Another US mass shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

Theoretical physics isnt inventing

What? Where do you think electricity, radios, microwaves, lasers, nuclear fission, quantum computing, knowledge of the electron, proton, quark, atoms etc come from?

Without theoretical physics, the thing you're using to read this message wouldn't exist.

Our population was a fraction or the USSR but our inventions would match or beat for usefulness.

The Hills Hoist isn't quite on the same level as the AK-47 or Sputnik (i.e. satellites).

Category:Soviet inventions - Wikipedia

Science and technology in the Soviet Union - Wikipedia

Soviet Russia had a population of half that of the USA, had just endured 3 years of brutal scorched earth war with Germany costing 10's of millions of lives, and were mostly living an agrarian pre-industrial society 10 years prior to the war (pre Marxism).

They still managed to be the second country to develop nukes, and the first to put a satellite and a man in space (despite the Americans benefitting from European war refugees like Albert Einstein or German scientists such as Von Braun abducted during Operation Paperclip.

And thats just in the sciences, let alone the Arts. There have been plenty of Russian physicists, artists, musicians, biologists, chemists etc.

This isn't an endorsement of Communism mind you. I'm just not seeing how creativeness can be correlated with 'freedom'.

Russia stole the nuke tech from the Yanks.

Ask yourself, in your daily life how many Russian made inventions do you use? Car, mobile phone, electricity, air travel, the list goes on and on.

It is an interesting take on creativity on freedom or oppression. Significant components of American music came from oppression (though not political ideologies as you have expanded upon).

Music is a great example IMO, despite being suppressed they were able to express themselves via music despite opposition and ultimately win. If the USSR did not like what you were up to, its was off to the Gulag.

Speak to older Russians who moved to Oz, its light years apart. You can generally spot them when they are out, they party hard and enjoy themsleves cos when you grew up in a system where a knock on the door could take it all away, you learn to appreciate life.

Nine dead, including gunman, in shooting at a San Jose rail yard

Eight people were killed when a man opened fire Wednesday morning at a Valley Transportation Authority light-rail maintenance yard in San Jose.
The suspect is also dead, Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Russell Davis said during a news conference. He said he would “not go into details about cause of death at this point.” Authorities have not publicly identified the shooter but said he was a VTA employee.

One official said the gunman apparently set his home on fire before going to the rail-yard facility and opening fire. Authorities believe there may be explosive devices at the VTA site; the sheriff’s office bomb squad remains on scene “trying to clear out every room and every crevice,” Davis said.

Nine dead, including gunman, in shooting at a San Jose rail yard

Eight people were killed when a man opened fire Wednesday morning at a Valley Transportation Authority light-rail maintenance yard in San Jose.
The suspect is also dead, Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Russell Davis said during a news conference. He said he would “not go into details about cause of death at this point.” Authorities have not publicly identified the shooter but said he was a VTA employee.

One official said the gunman apparently set his home on fire before going to the rail-yard facility and opening fire. Authorities believe there may be explosive devices at the VTA site; the sheriff’s office bomb squad remains on scene “trying to clear out every room and every crevice,” Davis said.
Thank goodness the second amendment allows Americans to have guns to defend themselves from such attacks.

Thank goodness the second amendment allows Americans to have guns to defend themselves from such attacks.
You need a permit to conceal carry in San Jose, apparently it's quite difficult to acquire one. So you're in that tricky circumstance where the guns are out there and criminals could be holding them - but if you're law abiding you have hoops to jump through in order to defend yourself from someone breaking the law.

We don't hear too many stories of mass shootings in areas where people can open carry firearms and there is a reason for that. It's a scary, wild wild west reason though.

We don't hear too many stories of mass shootings in areas where people can open carry firearms

States in the USA where open carry of Handguns is legal (Green allowed, Yellow with a permit, Red prohibited):

1622069032761.png

States where open carry of rifles and other long arms is perfectly legal:

1622069081399.png

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we hear plenty of stories of mass shootings in places where open carry is permissible.

You need a permit to conceal carry in San Jose, apparently it's quite difficult to acquire one. So you're in that tricky circumstance where the guns are out there and criminals could be holding them - but if you're law abiding you have hoops to jump through in order to defend yourself from someone breaking the law.

