Another US mass shooting

andrewmillman

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So was this Colorado shooting racially targeting white people? 10 whites killed by the Syrian in Colorado.

I mean 6 of 8 victims being Asian in the other shooting = racial targeting of Asians so clearly this is even more targeted.

So was this Colorado shooting racially targeting white people? 10 whites killed by the Syrian in Colorado.

I mean 6 of 8 victims being Asian in the other shooting = racial targeting of Asians so clearly this is even more targeted.
Quite possibly it is.

But the problem is this - why can mentally screwed up people get access to such deadly weapons when the only "weapon" they should be able to access is a ****ing cap gun?

This sums it up neatly:

At the end of the day, the chances of someone like Cruz being shot while doing grocery shopping is ridiculously small. However, if voting rights are expanded, the chances of him never serving again are astronomical.

Basically, to a Republican, votes are infinitely more dangerous than guns. This is why they are pushing to control votes so much.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Just switched over to MSNBC. It's being covered there.
Updated 3 hours ago

4 hours ago

3 hours ago

2 hours ago

Etc etc

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Best post you've ever made. Regarding Tay, how about you try being a gentleman? Like me, the great FK.

White knighting, mate? Tsk tsk, thought you disapproved of that kind of thing.

Empathy FK
Gracious FK

Gentleman FK

Truly a man for all seasons (over varying days of the week) :tearsofjoy:

1616626782383.jpeg

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Updated 3 hours ago

4 hours ago

3 hours ago

2 hours ago

Etc etc

CoMpLeTeLy DiSapPeArEd FrOm MSM!!!11

Right quotemokc?

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
White knighting, mate? Tsk tsk, thought you disapproved of that kind of thing.

Empathy FK
Gracious FK

Gentleman FK

Truly a man for all seasons (over varying days of the week) :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 1085310
Hehe I love that pic, but to be clear, you understand that some of my posts are bit cheeky/sarcastic?

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Cruz's statements since the shooting are just so Brazen.

Something like
"every time this happens, we have the same thing about gun laws that won't solve the problem."

Never, ever does he consider even trying those things to see if they might improve things. But the reality is that while there are far too many gun massacres in the USA, they're actually (data-wise) quite rare and varied and usually multi-factorial. So it's always easy to blame one of the factors and overlook the common factor - Assault rifles.

The GOP have perfected obfuscation when it comes to gun control.

Cruz's statements since the shooting are just so Brazen.

Something like
"every time this happens, we have the same thing about gun laws that won't solve the problem."

Never, ever does he consider even trying those things to see if they might improve things. But the reality is that while there are far too many gun massacres in the USA, they're actually (data-wise) quite rare and varied and usually multi-factorial. So it's always easy to blame one of the factors and overlook the common factor - Assault rifles.

The GOP have perfected obfuscation when it comes to gun control.

One of them started rambling about drink driving and asked if they should also be trying drastic things to curb that.

YES YOU SHOULD BE.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
The DNC has all 3 houses, but it's still Republicans fault that guns exist in the US 😂 reminds me of Obama's first 2 years...

"I'm totally gonna introduce gun restrictions, please, trust me.."

Then only pretends to attempt to do so after losing the senate 2 years later.

Nobody can introduce workable guns laws without a change in the Constitution. What needs to happen is for the government to be given the power to infringe upon the right to bear arms. Without that change, any new gun laws are weak and ineffective. Nobody in Congress has the guts to write the bill and put it before the house for a vote, or even to suggest doing such a thing - even if the bill is voted down nobody wants to be the one to try.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nobody can introduce workable guns laws without a change in the Constitution. What needs to happen is for the government to be given the power to infringe upon the right to bear arms. Without that change, any new gun laws are weak and ineffective. Nobody in Congress has the guts to write the bill and put it before the house for a vote, or even to suggest doing such a thing - even if the bill is voted down nobody wants to be the one to try.
They can make at least small changes. For example, fully automatic weapons are banned now in the US (with one exemption from memory, a crappy 1980s gun that has never been used in a mass shooting).

