Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

“As a result, Australian households relinquished all of the income gains from the Covid-19 pandemic’s stimulus measures.

Australia’s real per capita household disposable income has fallen back to levels observed in early 2019, which were only a little above 2010:”

From your article…

The stimulus was from the previous government …. How would you best deal with this stimulus?
Would you …

Increase interest rates?
Decrease interest rates?
Decrease taxes?
Increase taxes?
Add more stimulus?
Cut immigration?
Increase immigration?
Increase the minimum wage?
Decrease the minimum wage?

I’m interested what you’d expect the Goverment to do to decrease the biggest increase in inflation in decades… after the largest economic stimulus in the history of the nation…
Increase taxes on higher income groups, reduce subsidies that drive residential property investment,

Thought you were asking what is difficult about fixing the ndis.
no I'm asking why people think Labor is fixing it

because people on it wouldn't agree with the idea

they are in the media constantly talking about saving money and detecting fraud, which again lets stigmatize people on welfare (the opposite of what the royal commission said to do) lets make it like people with disabilities are pretending etc

they're absolute campaigners on NDIS they aren't fixing it they're making it worse

no I'm asking why people think Labor is fixing it

because people on it wouldn't agree with the idea

they are in the media constantly talking about saving money and detecting fraud, which again lets stigmatize people on welfare (the opposite of what the royal commission said to do) lets make it like people with disabilities are pretending etc

they're absolute campaigners on NDIS they aren't fixing it they're making it worse
They are trying to unwind some of the excessive need for repeat reports for people with static disability.
There are also a lot of dodgy care providers and support coordinators too. Standards of care are very uneven. With one recent client in hospital for 3 months we saw a range of carers from the fantastic highly engaged looking for the client to express needs to the ones who just sat on phones and minimally engaged.

It is a complex shitshow and media reporting is likely to completely fail to understand it and go for unhelpful soundbites.

They are trying to unwind some of the excessive need for repeat reports for people with static disability.
There are also a lot of dodgy care providers and support coordinators too. Standards of care are very uneven. With one recent client in hospital for 3 months we saw a range of carers from the fantastic highly engaged looking for the client to express needs to the ones who just sat on phones and minimally engaged.

It is a complex shitshow and media reporting is likely to completely fail to understand it and go for unhelpful soundbites.
Bill Shorten certainly provides plenty of those

But I'd also say our care model in this country is ****ed.
The issue isn't NDIS or the fact we have Aged Care

It's the fact we have for profit care, which doesn't benefit the person being cared for or the person doing the caring most of the time.

They won't fix that so what they will do is punish people instead and say they are fixing the issue

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

It's the fact we have for profit care, which doesn't benefit the person being cared for or the person doing the caring most of the time.

They won't fix that so what they will do is punish people instead and say they are fixing the issue
Agree 100% with the bolded part.

They seem to have largely disappeared now but I remember at the start of the NDIS there were small offices literally everywhere providing administrative services. This rings huge alarm bells with how much money is being used on administration rather than actual care.

Agree 100% with the bolded part.

They seem to have largely disappeared now but I remember at the start of the NDIS there were small offices literally everywhere providing administrative services. This rings huge alarm bells with how much money is being used on administration rather than actual care.
our entire welfare system is currently designed to largely shift wealth to private interests

the childcare subsidy goes into the pockets of the center, not the staff or the parents

a lot of NDIS money goes to providers not the carers or the person receiving NDIS

jobseeker, more money goes to the agencies than the people on welfare, literally billions of dollars that could instead be used to just lift the welfare recipients out of poverty

of course there will be people looking to rort the system, there always will be, but generally the supposed measures taken to stop this cost more than the money that would have been rorted and are more likely to hurt people doing the right thing rather than those rorting

but all discussions around welfare seem to revolve around the moral failings of people on it

the people who need the support cop all the scrutiny and not the support

I think back to pre election when the ALP went very quiet on welfare (after spending a lot of time prior to the election cycle saying the government wasn't spending enough on people in need)

and when questioned they said you'll be pleasantly surprised once we are elected

then since being elected all they have done is talk about how they can save on welfare spending

they cut hundreds of millions in call center contracts at Services Australia, this led to months and months of issue with people being unable to get through where Services Australia lied about it in front of senate enquiry before finally admitting they can't answer the phones

the end result was Labor crowing about how they were investing less into fixing the problem than they cut out of the budget to create the problem

this is now bipartisan behaviour where they announce fixes that don't fix the issue and then pat themselves on the back and say job done

people can point to all the good things they have seen from Labor in their term so far all they want, but if the average person doesn't see or benefit from it, it may as well not have happened

