Another VFA/VFL club bites the dust.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would they? As already said they're doing fine in that comp. I can't even see them agreeing to be pushed to a lesser comp.
They may not have a choice. If the competition itself is gone, they going to go somewhere!!!

If the VFL was dissolved as a comp and the AFL established a reserve grade comp for AFL clubs, the question you need to think about is what do Port Melbourne do then as a football club ?
They want to play football so simply they will find a new competition to play in. It is not rocket science to work out. They are a stand alone club. Not a reserve team for AFL Vic club.

Last edited:
You do not sound interested in anything of thinking for yourself. Sounds more like muckraking of two other people with wires crossed that they have differing views. I agreed to disagree. It is other person disputing opinions I hold. I have an opinion. Has been expressed. It is different. Deal with it.
Well no, you got on a forum, said someone's factual account was wrong, then justified it with you think for yourself. You sound like an anti vaxxer "I have no idea about science. But science is wrong! Wake up sheeple"

If you don't like your opinion questioned, don't post.

They may not have a choice. If the competition itself is gone, they going to go somewhere!!!

If the VFL was dissolved as a comp and the AFL established a reserve grade comp for AFL clubs, the question you need to think about is what do Port Melbourne do? They want to play football so simply that will find a new competition to play in. They are a stand alone club. Not a reserve team for AFL Vic club.
Well first you'd need to justify why the afl would do that.

Well first you'd need to justify why the afl would do that.
I do not need to do anything. lol
fmd, it is mere speculation. I am not saying the AFL will do that. The may not or they may not.
It is called speculating on what might happen in the future. Justifying is not even needed.
Amused at the line of thinking that thinks in that way.

Last edited:
Question an opinion all you like. But telling me what you think I should do and how to think is laughable. Post all I like mate. Deal with it.
Well no, it's a generally acceptable thing to do. If you want to make claims of others facts as wrong, back it up.

Since you can't even justify your opinion it's fairly clear you don't think for yourself

I do not need to do anything. lol
fmd, it is mere speculation. I am not saying the AFL will do that. The may not or they may do.
It is called speculating on what might happen in the future. Justifying is not even needed.
Amused at the line of thinking that thinks in that way.
You're amused that in a discussion you're asked to justify something

Are you new to social interactions?

Well no, you got on a forum, said someone's factual account was wrong.

Your comprehension is amusing. Find where I said the word to someone else in context of this thread with the word they are "wrong"
Disagreeing with someone is not telling them they are wrong. Think your comprehension and perception is lacking here. Think you just do not understand the concept agreed to disagree.

Are you new to social interactions?
This is a forum. I am not social interacting with you in physical world. We are just typing words. Amusing if you think it is same as social interaction in real world together.
You do get that don't you? Don't think you really do. It is not like a normal social conversation where each person can talk in time with each other. On a forum I just respond to part relevant to what I am talking about. Vice versa too.

I personally would have much preferred the AFL to spend the money they are wasting in the GWS to build the state leagues to a heathy level so a clear path way is established.

The VFL SANFL WAFL and others are far more important to the stability of our game as opposed to a AFL funded organisation that purely exists in an attempt to raise TV revenue.

When the Giants inevitably fold I hope they don't make the same mistakes again and start spending the money where it will actually help the game grow.

Your comprehension is amusing. Find where I said the word to someone else in context of this thread with the word they are "wrong"
Disagreeing with someone is not telling them they are wrong. Think your comprehension and perception is lacking here. Think you just do not understand the concept agreed to disagree.
Oh dear god. You whinge about comprehension, then require the use of a specific word to show something
You've said you disagree with his opinion, and said there is something about his views that is off. They are both synonymous with saying he's wrong. You can't disagree with his opinion while simultaneously saying its "not wrong". You need to work on your English if you don't understand that.

Agree to disagree is similar to "no offense but" it's meaningless, and generally used by those who are not equipped to discussing the topic

It's funny that you'll spend post after post arguing about thinking for yourself, and disagreeing and what it means. But can't justify why you disagree. Just more evidence that you hold a view you can't justify. Maybe it's mabo. Or the vibe?

This is a forum. I am not social interacting with you in physical world. We are just typing words. Amusing if you think it is same as social interaction in real world together.
You do get that don't you? Don't think you really do. It is not like a normal social conversation where each person can talk in time with each other. On a forum I just respond to part relevant to what I am talking about. Vice versa too.
wow. So online isn't social now. You realise found are called "social media" right?
Social interaction is merely an exchange.
None of the above discounts what I've said. It's meaningless waffle like all your posts so far. You manage to post repeatedly while adding nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh dear god. You whinge about You need
You telling me what I need to do and whinging. So you are a dictator too. Amused at the mental knot you tie yourself in over such comprehension troubles you have and restriction of how you feel another person should think and behave.
"You need to" do that, this "you need justify" that, "you need", you should, blah blah blah.
Glad I am not in your monkey mind.

I am amused you think I need to justify an opinion. I don't. Expressing an opinion that been formed is just that. Expressing a view.
So post your opinion, and don't respond to further questions then. If you don't feel that justification is important then you're going to be useless in discussion

You telling me what I need to do and whinging. So you are a dictator too. Amused at the mental knot you tie yourself in over such comprehension troubles you have and restriction of how another you think and behave.
"You need to" do that, this "you need justify" that, "you need", you should, blah blah blah.
Glad I am not in your monkey mind.
Simply pointing out how forums work, if you want to spout garbage without being questioned maybe stick to a private Twitter account
Please cut the enlightened mind crap. The only mental not here is "I'll say what I want and won't have any justification for it"

You've had facts presented and have repeatedly given the equivalent of "nah" over and over

If you weren't a Carlton supporter I'd be sure you're actually heritier lamumba.