It would be incredibly difficult to bring about Australian style gun control, but let's see if Biden even makes an effort, eg banning bump stocks. He won't do s**t, and has no desire to do s**t. If he loses the senate in 2 years, watch him suddenly pretend to make efforts to curb gun laws, as Obama did post losing the senate.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

There's plenty of room in the constitution for additional regulations on gun ownership. It does say "well regulated" and many states have stricter gun laws than others. The Federal Government could simply introduce those stricter regimes to all states.

It would stop guns pouring from Indiana into Chicago, or from Nevada into LA, for the most obvious examples. The state Govts of Nevada and Indiana take the money from the guns sold then have the gall to complain about crimes in those cities committed with guns from their own states.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
There's plenty of room in the constitution for additional regulations on gun ownership. It does say "well regulated" and many states have stricter gun laws than others. The Federal Government could simply introduce those stricter regimes to all states.

It would stop guns pouring from Indiana into Chicago, or from Nevada into LA, for the most obvious examples. The state Govts of Nevada and Indiana take the money from the guns sold then have the gall to complain about crimes in those cities committed with guns from their own states.

Not really. The courts are interpreting the clause in a stricter sense in recent years (since about 2010). They have overturned bans and restrictions on handguns in several states as being unconstitutional. They don't read the clause as the "well regulated" bit modifying or limiting the "right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" bit. They see the latter part as capable of being read and interpreted as standalone, It was a 5-4 decision on a couple of key points, but that is now precedent and must be followed. It is up to the Congress to change the wording of the clause.

The "well regulated" argument has been tried, and has failed.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol so when there's a Republican POTUS we're all like "every shooting is on them!" but when there's a Dem POTUS it's all like "well it's an impossible problem to fix".

A border wall, better immigrant vetting, and less bombs dropped in the Middle East would stop many mass killings, but let's not go ahead and suggest sensible solutions now! We already had a guy who tried that tactic. Syrian mass shooters in dark blue cities don't count.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Lol so when there's a Republican POTUS we're all like "every shooting is on them!" but when there's a Dem POTUS it's all like "well it's an impossible problem to fix".

A border wall, better immigrant vetting, and less bombs dropped in the Middle East would stop many mass killings, but let's not go ahead and suggest sensible solutions now! We already had a guy who tried that tactic. Syrian mass shooters in dark blue cities don't count.

Eh? Don't recall too many having a crack at Trump specifically about it?

Criticism was more directed at congress, as it should be.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I posted this in another forum but it would seem germane to this thread.

The USA murder rate is well documented as being around 4 - 5x that of Australia, the incarceration rate is also 5x ours (land of the free!) and as I said longevity of Australian males is about 5 years longer. Makes it easy to remember these disturbing facts - rule of 5's, it means I can trot them out easily to my American friends during an argument. Certainly makes me pleased to be an Aussie especially as I move into old age, an extra 5 years sound pretty good to me.

The homicide rate is 0.89 per 100,000 here and in the US it is 4.89 per 100,000 leading to total yearly numbers of 222 murders here and 16,214 yearly in the US. These are 2018 figures.

Homicides due to guns in the US in 2018 - 13,958. If you remove those from the 16,214 total murder rate you are left with 2256 deaths from non gun homicide which is about x10 our rate, now it's in the ball park with our homicide rate given the US has about 13x the population. So I am pretty confident the 5x murder rate is basically due to the large number of poorly controlled guns. More guns, more dead.

Guns violence is the second commonest cause of death in Children in the US

Gun violence is even worse when you consider homicides only make up about 35% of gun related deaths. About 50% are suicides.

I wonder how much the reduction in US life expectancy is due to gun deaths, though it's a complex, multifactorial issue and I don't have the stats to work it out.

Back