Labor are going backwards fast in the polls in part because their reforms are not making things better for people on the ground

the share of votes that are rusted on is dropping for both majors, they're reaching the point where they can't just keep the status quo running and get elected by rusted ons and few swing voters

we're like to have a Labor minority government next election which I don't have a problem with because I don't subscribe to the rhetoric that minority governments get nothing done

the problem for labor though is that the current issues push people way from the center, people don't like the status quo if it doesn't benefit them

its just a question of which way they go

The Punter

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
The issue with the attack on the entirety of the Stage 3 Tax Cuts is the idea that someone earning $120,000 per annum is treated the same as someone who earns $200,000 per annum. Perhaps there is a middle way for the Albanese Government to navigate through this, although they don't seem that interested in pursuing that path and their behaviour on the High Court decision indicates they are now concerned with potential political problems.

No. Limit the gift of Negative gearing, especially on old properties. Some basic wealth taxes. Less income tax is needed to boost productivity & help young people save for a house & superannuation.
I did say higher income groups as far as income tax goes. I would need to see how the wealth tax is designed and how it interacts with income taxes before jumping to support or not.
And I should have been more clear on residential investors - I am really aiming the gun on negative gearing (thats the type of subsidy I meant),

The issue with the attack on the entirety of the Stage 3 Tax Cuts is the idea that someone earning $120,000 per annum is treated the same as someone who earns $200,000 per annum. Perhaps there is a middle way for the Albanese Government to navigate through this, although they don't seem that interested in pursuing that path and their behaviour on the High Court decision indicates they are now concerned with potential political problems.
I think I had previously posted my middle way
- reduce the 32.5% rate to 30%
keep the next bracket intact and existing (37.5)
those in the 37.5% still get a tax cut, it just isn't the insane largesse that it becomes at the 200k end (the amount tops out at the start of the 37.5% bracket)

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
our entire welfare system is currently designed to largely shift wealth to private interests

the childcare subsidy goes into the pockets of the center, not the staff or the parents

a lot of NDIS money goes to providers not the carers or the person receiving NDIS

jobseeker, more money goes to the agencies than the people on welfare, literally billions of dollars that could instead be used to just lift the welfare recipients out of poverty

of course there will be people looking to rort the system, there always will be, but generally the supposed measures taken to stop this cost more than the money that would have been rorted and are more likely to hurt people doing the right thing rather than those rorting

but all discussions around welfare seem to revolve around the moral failings of people on it

the people who need the support cop all the scrutiny and not the support

I think back to pre election when the ALP went very quiet on welfare (after spending a lot of time prior to the election cycle saying the government wasn't spending enough on people in need)

and when questioned they said you'll be pleasantly surprised once we are elected

then since being elected all they have done is talk about how they can save on welfare spending

they cut hundreds of millions in call center contracts at Services Australia, this led to months and months of issue with people being unable to get through where Services Australia lied about it in front of senate enquiry before finally admitting they can't answer the phones

the end result was Labor crowing about how they were investing less into fixing the problem than they cut out of the budget to create the problem

this is now bipartisan behaviour where they announce fixes that don't fix the issue and then pat themselves on the back and say job done

people can point to all the good things they have seen from Labor in their term so far all they want, but if the average person doesn't see or benefit from it, it may as well not have happened

Labor are going backwards fast in the polls in part because their reforms are not making things better for people on the ground

the share of votes that are rusted on is dropping for both majors, they're reaching the point where they can't just keep the status quo running and get elected by rusted ons and few swing voters

we're like to have a Labor minority government next election which I don't have a problem with because I don't subscribe to the rhetoric that minority governments get nothing done

the problem for labor though is that the current issues push people way from the center, people don't like the status quo if it doesn't benefit them

its just a question of which way they go

Norway recently closed the private child care facilities …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norway recently closed the private child care facilities …
norway looked at the benefit to the future economy of having fully funded public childcare

not only do they get more parents in the workforce but they get better education outcomes for the kids, not to mention the benefits of stable finances in homes

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Imagine the media running stories on unemployment dropping and wages rising???? Which is what has happened under ALBO…

No they’ll wait for the unemployment level to start rising to cover that.

