Welcome Another Irishman: Stefan Okunbor

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
All these posts - hes got great size - who cares - look at Jansen - he was huge for a midfielder - and he was no good at all - where as Caleb Daniel - the bloke in the helmet for the Scrays - is 4 foot nothing - but he is a very good player - talent is the key

It was a bit like - back in the day - recruiting Architects - what was the most important thing - " Can they Draw " - in other words - have they got natural talent .

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
All these posts - hes got great size - who cares - look at Jansen - he was huge for a midfielder - and he was no good at all - where as Caleb Daniel - the bloke in the helmet for the Scrays - is 4 foot nothing - but he is a very good player - talent is the key

It was a bit like - back in the day - recruiting Architects - what was the most important thing - " Can they Draw " - in other words - have they got natural talent .

It's not a sub 180cm competition.
Caleb is to small.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics

Bit harsh on JJ as we never played him in the 1's and he did play a few solid games for the Lions with mid 20 possessions before injury got to him - far from being no good at all :)
Okunbor is clearly a punt but from what he's showed at training he's giving it a real crack - you can't ask for more than that.
He's a fair chunk of a bloke and an athlete to boot so happy to get behind him and wish him all the best.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
There's more to Stefan than size and athleticism.
He is a very good Gaelic footballer.
His highlights shows skills that translate well into AFL.
He can take a good grab and reads the play.
His transition to our game is already going well, judging by the footage at training of his oval ball kicking.

Rimbaud82

Rookie
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Do they tackle in the Irish game it looks like touch to me.

No not like AFL tackles, but it's certainly not touch either...

crowley-shoulder-2.gif

corksligo2.gif

DimpledAncientBighornedsheep-size_restricted.gif

oneill1.gif

You can only play at the ball, unless it is shoulder to shoulder in which case it's fair game.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
There's more to Stefan than size and athleticism.
He is a very good Gaelic footballer.
His highlights shows skills that translate well into AFL.
He can take a good grab and reads the play.
His transition to our game is already going well, judging by the footage at training of his oval ball kicking.
I found it interesting that his skills as a Gaelic footballer and his physique have been questioned in this thread (as in, just another good junior).

He's way more than that, quality defender who can move into the midfield.

Yes he may take time to adjust but I believe the investment will pay dividends.

May 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

crowley-shoulder-2.gif

corksligo2.gif

oneill1.gif

You can only play at the ball, unless it is shoulder to shoulder in which case it's fair game.

Some nice hip and shoulders in there. Going by that footage it might actually end up being a more physical game than aussie rules in a few years with the way we are (unfortunately) heading.

Thanks for posting, its obviously more vigorous than i thought it was.

Rimbaud82

Rookie
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Some nice hip and shoulders in there. Going by that footage it might actually end up being a more physical game than aussie rules in a few years with the way we are (unfortunately) heading.

Thanks for posting, its obviously more vigorous than i thought it was.

Don't think we will ever reach aussie rules levels of physicality, as long yous continue to allow the tackle! But gaelic is somewhere in the middle ground between aussie rules and soccer, definitely still a tough, physical sport...even where there is no shoulder bump, the nature of players grabbing and striking at the ball means you have to be strong in the tackle anyway:

1390664.jpg

Rimbaud82

Rookie
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I found it interesting that his skills as a Gaelic footballer and his physique have been questioned in this thread (as in, just another good junior).

He's way more than that, quality defender who can move into the midfield.

Yes he may take time to adjust but I believe the investment will pay dividends.

Yeah I am not sure where that has come from, he's not a super exciting forward like Mark O'Connor was for Kerry (or David Clifford and Sean O'Shea for players still back here) but this is a big loss for Kerry, he's a very talented footballer. Man of the match in the Munster minor final, and Munster U20 player of the year.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

crowley-shoulder-2.gif

corksligo2.gif

oneill1.gif

what size ground is this played ... , what time of year does your season run. My first thought is this would be better to watch than AFLX

Rimbaud82

Rookie
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
what size ground is this played ... , what time of year does your season run. My first thought is this would be better to watch than AFLX

Pitches for gaelic football are 130m to 145m length, and 80m to 90m width. So bigger than a soccer or rugby (or AFLX) ground. Season has started now and is in week 3 (the National Football League runs February to April), it's still taken seriously and isn't quite a pre-season event (it's the second most prestigious) but it is followed by Provincial Championships (there are four provinces in Ireland, these run through May and June) and then the most important of all the All-Ireland Football Championship with the final usually in August.

Very big game this weekend between Dublin and Mayo, you should try catch that if you are curious. It's not a weird sideshow like AFLX at least!