I personally would have much preferred the AFL to spend the money they are wasting in the GWS to build the state leagues to a heathy level so a clear path way is established.

When the Giants inevitably fold
Interesting view.
Might just think they are not wasting money there.
Not sure the future is as bleak as you make out.

I agree the GWS experiment will likely to pay dividends and become a success. The AFL womens comp will end up a giant white elephant that will suck the clubs and comp dry.

EFA.
Got your feelings on the matter.
I will post how I like all the same Tim.
You do not have to like it.
Please feel free to put me on ignore if you find it so upsetting.
Lol hurr durr dictator. Stop oppressing my free thoughts and changing them :drunk:

Least people know not to engage you now.

I agree the GWS experiment will likely to pay dividends and become a success. The AFL womens comp will end up a giant white elephant that will suck the clubs and comp dry.

Do not see that happening. Think the womens league will do just fine in niche period between Big Bash and AFL season starting.

The part where you link somehow Asian businesses and the decline of a sporting club.
Ok.
So, you have a small local club like Springvale, who might draw 500 to home games and a few hundred to the social club durning the week. Some of these people have local business and sponsor the club. As Spingvale changed in the 80s and 90s, and the population became predominantly poor Vietnamese who did not follow the VFA, the club fortunes took a massive hit. Quite a few players also left because of the financial situation and the club was close to fiolding.
Not sure how that is difficult to understand. It is actually what happened.
It is similar to what is happening to junior footy clubs around Nth Balwyn and Doncaster where half the locals are now Chinese and very few of their kids play footy, and even fewer get actively involved in junior clubs. Teams are merging.
Melbourne's suburbs are changing and it affects local footy. Ask anyone involved in a club in an area where Europeans are in the minority. Good for restaurant options but bad for footy,
AFL clubs like Bulldogs and Richmond are not affected because 99% of their players, suporter and sponsors are spread across Melbourne and elsewhere.

Kilysth was simply a VFA expansion experiment for a few years.
Unlike North Ballarat they did not hang around.
They were an outer suburban club joining the VFA.
Not a VFA club going backwards into suburban leagues which is the concern of traditional VFA clubs such as Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Sandringham, Preston, Coburg, Dandenong and Prahran as an example. Prahran club is gone. Dandenong gone. Preston identity gone, Coburg trying to re-establish the club after originally partnering with AFL club reserve programs. It is too late though. They lost all the long time community support connection of a real VFA club and a basket case now. Least clubs like Willy and Sandringham have kept their identity even if they partnered up with others. You still see their jumpers and grounds.
In it's healthy days of having a genuine following the VFA would have had over 20 clubs in two divisions. There were clubs like Geelong West, Box Hll Mustangs, Brunswick, Oakleigh, Waverley, Northcote, Camberwell, Sunshine, Yarraville and Mordiallic as you mentioned. The weaker clubs in second division going back to suburban leagues like Kilysth is no loss. But what happens to clubs like Preston and Frankston ? When the reserves got removed from AFL and merged into VSFL with VFA to become what we now call VFL it became a mess and lost so much club identities. Not just VFA clubs too. Lots of reserve teams are gone to. I once had a Carlton reserve team I could follow before our senior game. So in essence Northern Blues has cost both Preston and Carlton reserve identities. It is the worst of both worlds.
Casey Demons is just another example of costing us both a VFA club identity, although Springvale Scorpions was not a long time club like Preston Bullants that has been lost.
Only really Port Melbourne have survived as an old VFA club with identity in tact. They were a place for Sydney Swans reserves at one point, North too I think. They gone back to stand alone for some time now and not a moment too soon. They are still the Borough. Least one or two things have not totally been killed off. But where is it all going? Just a bloody mess the AFL made over 20 years ago and never cleaned it up. So many VFA clubs history all gone and curtain raisers to AFL games gone too. As I said, the worst of both worlds.
Great post. Change was inevitable, and in my mind if the alignments were done right originally, we would have something better now. Box Hill and Hawthorn has worked for Hawthorn because both teams were based in eastern suburbs and wore brown and gold. So Hawthorn has a reserves team, just that the play in Box Hill not as a curtain raiser. There are no Mustangs supporters left, but hundred of local families love the BH Hawks.

The GWS and the woman's league will both never make money and be carried by the league for a very long time.

GWS is a forced footy team in an are where they care less about Aussie rules than they do about French politics. If it survives it will be purely of revenue and revenue alone or will never be a financial success Regardless what twisted figures the AFL release.

The woman's league will survive but won't make money, after the initial push and spike in interest it will fall like every other woman's league world wide and again be AFL funded. The Afl have the money so it won't be an issue but those thinking it will add revenue have no idea.

I actually wish my team had nothing to do with it as we aren't that financially strong and I'd rather is get the men right before we venture out.

The GWS and the woman's league will both never make money and be carried by the league for a very long time.

GWS is a forced footy team in an are where they care less about Aussie rules than they do about French politics. If it survives it will be purely of revenue and revenue alone or will never be a financial success Regardless what twisted figures the AFL release.

The woman's league will survive but won't make money, after the initial push and spike in interest it will fall like every other woman's league world wide and again be AFL funded. The Afl have the money so it won't be an issue but those thinking it will add revenue have no idea.

I actually wish my team had nothing to do with it as we aren't that financially strong and I'd rather is get the men right before we venture out.
Whilst GWS and AFLW may never make monoy, they are both good for football.
They get more people involved in our game. The amount of girls playing footy in Victoria in 2017 will double the 2015 numbers. It is already a success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back