Ansett rd1 - ouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2000
melbourne (saints)
i was hoping to see a hint of improvement unfortunately what i saw was just more of the same. i know it is only only the first practice game of the year, mid february, we did have a few injuries but it was still unsettling to see the same ineffective way that our team moves the ball. our improvement may take a little longer than we have all hoped for. when the side has changed as much as ours has we needed the same blokes to play consecutive games together to get any sort of team cohesion, our injury situation will make this scenario extremely unlikely. the same blokes came to the fore again friday night with loewe, burke, thompson and beetham being our best players. beetham will continue to get better and develop into a top line footballer, he is the goods. voss and capuano were servicable players and i thought hamill was terrific when the ball was in his vicinity. (why the media bagged hamills game is beyond me, he did plenty to suggest he will have a great year). blight only has a few weeks to try to get spider up to scratch and get the boys to play to a game plan. the good news is we cant get much worse. harvey , gehrig, lawrence will strengthen the side, reiwoldt and kossi will be tried and hopefully give the side some youthful excuberance. moyle did enough friday night and davis chipped in with a couple of nice goals. we need our second tier players to stand up immediately and we need spider to gain some confidence.

Guys - you have many changes which need to 'gel' together. By all accounts you took great strides on friday night - as you played well at the end

Remember Malcolm can get you a flag with only 14 wins, so you have till round 9 to get it together

The most disturbing thing about Friday night was the ease with which Collingwood got thier goals, we went into 50 more times in the game, but with indiscriminate long bombs, to a Ruckman / FF who didn't even bother putting his arms up half the time. Collingwood on the other hand continually found guys on the lead in space, I can't remember one occasion where we did that.
Once again too many passengers, too much left to too few.
Hopefully Blight had a good look and will identify the issues, and give the culprits a good serve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back