Another game, another lead, another loss!

Remove this Banner Ad

The same old story!

It's probably a good thing that the boards have been down. I will be able to control my anger and disappointment a little more than if I had typed this at 6pm.

I don't know how the other saints fans are feeling but as optimistic and loyal as I am, this losing streak is really starting hurt. If it was possible, I would gladly take a step back and have a life away from football.

Unfortunately as everyone in here knows, once you love your footy team it's impossible to let it go.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of people will think I have the wrong attitude but I went to today's game expecting to lose. I thought that if I expected to lose, I wouldn't be so disappointed.

But of course, as usual, the saints showed heaps of promise and earned a well deserved 6 goal lead. Only a saints fan would view their team as less than an even money chance at half time when they are leading 10 goals to 4.

And again as usual, we panicked, lost out way and let Collingwood run all over us.

In the face of a Collingwood onslaught in the last quarter, we lost our best player for the day in Aussie Jones with a hamstring injury and Fraser Gehrig who was doing a great job on Chris Tarrant. Matty Capuano did his knee and Robert Harvey's injury plagued start to his career has returned in his twilight years.

I don't blame these injuries on our defeat because the magpies had already fought back and were running all over us. It's just that these are four more quality players lost for next week and perhaps even longer. Things start to look good and the next second it's back to the usual bleak outlook.

I realise this should be in the St Kilda team boards but frankly the more people that see how much our fans are hurting, the better. (Plus our official forum has been overrun by Collingwood supporters)

We are not asking for too much. All we want is a four quarter performance with a little bit of heart.

I feel sorry for a youngster like Justin Koschitzke who was magnificent today. Why a kid in his 6th game of AFL football is seemingly showing the way to play to his more experienced teammates is beyond me.

We are in the extremely rare position of having a little financial stability at the moment. It will not last if our supporters have to put up with so many losses and lack of application week after week!

Looking at my fixture, Melbourne have the bye next week, followed by Essendon and then Freo.

I thought Freo WAS the bye sainter. :)

Sorry mate, your team tried their guts out for a half but couldn't keep it going. I know you'll bounce back though, the team will regroup and get close to the finals. Your injury list is killing you though, if you had your best team on the park I reckon you'd be more than competitive.

I can't help though but feel I little glad that Malcolm's finding the return to coaching a little harder than he expected.... :D

Originally posted by sainter
The same old story!

It's probably a good thing that the boards have been down. I will be able to control my anger and disappointment a little more than if I had typed this at 6pm.

I don't know how the other saints fans are feeling but as optimistic and loyal as I am, this losing streak is really starting hurt. If it was possible, I would gladly take a step back and have a life away from football.

Unfortunately as everyone in here knows, once you love your footy team it's impossible to let it go.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of people will think I have the wrong attitude but I went to today's game expecting to lose. I thought that if I expected to lose, I wouldn't be so disappointed.

But of course, as usual, the saints showed heaps of promise and earned a well deserved 6 goal lead. Only a saints fan would view their team as less than an even money chance at half time when they are leading 10 goals to 4.

And again as usual, we panicked, lost out way and let Collingwood run all over us.

In the face of a Collingwood onslaught in the last quarter, we lost our best player for the day in Aussie Jones with a hamstring injury and Fraser Gehrig who was doing a great job on Chris Tarrant. Matty Capuano did his knee and Robert Harvey's injury plagued start to his career has returned in his twilight years.

I don't blame these injuries on our defeat because the magpies had already fought back and were running all over us. It's just that these are four more quality players lost for next week and perhaps even longer. Things start to look good and the next second it's back to the usual bleak outlook.

I realise this should be in the St Kilda team boards but frankly the more people that see how much our fans are hurting, the better. (Plus our official forum has been overrun by Collingwood supporters)

We are not asking for too much. All we want is a four quarter performance with a little bit of heart.

I feel sorry for a youngster like Justin Koschitzke who was magnificent today. Why a kid in his 6th game of AFL football is seemingly showing the way to play to his more experienced teammates is beyond me.

