Remove this Banner Ad

GeeUUess

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2011
Essendon
AFL Club
GWS
Hey guys,

Not looking for advice on what to do because its the internet and hard to diagnose.

Basically I'm looking for advice on whether too see a doctor or a physio.

The injury can be traced back about 7 years as a 13yo. I got tackled and my leg got stuck under the tackler, it took me a a few minutes to get feeling back in the lower leg and I went to the bench. After about 10 minutes I went back on and it presented no problem. But ever since I've been able to crack my knee (couldn't before).

I've been squatting and gyming for about 3 preseasons now. I first noticed a bit of instability in my knee about 9months ago but brushed it aside. Then it started happening when I'd kick or even sometimes when I'd land on my leg my knee would buckle and I'd be sat down on my backside! Rare occurences (maybe 1 in every 1000 jumps) but some instability was felt in every jump.

No problems when running, although I feel my knee doesn't bend at 100% pace. When I extend/straighten my leg when running (or lying down in bed like I am at the moment) I can feel a little tender spot in my kneecap.

The last few weeks I've been squatting my arse off (literally) and have really noticed my knee holding me back. I don't feel stable. It hurts to extend. Not blaming the squatting, its just an action and load on my back that brings out the problem.

If you want to put your 2cents worth into a diagnosis thats great and I'll be thankful but what I'm after is a suggestion to see the doctor or physio.

Thanks Bigfooty.

F**k you scared me man - this popped up in my alerts and I read the title thinking it was posted on the Freo board.

Don't know what normal procedure is but when I tore something in my knee I just went to the doctor. They booked me in for an op and only referred me to a physio for my rehab afterwards.

I had something that sounds kinda similar. Didn't leave it 7 years tho, about 7 months or so.

Turned out to be cartilage damage. Had an arthroscope to clean it out and haven't had a problem since.
That was about 10 years.

go see someone to refer for a MRI. physios can do this but im not sure about gps. physio can give you advice on some things that may be detrimental to the knee in the short term before an orthopaedic review. they may also be able to give you a pretty good idea about diagnosis too.

it sounds like a few different things could be going on anyway. but you will eventually probably need to see both.

good luck with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back