The interest rate rises are not to slow inflation but to increase unemployment and stifle wage increases.

Last edited:

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
norway looked at the benefit to the future economy of having fully funded public childcare

not only do they get more parents in the workforce but they get better education outcomes for the kids, not to mention the benefits of stable finances in homes
But the private sector is so much more efficient …

Norway should privatise its natural resources… 😂😂😂

Carn The Berries

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nonsense. The Voice had overall national support when the referendum was announced, including in WA (over 60 per cent at one point) and SA. It died the day Dutton politicised the welfare of Indigenous Australians for political capital. Don’t try and put the cruelty on to anyone else. He’s a campaigner.
So none of the blame lies with those who originally said they supported it, and then changed their minds?

Yes, the lack of bi-partisanship hurt the result. But it's not like the LNP were in the booths marking ballot papers for people. There's some personal responsibility here too.

Carn The Berries

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
"On day one, our Prime Minister, as leader of our country, should have come out and strongly condemned Hamas and backed Israel's right to defend itself. He's now scrambling to look like he's taking a position"

Smack bang on the money.

Not hard to work out what Airbussy Absenteese's agenda is here.
You're not seriously suggesting that Albanese hasn't shown enough support for Israel here, surely....

Carn The Berries

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
These are the only tangible ones people would give a stuff about at the moment and you can probably remove the NDIS from that anyway. People want to know what changes ALP have made that will benefit them directly. They don't care much if Fiji or the Solomon Islands are happier with us now if theyre struggling to keep the roof over their head.

The ALP need some tangible policies in the next 6 months or they will be looking down the barrel
Part of their "fixing" the NDIS is trying to push more the states to provide more funding for students with disabilities, so that the NDIS doesn't have to pick up as much of the tab... I nearly fell off my chair when I read that on the weekend.

So none of the blame lies with those who originally said they supported it, and then changed their minds?

Yes, the lack of bi-partisanship hurt the result. But it's not like the LNP were in the booths marking ballot papers for people. There's some personal responsibility here too.
the no campaign kicked off straight away, the yes campaign gave them months of a head start

so after it was announced the only people campaigning were the no campaign

of course that is going to cause some drop in the numbers, but it was still going to pass until the coalition endorsed the no campaign

the real drop in numbers began after the coalition officially supported no

the yes campaign was extremely bad, their strategy was s**t and they gave their opposition clean air for months

but even with all of that if the coalition had supported the yes campaign, that would most likely have been enough for it to get up

because you're telling close to 60% of the voters that their party agrees with the proposal

100% agree Gralin.
Labor needs a mandate to cancel all "for profit" NDIS agreements and bring the entire scheme into a Public Funding model.
Though I cant see that happening while Murdoch and the Filth (Libs) can run a scare campaign on any policy.
No private contractors.
The NDIS has been a cash cow providers and anyone involved financially and a devastating failure for those its meant to assist.

Part of their "fixing" the NDIS is trying to push more the states to provide more funding for students with disabilities, so that the NDIS doesn't have to pick up as much of the tab... I nearly fell off my chair when I read that on the weekend.
I suppose how much of it is a school function (example: provision of generic aides who help multiple different students) vs an NDIS function (personalised individual carer aide who doesn't help any other student).

Carn The Berries

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
I suppose how much of it is a school function (example: provision of generic aides who help multiple different students) vs an NDIS function (personalised individual carer aide who doesn't help any other student).
The context was sharing the cost so that the burden on the NDIS was reduced. The school function resources aren't something that would be covered by the NDIS anyway. There is specific funding already for students at different disability levels, which, among other things, is used for providing in-class support.

At present, there isn't really crossover between what a school gets funding for and what individuals get from the NDIS. What Bill Shorten was suggesting is that the states start putting in funding for things they haven't funded before (which would be specific to individual students).

the federal government is best placed to deal with funding shortfalls because they collect the majority of the income

but they cry poor and try and get the states to cover the bill

they say education isn't their problem, (except for private schools which they keep increasing funding for)

the ALP are currently try to prove they can be as s**t as the coalition and inflict poverty on people to have a budget surplus

the problem with this is that unlike the coalition the media wont pat them on the back and tell the public they are doing the right thing

so they are hurting their citizens for a prize that doesn't exist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back