thing has only just started. How impatient are you? What do you know better than professional coaches? Please, do tell us your wisdom & how you’d fix this overnight.

Seriously mate - how do you fix this situation right now - better than Nobes & Rawling can do it.

They’re trying. They’re not deliberately f**king with us for fun. They want premiership number five.
If I can’t back them in, I’m definitely not thinking you’ve got the answers, but it sounds like you think you do…? So, please, do tell us mate. What exactly should the club do right now?

We are going to get flogged for a bit.
Every friggen team that’s won a flag has spent time at the bottom before they’ve got back to the top.
Stop being an impatient little bitch.
Unless you’ve got a better plan than the club does?
And I’m 100% sure you don’t.

Go back to being a supporter & actually support.
Period. You’re my favourite poster markloveswine

I've reached my limit with our team as well but which proven coach are we putting in?
It's too late now, but Mark Williams springs to mind, and applied for the job. I'm like most people I've followed them for so long and have been through some fairly lean era's, but I don't believe the current state is on the players alone.

He’d have to defend at half back as well. JHF & TT look terrible in those clips but they wouldn’t be alone. Save for a handful of players it’s a team wide problem. I bet behind the goals footage would be damning on our forwards and defenders.
Prob explains why they both started on the pine in the 3rd.

At the point now some players need to be asked if they are in or not regardless of how much talent that player may have.

Get on or get the * off now.

Hell no and dont worry about JHF, if he hadnt bought into the club he wouldnt be wearing a North mouth guard. Yes a little thing, but is a sign of what the club colours mean to him.
sorry mate but the kids gone, if not signed before trade period we need to get on the front foot, a first rounder this year, plus A player and the teams 2023 first rounder, would give us two selections this year in first round and another two in 2023…I would look at trading out Thomas no issue for a late first or possible early second round….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At a bit of a loss. We've shown very marginal improvement since I set my own standards for the team to meet in order that Noble remains. We see glimpses during games but we're so insanely far off being able to put together a decent performance for four quarters it beggars belief. There's something rotten at this club. You can't have so many clearly talented players regressing/stagnating. Simpkin still does stupid s**t. Thomas, despite a brilliant first quarter, is a shadow of the player he was in the second half of last year. Powell thankfully seems to have gotten some of his spark back but hasn't improved on last year. Larkey's been super quiet most weeks, although he has had the burden of being double teamed to navigate. Even JHF seems to have lost a touch of confidence since arriving at the club. Add to that some of our recruitment and contract decisions, which have been iffy at best, as well as BBB's comments on the disparity between our training standards and Melbourne's training standards, and it just feels like incompetence runs throughout most of the club's operations. I look at Hawthorn and I believe there's no reason why we shouldn't be where they are right now, consistently taking it up to teams despite not being in a position to challenge for finals. I get the sense that there are a lot of problems within the four walls of the club, that run deeply into the off-field management positions, but I don't know what the most practical solution for those problems is. Noble is officially on notice for me personally, but I remain far from convinced that sacking him and him only will change our onfield fortunes in the slightest

It’s a dilemma. The senior guys we kept are not good enough (apart from Ben 10), and the senior guys we cut were less good still. Only Higgins would have added quality, which is why he was the only one of any trade value at all.

I was feeling the opposite watching yesterday. If we are going to be thrashed every week we might as well be giving younger more talented players games - this year they are not really getting much visible leadership or protection from the older ones.

Dispiriting.

We just lack mongrel around the contest.

From the first bounce in the second quarter our reasonable defensive pressure slacked noticeably and it was downhill from there, once we were challenged there was no leadership, the team didn't lift the pressure back up, it just degenerated into clown-world again where we were content to just go through the motions. Nobody instinctively knows what to do under pressure, we need to make it a lot easier for it to become instinctive by demanding it week in, week out to get a game.

We are just not competitive. There isn't enough emphasis on making sure opposition players aren't loose to receive uncontested disposals, need to prevent them getting easy uncontested marks and when they do get a ball they should feel under pressure. We have a number of players who are weak in their core, they are your regulation GTGs, go to grass, players like Curtis Taylor, almost every contest he ends up on his arse and he isn't alone.

There is only so much we can do with the really bad list structure, can only address that at the end of seasons. What the coach needs to do is say put your hand up if you are prepared to run and hunt the opposition, stick your hand up if you are going to commit to trying to give me 2 tackles a quarter from players outside of the engine room and from everyone in the engine room I want you to be on the defensive side of your opponent at every stoppage and we are going to use the rest of the season to learn how to execute defensive footy and learn how to rebound with spread, so no kicks over 30m. You are going to learn how to play regulation footy which is the bread and butter of the game. It doesn't matter if you stay or go to another club, they are going to expect you to execute the basics of the game.

Don't care if we lose every game, we can barely kick 8 goals a game on average playing our current footy, so lets try and get something out of the remaining season and build up some confidence for next year. If everyone smacks in hard and puts the opposition under a lot of pressure you are going to build up confidence in yourself, your teammates and you are going to buy in to what we are doing. Anyone soft gets dropped. Anyone not physically up to it gets dropped/rested. We don't want cheap Hawks line-in-the-sand cheap shots, just get players to hunger for the contest, too many are shirking contests and hope someone else gets them an easy ball.