We are in the extremely rare position of having a little financial stability at the moment. It will not last if our supporters have to put up with so many losses and lack of application week after week!

Looking at my fixture, Melbourne have the bye next week, followed by Essendon and then Freo.

We only had to play 15 minutes of footbal today to win. I cannot believe the way Collingwood played in the first half which was clearly our worst half of football for the year. Thankfully the players rectified this in the second half and ran all over StKilda.

APA

... I'm sure a lot of people will think I have the wrong attitude but I went to today's game expecting to lose. I thought that if I expected to lose, I wouldn't be so disappointed ... Only a saints fan would view their team as less than an even money chance at half time when they are leading 10 goals to 4 ... Looking at my fixture, Melbourne have the bye next week, followed by Essendon and then Freo.

I don't usually spare much thought for the opposition when we win, but that really must have been heart-breaking for you. I also make a point of going to matches expecting to lose. These last few years of following Collingwood have done that to me, I suppose. So every win is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. This time last year Collingwood was the bye. There are a few similarities. Champion coach. High expectations. Some good young players. Maybe Blighty might have to do a big clean out like Malthouse did. Either that or throw one of his famous tantrums.

So, don't lose hope.

You're right. There's no going back once you've formed an allegiance to a footy club. And St.Kilda seems to attract a pretty resilient type of supporter.

I hope you burn those Demons in hell next week and send the tweed jacketed poonces off to the snow in their Toorak tractors to get away from the heat.

gutted

sainter,

my frustration and anger over saturdays debacle has now been replaced by self pity. i am absolutely gutted, being a saints supporter is not easy, in fact it can be painful.

after the improvement of the side during the 90's i never wanted the club to return to the shameful and humiliating days of the early 80's, unfortunately we are now there. 4 wins out of the last 40 odd games is testament to our ineptness as a football club. i know you took exception to rohan connolly calling our club a basket case, what do you think now 9 rounds into the season?

the team keeps showing signs of improvement and they displayed some positive signs in the first half with their desire to chase, tackle and harass the quicker magpie players out of the game. moyle was negating o'bree, thommo was thrashing buckley, gehrig was to fast and strong for tarrant, aussie was running amok and harvey and everitt were dominating the midfield. but once again they undid all of the good work with a second half performance that reeked of panic and a distinct lack of any faith in themselves to win the game. collingwood did nothing different throughout the game, the only difference in the game was st kilda was as bad in the second half as it was good in the first.

our injury list accumulated with the injuries out of the game is that little extra kick in the guts we didn't need. we have not been able to pick our best side this year and have never had a settled side for 2 weeks in a row. only when we get a settled side over a few games will we see any real improvement.

theres always next week ;)
(as if we haven't told ourselves that 1000's of times.)

Are we heading in the right direction? Is there such a thing as a good loss - 'cos we've had 5 of those this year, but haven't learned anything from it. Expect another clean out at the end of the year, 'cos the second string players ie. Pekit, Young, & co. are just not good enough anymore. I know injuries aren't an excuse, but we're having to fill up the gaps with second rate, passion-less, wannabe's. The chemestry of team is there now with that being demonstrated in the 1st half of the game on Saturday. when this team clicks into gear - probably next year I'm guessing - I can see them cutting sides to ribbons.

Re: gutted - that's exactly how I felt yesterday

3000ks away & no matter how hard I barracked I couldn't do anything to help to get them over the line, my good will just won't flow through the ether, geez I wish it could.

I hadn’t had a smoke for a week & a half, but that 2nd half just broke my will-power. Trying to give up again today.

Don’t even feel dirty on the players. I’m not going to indulge in analysis, s#1t just happened! I will however say that I don't agree with JLC's view of the game, frankly they had to play 100 mins, not 15.

Somehow we have to dredge up some hope for the future.

Next week Sainters.

Alf

I reckon you're alright. Certainly hope we can dig ourselves out of that bloody big hole & give mlb supporters an excuse to get their 4wds dirty.

Thanks Alf,

Blight spoke about the similarities between the St Kilda of 2001 and the Collingwood of 2000. If we can improve like the pies have, I will be very happy.

