Roast Another goal debacle

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty obvious. This is an AFL-directed conspiracy against the Essendon Football Club that has been going on since that ASADA meme. We saw it in Sydney, we saw it against Collingwood, we saw it tonight.

Is it any coincidence Gill was in the crowd? No doubt trying to make sure his match fixing got over the line. Thankfully those brave boys in red and black overcame the adversity yet again to record a win.

What happens if an umpire thinks it was over the line, they review it, and it turns out it never crossed the goal line?

When in doubt, it should always be play on.

Think it happened to North yesterday. Umpire wasn't sure if the ball was a behind when NM were clearing it from defence.. Stopped for a review which found it didn't fully cross the line. Instead of North getting possession again there's a ball up on their defensive goal square.

Give me today's call in the game everyday of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t get my head around what happened here.

It’s not a review. It wasn’t even bloody close. It’s just a goal. And he was perfectly positioned.

Couch warriors like us can easily tell when it's in super slow mo. In real time these things are hard to pick. Not easy being a goal umpire especially now that score reviews can result in a group of fans asking for you to be hung, drawn and quartered.

Think it happened to North yesterday. Umpire wasn't sure if the ball was a behind when NM were clearing it from defence.. Stopped for a review which found it didn't fully cross the line. Instead of North getting possession again there's a ball up on their defensive goal square.

Give me today's call in the game everyday of the week.

I think it was Port v Giants?

I hope people realise this is just a case of human error. The goal umpire thought the ball hadn't crossed the line and was still in play. There is no mechanism for a review in this situation.

Do people want to see the game stopped only for a review to confirm the ball was still in play? Or a review the next time that time off is blown?
That did happen yesterday

Umpiring all game was an absolute disgrace. The 5 metre mark and goal to Swallow was terrible too. Another missed OOTF lead to a Gold Coast goal too.

Very nearly cost Essendon the game.
Holy s**t. Bazza’s sticking up for the dons, we’re 3 horsemen off an apocalypse.

On topic, horrendous decision and there were a few more which led directly to GC goals but it happens, take the 4 points and move on (if we’d got done I’d have my pitchfork out already obviously)

What happens if an umpire thinks it was over the line, they review it, and it turns out it never crossed the goal line?

When in doubt, it should always be play on.

i think the point is it should never have been in doubt - that goal umpire is clearly not up to it.

half a meter over the line and called play on is just pathetic miss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back