Ansett Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie_Roo

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone think that Denis Pagan is serious about resting the likes of Martyn, Carey, Stevens etc.. in the Ansett Cup - or should he play his best side??

I think he will play his best side, and maybe interchange his stars more often. After all we could do with the prize money..

I'm hoping that Pagan rests Carey, Stevens, Archer, Blakey, and Martyn. The break between the 2000 and 2001 seasons will be one month longer than usual, but with the injury problems that Carey, Archer and Martyn have had in 2000, I think it's worthwhile to give them an extra rest to keep them fresh for the real season. The other thing is that it will allow the likes of Lange, Watt, Rawlings, Rocca, McLaren, Sinclair, and our draftees the chance to show their stuff and push for a place in the round 1 side.

Who really cares about the Ansett Cup... NOT ME and I hope he rests them all... for the whole series... imagine a fresh Carey sitting back waiting for the real stuff...

and the added bonus of giving some young kids an opportunity...

The benefits of resting the older guys and making sure they are fit to give us a full season is more important than risking their seasons (and their careers by wear and tear) just to progress by maybe one extra match in the Ansett Cup.
Over the last few years I've been sick of seeing us use the same old squad plus a couple of dud fringe players, while all the other teams were giving their youngsters a go to help them develop.

------------------
Other bands play, Manowar KILL !!!!!!!!!

There aint been many "finds" in the Ansett Cup that have gone on with it anyway in reference to other clubs giving youngsters a go, but the rest on the bodies of our ageing warriors will do us no harm when the real stuff comes around.

Carey is always electric in the first few games of the Ansett Cup and if he can have a huge start to the season, it will be wonderful for us and wonderful for his 100-1 Brownlow chances.

Let's focus on a real flag and let the likes of Lange, Watt et al have a crack in key positions.

Originally posted by kymhodgemansmo:
There aint been many "finds" in the Ansett Cup that have gone on with it anyway in reference to other clubs giving youngsters a go,

Even with us, in recent years, the likes of Dhurrkay, Anderson, and Hay have done well in the pre-season and then promptly disappeared once the real stuff began.

But to be fair to our coaching staff, we've never had draft picks high enough, so we probably didn't have the kids that could take the next step. Meanwhile, the likes of Pickett and Harvey, both of whom were lower picks, were given one game in their debut season (the real season that is) before being thrown in for a full season afterwards.

The reason given that we use our top side in the Ansett Cup each year is that

1. we need the prizemoney
2. by winning we encourage people to become
members
3 winners play at the main stadium
losers practice at country venues

Thus there is a conflict as to what is best for the players and what is best for the Club?

I believe we have`nt given the younger players the chance to develop in this type of competition.

Players such as
Rawlings pick 15 in 1998
Watt pick 14 in 1997
Hewitt pick 23 in 1996
Welsh pick 17 in 1995
Cochrane pref pick preseason 1995

were all our first picks each of these years
but ended up frustated seconds players.

There is too much consistency in this to say we made the wrong choices each year!!!!!
It comes back to how they have been developed!

:confused

warrior

Agree, Warrior
The time has come to give these young blokes with 2 to 4 years experience the chance to swim or sink. In other words, we need to see if they are capable of being prime movers and playmakers without them living in the shadow of Carey, Martin etc.
Thats not to say we should devoid te Ansett Cup team of any experience, but the match committee should give these youngsters the opportunity to perform in senior roles rather than 5 minute stints off the bench.
It may fail, but I believe that this is the best way to speed up the development of Watts, Rawlings Etc

If its for the betterment of the senior boys then I can't argue.

But I reckon there's nothing like a night Grand Final. I just love the atmosphere & the build up. If our young team can get us through to the GF, definitely play the big boys then & reap the cash rewards.

If not, I just hope they're match-fit before our round one clash against Essendon.

Originally posted by 35eye:
But I reckon there's nothing like a night Grand Final. I just love the atmosphere & the build up. If our young team can get us through to the GF, definitely play the big boys then & reap the cash rewards.

Night Grand Finals don't do it for me. It's a nice night and all (and who could forget the "Micky Is A Legend" chant at the end of the North-Crows night Grand Final
smile.gif
), but in the end, it doesn't mean anything.