I have to say that it is quite an experience being surrounded by the Collingwood faithful at the MCG. It is a very lonely place to be when your side gives up a huge lead and 70% of the crowd are screaming.

It's a sign of a good team when they can play rather poorly at the beginning but still be able to run all over the opposition in the second half. With a few more winnable games coming up, Collingwood really have a chance to cement a top 8 position going into the second half of the season.

STL,

The mere thought of that smug a-hole is enough to want me to throw up. With the bombers playing so well and the saints struggling, Rohan must be patting himself on the back.

And yes, I still think we are far from a "basket case". I don't think any of our supporters are making excuses for our performances of late. There is no excuse for giving up match winning leads like we did in Round 7 and 9. But I think the club have done all they can off the field to improve the organisation as a whole and we have to be a little patient. If it means copping some more losses and having to get rid of another large group of players at the end of the year, so be it.

We are in for the long haul!

Ant,

How did I know that Malcolm Blight would get a mention from you? Round 15 at Colonial Stadium will be an interesting game.

:D

I think St Kilda are starting to turn the corner, as are the Eagles. But what supporters have to realize is, that it doesn't happen overnight.

It will be at least another 4 years, before either side finds themselves as genuine premiership contendors.

Alf Andrews

I do not possess a tweed jacket, tartan blanket, rangerover, never been to the snow...nor a chardonay!!!

so do you class all Melbourne supporters in the same basket.case?

What would you say if I told you :
I live in the western suburbs, drive a bomb, am unemployed, struggle to buy my Melb. and Storm memberships and I am a Melbourne Supporter.

Am I still a tweed coat punce?:(
This image is one we want to rid of the club, it applies to only a very small minority of MCC members (who most aren't football club members)...

Cheers.

Originally posted by ant

I can't help though but feel I little glad that Malcolm's finding the return to coaching a little harder than he expected.... :D

Wonder if Tim Watson is feeling a little glad about that too :D

Good luck Saints, you are my second team and I keep hoping that you'll crack it soon.

I was in the members at the MCG for the first time on Saturday and, as a Saints supporter was pretty dissapointed with the second half performance. There are many ifs and buts in a game of football and at the end of the day the Magpies deserved a hard fought win. They were pinned down in the first half and looked like cracking open in the last ten of the second quarter.
I knew that this Collingwood team would fight back, they are a quality football side, however even at three quarter time I thought the Saints had a better than even chance.
Now to any Pie supporter reading this, as I said your side deserved to win, but I challenge any side (with the possible exception of Essendon) to lose the sides best player (Jones), the sides best defender (Gehrig had Tarrants measure at the time - no mean feat), the sides champion midfielder (Harvey) and finally a tall in defence (Capuano), all in the space of ten minutes, while the opposition is coming at you, and still manage to win.
Remember Saints fans the goals in the third quarter were only 4-2. This is hardly crumbling. The last quarter and the game was always Collingwoods for the taking after they had lifted, and Buckley had the tag broken.
Good luck to you Pies, I hope you go well this season. To the Saints fans, keep the faith, stay patient. We have a young list of quality players and the future - even this year looks bright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The same old story!

well what can i say , at half time listening to the game, i thought, can we win. what other team ids there at the moment, where you are 30 points in front at half time, and stilldon't think we can win. it is heartbreaking to hear them, play, to listen to the commentry, to watch them time and time again, do the same things.

i don't know when they will improve, but i can't see it happening soon, i wish, really wish i was wrong.:(

all i can think of, is ...

maybe next year.

maybe if we did not have injuries,
maybe if we got rid of more of the dead wood
maybe if they halfed their pay packets,

maybe then they would play decently over a 4 quarter period.

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
What would you say if I told you :
I live in the western suburbs, drive a bomb, am unemployed, struggle to buy my Melb. and Storm memberships and I am a Melbourne Supporter.

You think you've got it bad!!!

I have to get up at half past ten at night (half an hour before I go to bed) eat a lump of freezing cold poison, work 25 hours a day at mill ... AND pay mill owner to let me work there.

Melbourne memberships and Storm memberships indeed!!!

Luxury!!!

