Welcome Another Irishman: Stefan Okunbor

Remove this Banner Ad

"Stefan attended the AFL Combine in Dublin and then in Florida in January 2017 where players are screened for athletic testing such as agility, speed and jumping results are all recorded at the combine, along with an introduction to the oval-shaped ball.

Okunbor did not make the cut but his performances with the U-20’s was being monitored and Geelong Cats renewed their interest in signing him."

That's an interesting chunk of text.

Wonder why they kept an eye on him after he bombed the combine.

"Stefan attended the AFL Combine in Dublin and then in Florida in January 2017 where players are screened for athletic testing such as agility, speed and jumping results are all recorded at the combine, along with an introduction to the oval-shaped ball.

Okunbor did not make the cut but his performances with the U-20’s was being monitored and Geelong Cats renewed their interest in signing him."

He was man of the match in the under-20 Munster final for Kerry against Cork. Maybe we're going for proven finals performers?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ga...est-kingdom-side-to-conquer-munster-1.3548816

In saying that though he didn't do so well in the all-Ireland semi-finals where they lost a tight match to Kildare:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0714/978688-kildare-reach-under-20-with-dramatic-win-over-kerry/

Two Hyland points either side of a McLoughlin score powered Kildare into a 0-13 to 0-09 lead but the game winning score soon arrived in the 47th minute.

A poor short free kick by Kerry full back Stefan Okunbor went straight to half back Ruadhan O’Giollan and he powered past a few Kerry defenders before offloading to the sharpshooter Hyland who rounded Brian Lonergan to push Kildare seven points clear.

I'm prepared to bet that the starting O was not originally pronounced the way the Oirish media boys pronounced it in that interview.
Indeed - very irishfied when you hear the same surname being used at

Word of caution to anyone wanting to to turn a ethnic surname into a source of fun or ridicule - just dont.

Indeed - very irishfied when you hear the same surname being used at

Word of caution to anyone wanting to to turn a ethnic surname into a source of fun or ridicule - just dont.

Bolded for emphasis.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair trek Dublin to Florida for a second crack. Keen at least.

Now we know why they let O'Connor go home early to sign up his Kerry team mate, there were a couple of key position Irish players at the combine I was hoping we might look at but this guy looks like a beast already.

Now we know why they let O'Connor go home early to sign up his Kerry team mate, there were a couple of key position Irish players at the combine I was hoping we might look at but this guy looks like a beast already.
"Shite! I'm in trouble now. I'd better be signing up young Stef. That should save me arse!"

It's just poorly worded, he actually dominated the combine finishing top 10 for agility and 20m sprint. When they say "didn't make the cut" what they really mean is he didn't get picked up by an AFL club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back