If we play the kids and they make it to the night Grand Final, then they should be ones to play. If you stick in the senior players and dump the kids who got you there, you're just telling those kids, "ah, thanks for getting us there, but we don't believe you're good enough to finish the job".

Originally posted by Shinboners:

If we play the kids and they make it to the night Grand Final, then they should be ones to play. If you stick in the senior players and dump the kids who got you there, you're just telling those kids, "ah, thanks for getting us there, but we don't believe you're good enough to finish the job".

Exactly right Shinners.

I reckon that just illustrates that the concept of the Ansett Cup raises more issues than it answers.

It does help bring in more money, and it does promote the game early in the season which brings in membership dollars. It also gives the younger guys a go sometimes

BUT

It lengthens the season when the extra weeks would be better used in evening up the draw so each teams plays each other team twice, it's a way for a player to get injured in what is basically a match that counts for little, it's a glorified practice series that not all clubs take seriously, and as Shinners pointed out it can raise more questions than it answers when it comes to team selections and balance.

I'm not necessarily saying there shouldn't be a pre-season competition because I can't present any real alternatives, but in the end sum of things I don't see anybody missing it if it disappears.

------------------
Other bands play, Manowar KILL !!!!!!!!!

Nah don't get me wrong, I agree that if North makes it through to the night GF then that exact line up would *deserve* to play.

But I doubt the boys mentioned are going to miss the entire series. If we make it through the the semi then I suspect the holiday would be over for the big boys.

Should they make it that far, the club would definately field their best possible team for the final with the prize money in mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome aboard Daphne!

I note that it is your first post.

However I assume you are the same Daphne that made several posts on the main board over the past couple of days.

I am glad we support the same team as although I`m the warrior I certainly don`t wish to joust with you.I`d probably prefer to fight Iron Mike?

warrior
smile.gif

Thanks Warrior, but being on the same team doesnt mean that I wont have something to say to you if upset me, staying positive is all we need to do and not let any other team think that they are bigger than we are, because they are not and never will be, there were what? 13 or 14 teams below us last year and 15 the year before 14 the year before that but when you read all the posts in here you would think that as a club we would have to apologize for even existing, I get sick of it at the football, and I get sick of hearing it on the media and anywhere else that someone decides to take a shot at us, so I had a browse through this forum and I have to tell you the stuff said about us really pissed me off, now I will tread water till I work them all out and then I will have more to say. I'm not planning to be a big noter but I am planning to take note and I hope that Michele can keep visiting as well, I'm no different at the football I will go out of my to let them know if they open their mouths and that goes for the Kangaroo supporters if they keep bagging our players, so if you sit near me and you bag a player unjustifiably or you become racial then you will know it is me you are sitting next to, other than that we should get along fine. Thanks once again for the welcome

Daphne,

I understand were you are coming from, but playing footy is all about winning premierships. I actually don't mind everyone bagging the crap out of us, because I believe our coaching staff uses it to the best of their advantage ie: the us verses them concept to motivate the players. I have been fortunate enough to see us in 4 GF (78, 96,98,99) two winning of course, which is a lot more than a lot of other posters on this site. So, as long as the media keep bagging us, I say keep it coming, if we can use it to our advantage and add a few more cups to our cabinet, I'd be more than happy.

Rooboy I have seen them in 75,77, 78, 96, 98 99 and I believe we will win more of them, but as far as the rest of it goes enough is enough. I have been through that stuff of while they are talking about us it can only be good for us etc.....

Originally posted by 35eye:
I didn't know Daphne was a flower.

What are you CIK, some..... FLOWER LOVER or something?

Yes, Daphne is a flower and so is a Rose.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

Daphne aka Rose aka *******

Why don't you go and stick it up to them on the bummers forum?

------------------
If you see me getting mighty,
If you see me getting high,
Knock me down,
I'm not bigger than Life

R.H.C.P.

Bryon Pickett has done alright since his inclusion in the 1998 Ansett Cup series. I must say I agree with Daphne. I will also get stuck into any body at the football who uses insulting language or racial abuse toward our players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back