At Collingwood we're lucky if we can afford to watch the replay on someone else's stolen TV.

Cheers :)

Maybe it is time Robert Harvey got traded.
I cant understand making Harvs captain when he is always injured.
Dont get me wrong i have got a lot of respect for champion players but you got to bite the bullet sometimes.

Collingwood let go Willo to sydney and i think it is paying divdends now.
We have got another injury prone player in Scott Burns and it wouldn't suprised me if he was next.

Trade Robert Harvey, doubt it.
For the reasons;
1. He is still one of the best players going around
2. He is close to St Kilda's best ever player, and trading him would be seen as sacregligous.
3. As good as player he is, he has only a couple of years maximum in him, so most clubs would pass on the opportunity to take him, as trades are usually seen as a long term investement.

Originally posted by WCE2000
Trade Robert Harvey, doubt it.
For the reasons;
1. He is still one of the best players going around
2. He is close to St Kilda's best ever player, and trading him would be seen as sacregligous.
3. As good as player he is, he has only a couple of years maximum in him, so most clubs would pass on the opportunity to take him, as trades are usually seen as a long term investement.

Harvey was interviewed on Melbourne's Triple M after Saturday's match, and was very despondent about his injury. I didn't hear the whole interview, but the commentary team that spoke to him said that his tone hinted at the contemplation of retirement at the end of the season.

I have heard worse ideas Magpie24. Most Saint fans thought the world would cave in after Plugger left but it was beneficial to both Sydney (GF '96) and St Kilda (GF '97) without getting what all fans really aka a flag.
Trading Banger would be harder to swallow than Lockett as I think moving north only did him good as a person and footballer, while Harvey doesn't need the move.
To put it in perspective trading Harvey for St Kilda supporters would be akin to trading Buckley for Collingwood supporters. I dont know if the administration would get out alive.:)

Originally posted by Darky

Harvey was interviewed on Melbourne's Triple M after Saturday's match, and was very despondent about his injury. I didn't hear the whole interview, but the commentary team that spoke to him said that his tone hinted at the contemplation of retirement at the end of the season.

Darky, it wasn't quite like that. BT tried to put those words into his mouth. He didn't say anything like that. He's not yet 30, even if he can't run like he used to, I'd prop him on the HFF and watch him dance around defences for another few years yet.

Trade him, absolutely no way. To use Paul Williams as the analogy is ridiculous.

C'mon sainter(s)

To be quite truthful with you, it seems like you've all been locked up in the Big Brother house for too long and all you saint fans who want Harvey traded, you've finally gone nuts!

The fact is the club will NEVER NEVER NEVER trade their best player, Spider Everitt is someone who should go, he's nothing but a distraction to the rest of the side.

Now come on, we all know you've played some pretty good footy in the past few weeks and have just fialed to get over the line, all games except the Kangaroos you were competitive in - yeah I know so have the Dockers!

At least when you've lost games, you haven't done it without a whimper like a certain Blue and White Hoop-der-fair did for more than a month.

Take it from someone who knows, all you need is one win and it will turn around - as Steve Waugh told the Richmond team, you never lose your ability, just your confidence and the ability is there, it was proven in round 1.

Stick with them, it's amazing how one thing can turn it around. Look at Bizzell yesterday, hasn't done a thing all year yet tunred the match with a great goal when the scores were level, suddenly, one side got confident and the other fell to pieces, it can happen, believe me!

Originally posted by gocatsgo
To be quite truthful with you, it seems like you've all been locked up in the Big Brother house for too long and all you saint fans who want Harvey traded, you've finally gone nuts!

gocatsgo
I have read back over the posts, and I can't find the Saints supporter who wants to trade him. If there is one anywhere, I'd be very surprised.

I believe he is one of the 4 best players to pull on the Red White & Black, and unless he wants to go (which I seriously doubt, as he would have done it years ago when Carlton threw money at him) he will never be traded.

Your comments about winning are very true, at the moment we have forgotten how to win when faced with a bit of pressure. We'll stick at it, lets face it if we didn't have that attitude we'd have all given up a long time ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back