We don't hear too many stories of mass shootings in areas where people can open carry firearms and there is a reason for that. It's a scary, wild wild west reason though.
It is indeed a batpoop reason trotted out by those card carrying NRA members every time which is just lunacy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

States in the USA where open carry of Handguns is legal (Green allowed, Yellow with a permit, Red prohibited):

View attachment 1138138

States where open carry of rifles and other long arms is perfectly legal:

View attachment 1138139

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we hear plenty of stories of mass shootings in places where open carry is permissible.
There have been 178 so far this year, the ones that have gained media attention are;
San Jose shooting (restricted)
Colorado shooting (open)
Indianapolis fedex shooting (restricted)
South Carolina shooting (open)
Orange California shooting (restricted)
Bolder Colorado shooting (open)
Atlanta spa shootings (restricted, need a license to carry)
Buffalo Clinic shooting (restricted)
Sunrise Florida shooting (restricted)
Oklahoma shooting (restricted, need a license to carry)

If we overlook how horrendous it is that there are eleven high profile shootings alone, let alone the other 167 - I think your point checks out and I was wrong.

7 of 11 in restricted gun jurisdictions. Not to mention all the gang cases that the media swipe off their desks.

Yep, I was wrong.

*I went back and checked on Oklahoma and Georgia which both require a license.

Yep, I was wrong.

Allowing people to openly (or concealed) carry firearms lawfully, doesn't do anything to restrict mass shootings; it just increases the chances that when someone gets pissed off, they're going to have a gun on their person (instead of having to drive home and get it, and hopefully cool down on the way), and also mean that it becomes a hell of a lot easier to carry your guns to the site of your intended massacre.

Even if we accept the 'good guy with the gun' argument, by the time the good guy with the gun can do anything, a dozen or so people have been killed by the bad guy with the gun.

Should Australia loosen up the current gun laws?

Allowing people to openly (or concealed) carry firearms lawfully, doesn't do anything to restrict mass shootings; it just increases the chances that when someone gets pissed off, they're going to have a gun on their person (instead of having to drive home and get it, and hopefully cool down on the way), and also mean that it becomes a hell of a lot easier to carry your guns to the site of your intended massacre.

Even if we accept the 'good guy with the gun' argument, by the time the good guy with the gun can do anything, a dozen or so people have been killed by the bad guy with the gun.
I agree with the premise, I'm a big fan of how our own gun laws operate, but if the stats people quote about defensive use of firearms preventing crime are in anyway accurate then it goes some way to mitigating (read: leveling the playing field) the imbalance there already is with widespread firearms out there in a culture that won't relinquish them.

And a dozen people shot before the "good guy with a gun" hyperbole is over the top. There have only (horrible word) been five shootings in the USA so far this year where 12 people or more have been shot. Far greater numbers (again, horrible stats) ended by the good guys with a gun before then.

It's bad enough without the hyperbole.

Should Australia loosen up the current gun laws?
Nope, we already have very lax firearm laws here. Anyone who isn't a convicted criminal, violent history or mentally unwell can get a firearm here.

We have a different culture when it comes to being slighted here, we also have better mental health services and triggers that will disarm someone if they present as either violent, mentally unwell or otherwise threatening.

There are so, so many guns in the Australian community. People without an appreciation for it would be shocked to see the map on the police computer for homes where they are kept.

The USA has 8x the number of average guns per person but way more shootings, so our system works better.

And a dozen people shot before the "good guy with a gun" hyperbole is over the top. There have only (horrible word) been five shootings in the USA so far this year where 12 people or more have been shot. Far greater numbers (again, horrible stats) ended by the good guys with a gun before then.

Find 'far greater than' 5 mass shootings ended by a civilian with a firearm before multiple casualties from this year please.

Find 'far greater than' 5 mass shootings ended by a civilian with a firearm before multiple casualties from this year please.
For the purpose of balance I'll use your figure of 12 shot as the "multiple casualties" base line, or should we adjust that number - which was the point of my post?

For the purpose of balance I'll use your figure of 12 shot as the "multiple casualties" base line, or should we adjust that number - which was the point of my post?

Significantly more than 5 times an armed civilian has stopped a mass shooting before hitting the 12 victim mark this year.

12 dead is a large number by the way. I could probably shoot and kill around half a dozen people with a pistol before an armed bystander nearby could get some rounds downrange my way in return, accounting for nothing other than the several seconds reaction and draw time from a competent shooter.

Which is just an absurd thing to say in the context of 'going shopping on a Sunday with my kids'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back