We are just way too easy to play against and I would imagine none of our players are enjoying getting their pants pulled down around their ankles. We have some talent in the middle but it is complete anarchy in there atm and it isn't an environment anyone with skill can show it. Not everyone is buying into doing the hard defensive work and that has to change, immediately.

It's the calamity or collective collapse of everything that was wrong with our footy dept. We're trying to fix it.

Training standards not up to par? Noble and Blakey come in with MacPherson
Strength and conditioning shithouse? Completely overhauled.
Lack of development still to be addressed.
List management quit on us
Ben Buckley leaves Sonja to deal with the mess he is partly to blame.
Ben Amarfio vs media
Rawlings vs media and dealing with the list management cluster*..

It's all just s**t. We're nowhere near it. I was telling mates we are far from rising up the ladder and don't expect us to rise as quickly during preseason.

We're in this mess and ultimately we will stay at this level until things improve from the top.

Don’t know if anyone has posted this already, if not, check it out.

Troy Makepeace on yesterday’s 2nd quarter.

Interesting and refreshing to see an ex player so invested as a supporter quite uncommon especially for players who didn’t have extensive careers. Was delisted as a 27 year old in his prime and could have held it against the club.

Would love to know what our Monday reviews look like at the club. How extensive they are ? Do they review patches of play like this and then drill/work on CBA’s where midfielders specifically don’t trail there man in with a focus on halving or neutralising the stoppage when the oppo have a 2-3 goal run on ?

Do they highlight our constant 2 & 3 players to the contests on the wing where we leave oppo in 3 metres of space on the outside and then it’s a 2-1 overlap for the poor halfback coming up to apply pressure ? And then specifically drill contests like this where they communicate who’s going to ball carrier or contest and who’s staying out to cover a runner or even god forbid us get a handball receive on the outside to creat our own offense.

I’m not saying they don’t,they probably do. But I’m wondering if that’s what it’s like or they more acknowledge it and move back on to their game plan with a more wholistic emphasis on a team brand rather than specific situations we are noticeably poor in ?

Wouldn’t it be awesome to see access of this as general supporters or is it the footy nerds like me that just want to know this stuff ?

Interesting and refreshing to see an ex player so invested as a supporter quite uncommon especially for players who didn’t have extensive careers. Was delisted as a 27 year old in his prime and could have held it against the club.

Would love to know what our Monday reviews look like at the club. How extensive they are ? Do they review patches of play like this and then drill/work on CBA’s where midfielders specifically don’t trail there man in with a focus on halving or neutralising the stoppage when the oppo have a 2-3 goal run on ?

Do they highlight our constant 2 & 3 players to the contests on the wing where we leave oppo in 3 metres of space on the outside and then it’s a 2-1 overlap for the poor halfback coming up to apply pressure ? And then specifically drill contests like this where they communicate who’s going to ball carrier or contest and who’s staying out to cover a runner or even god forbid us get a handball receive on the outside to creat our own offense.

I’m not saying they don’t,they probably do. But I’m wondering if that’s what it’s like or they more acknowledge it and move back on to their game plan with a more wholistic emphasis on a team brand rather than specific situations we are noticeably poor in ?

Wouldn’t it be awesome to see access of this as general supporters or is it the footy nerds like me that just want to know this stuff ?

AFL players are always complaining about the amount of meetings and reviews they have.

Spose everyone would have a slightly different way of doing things. There’s stories about players falling asleep in Ross Lyons reviews because he’d spend so long going through every little detail of the game.

I have wondered if Nobel is over-coaching them like that and that’s why they look out of sorts, or he’s not doing it enough. It’s really hard to know from the outside.

The key is knowing the right amount for the group you have.

I’ve heard Dal Santo talk about players that could of been guns if they were just allowed to play, but instead were always too worried about standing in the right place at stoppages because they’d get smashed for being out of position every Monday morning.

AFL players are always complaining about the amount of meetings and reviews they have.

Spose everyone would have a slightly different way of doing things. There’s stories about players falling asleep in Ross Lyons reviews because he’d spend so long going through every little detail of the game.

I have wondered if Nobel is over-coaching them like that and that’s why they look out of sorts, or he’s not doing it enough. It’s really hard to know from the outside.

The key is knowing the right amount for the group you have.

I’ve heard Dal Santo talk about players that could of been guns if they were just allowed to play, but instead were always too worried about standing in the right place at stoppages because they’d get smashed for being out of position every Monday morning.
You make a great point. It would be hard to strike the balance between there being some players who need to be drilled and others who might need a longer leash to reach their potential. I guess it’s no longer a one size fits all approach. Which is good.

But there also has to be non negotiable tactics, basic stoppage strategy, movement patterns both with and without the ball and common sense applied for all. Something I’d personally find super interesting to know what Nobles teaching day in an day out. Not in a negative way but genuine curiosity of the inner workings of a coaching panels tactics

Pressure on his spot. Something the other leaders haven’t experienced.
Exactly. His best footy this year came after he was apparently about to be dropped then offered a lifeline due to injury. He’s given more effort in the forward line now that he’s 20% there than he showed whilst he was 80% there at the start of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back