I'm not sure how Okunbor will end up as a player but I'm certainly not going to write him off after learning a valuable lesson in doing the same after seeing Blicavs ply his trade 3 or 4 times. I gave him absolutely no chance of making it and I won't make the same mistake twice.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not sure how Okunbor will end up as a player but I'm certainly not going to write him off after learning a valuable lesson in doing the same after seeing Blicavs ply his trade 3 or 4 times. I gave him absolutely no chance of making it and I won't make the same mistake twice.

At least you had some evidence ... I scrubbed him before seeing him. Something like ..he will be lucky to play a game and if he does it will be to justify his recruitment ...

There have been enough examples now to say that people with a certain background seem to be able to adapt .. not all to elite levels but it would not surprise me to see this StefanO get a game or 50.

At least you had some evidence ... I scrubbed him before seeing him. Something like ..he will be lucky to play a game and if he does it will be to justify his recruitment ...

There have been enough examples now to say that people with a certain background seem to be able to adapt .. not all to elite levels but it would not surprise me to see this StefanO get a game or 50.
On the opposite end of the spectrum I was bullish about O'Connor making the grade but now I'm not so sure. I simply don't get the fanfare on this board about O'Connor.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Pitches for gaelic football are 130m to 145m length, and 80m to 90m width. So bigger than a soccer or rugby (or AFLX) ground. Season has started now and is in week 3 (the National Football League runs February to April), it's still taken seriously and isn't quite a pre-season event (it's the second most prestigious) but it is followed by Provincial Championships (there are four provinces in Ireland, these run through May and June) and then the most important of all the All-Ireland Football Championship with the final usually in August.

Very big game this weekend between Dublin and Mayo, you should try catch that if you are curious. It's not a weird sideshow like AFLX at least!

Why different sizes? Id have thought the advanatage of have 4 straight sides is that you could have some sort of standard size.

So the game runs thru the Irish summer ? So each area has its own champion ( my heritage is mainly irish ..cork and tipperary although know little)... so the teams play off for the Munster championships? ... and they come together in some sort of play off ? Interesting.

Thanks for the info.....

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
On the opposite end of the spectrum I was bullish about O'Connor making the grade but now I'm not so sure. I simply don't get the fanfare on this board about O'Connor.

I sort of place him with a few others..do they have something to sperate form the herd of other possibles. Still I guess he is still on an upward trajectory coming from a non footy path.

I sort of place him with a few others..do they have something to sperate form the herd of other possibles. Still I guess he is still on an upward trajectory coming from a non footy path.
I reckon O'Connor has gone backwards strangely enough. As with a few players who have shown promise in the VFL they just don't seem to be allowed to play their natural game at AFL level. Cockatoo was a prime example when he burst onto the scene taking the game on. He got caught once and his run and carry stopped. O'Connor just doesn't seem to play with freedom and confidence at AFL level and I think that's a coaching direction.

Watch these highlights against Box Hill to get an understanding of what I'm trying to say. https://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2017-05-11/mark-oconnor-highlights

The biggest point of interest is at the 2:10 mark where he takes the game on with confidence. We don't see that now.

Rimbaud82

Rookie
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Why different sizes? Id have thought the advanatage of have 4 straight sides is that you could have some sort of standard size.

So the game runs thru the Irish summer ? So each area has its own champion ( my heritage is mainly irish ..cork and tipperary although know little)... so the teams play off for the Munster championships? ... and they come together in some sort of play off ? Interesting.

Thanks for the info.....

Not sure the reason, but some are bigger than others. And yeah runs through our summer.

And yep, ignoring the league for a second (which has different divisions) then aye each province has their champion (Munster, Connacht Leinster and Ulster), then the results of the provincials influence the match ups for the All-Ireland. The exact format has been tweaked now with Super 8s and stuff designed to make it more competitive (not all counties are equal of course), but thats the jist. Cork is in a bad way atm lol. Tipp is better at hurling than football

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure the reason, but some are bigger than others. And yeah runs through our summer.

And yep, ignoring the league for a second (which has different divisions) then aye each province has their champion (Munster, Connacht Leinster and Ulster), then the results of the provincials influence the match ups for the All-Ireland. The exact format has been tweaked now with Super 8s and stuff designed to make it more competitive (not all counties are equal of course), but thats the jist. Cork is in a bad way atm lol. Tipp is better at hurling than football
Where/how can Australians watch? Are the games streamed online? (Crucially with access to replays)

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong

Thanks for the info.....
Not all soccer grounds are the same size either. Just like Aussie Rules grounds.

Rimbaud82

Rookie
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Considering the price they're asking I'm surprised there's no free trial. And the players aren't even paid as professionals?

Maybe I'll go hunting for some more grey streams...

Yeah its way too expensive to attract new fans imo. And no, not paid as professionals, though of course they are basically "professional" in terms of fitness levels etc.

Back