Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
The Europeans rewrite their principles to suit themselves & expect the rest of the world to follow.
It's not like our lobbyists didn't stuff our commitments by diddling with the calculating figures. Patting ourselves on the back for not clearing land which was never going to be cleared. Can't exactly point the finger, can we?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
100% without China & Russia isnt a pipedream, its straight out dishonest.
Hmm.

China has a higher percentage of renewables in it's electricity generation mix than we do, and is going to push 200 giga watts of added solar and wind power just this year.

On the global list of green energy countries , they generally sit right next to us.

What would they need to do in your view, to justify us doing more.

Or is China just your favourite "but look over there" argument.

Here is a philosophical thought. If you believe in honesty, do you try to be as honest as you can, or do use the existence of dishonest people elsewhere to justify lying? If this is so, do you really believe in honesty or are you just farting in the wind.

How about we decide if renewables is the way to go for us, then do what we can do, and not keep using China as a reason to do less. Especially considering in many respects, it's already doing more than we are.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hmm.

China has a higher percentage of renewables in it's electricity generation mix than we do, and is going to push 200 giga watts of added solar and wind power just this year.

On the global list of green energy countries , they generally sit right next to us.

Here is a philosophical thought. If you believe in honesty, do you try to be as honest as you can, or do use the existence of dishonest people elsewhere to justify lying? If this is so, do you really believe in honesty or are you just farting in the wind.

How about we decide if renewables is the way to go for us, then do what we can do, and not keep using China as a reason to do less. Especially considering in many respects, it's already doing more than we are.

We need to do much more but you should stop reading CCP propaganda as organisations like Greenpeace are increasing calling out the CCPs climate lies and exposing their massive coal expansion.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Hmm.

You raising 'look over there' .... I'm pointing out the dishonest use of %s when we all know the numbers are rubbery (being kind).
Climate catastrophe, when ? .... +/- the number you first thought of, or Jatz, the number someone has led you to believe.

I'm not against renewables. I am against the half truths around the discussion.
See your use of 'electricity generation mix' as if that is relevant when Australia is despatching coal from our mix & gas if The Greens have their way in the immediate future.
I'm against mindless demolition of closing power stations, not against closing power stations because they are no longer economically viable. To ignore the lessons of Europe/Britain would be unforgivable.

We all know Palau has the highest emissions per head & that if they evacuated their island nation it would make zero difference to global warming. Misuse of numbers to take advantage of the naive & uncommitted.

Come clean.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
We need to do much more but you should stop reading CCP propaganda as organisations like Greenpeace are increasing calling out the CCPs climate lies and exposing their massive coal expansion.

Do you support all of Greenpeace's calls, or do you pick and choose the ones that suit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
For example?

Here's a few, there are many more

1659608123425.png

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
the legislation
which legislation are you referring to ?

We know that gas is a renewable in the EU but a fossil fuel here in Australia & that if you point out the inconsistency, you are a denier.

Seems Albo has played the the teals & the Greens off the break, his 43% is going to be legislated (as it should when you win an election), but everyones a winner with The Greens claiming the win, & the Teals claiming a win.

Everyones a winner now ...

Corporations are playing silly games as well.
I know of an automotive supplier in the USA which has been told by BMW that they need to be fully renewable to quote on future business.
a) There is only one electricity supplier where the factory is located.
b) Nuclear is not considered renewable by BMW's special ethics.
c) They can purchase carbon free electricity, but there is no such thing as buying " renewable without nuclear " from the supplier who have a lot of nuclear plants.
The punchline. The BMW factory they would like to supply is located in the same area, with the same electricity supplier.

So the BMW plant down the road is now being supplied out of Mexico, where they use carbon credit certificates as toilet paper.

Mick F

Mighty Snr
Dec 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not the shrewdest of men.

“We will not achieve net zero in the cafes, dinner parties and wine bars of our inner cities,”. They are irrelevant to delivering climate change action and net zero emissions. - S. Morrison Apr 20 2021

Inner city independents pass Climate Change Bill - Aug 4 2022

Last edited:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

They are not mutually exclusive though.

I mean, on the bullshit index Australia sits pretty high up there. Are China's lies worse than Australia's have been?

China has a lot of hydro, that's not China lying, they actually have a lot of hydro. It may not be all very smart hydro, but they have it.

China is trying to gild the lilly, but their energy needs are huge, so they still have a lot of coal, and more coming on stream, but this doesn't change the fact, without their renewables, they would be using way more coal than they are.

The rate renewables are coming on line is also rising, so their is the prospect of future coal flattening and then contracting.

But this argument misses the point again. If Australia has decided renewables are the way to go, why do China's lies matter to that decision?

China lying matters to climate change and global targets, but should it matter to our decisions.

And if China stops lying and starts doing more, does Russia then become the it boy? But what about Russia. But what about Indonesia, but what about.

Does every country have to go all in, and tell the truth before it's OK for us to do it.?

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
You raising 'look over there' .... I'm pointing out the dishonest use of %s when we all know the numbers are rubbery (being kind).
Climate catastrophe, when ? .... +/- the number you first thought of, or Jatz, the number someone has led you to believe.

I'm not against renewables. I am against the half truths around the discussion.
See your use of 'electricity generation mix' as if that is relevant when Australia is despatching coal from our mix & gas if The Greens have their way in the immediate future.
I'm against mindless demolition of closing power stations, not against closing power stations because they are no longer economically viable. To ignore the lessons of Europe/Britain would be unforgivable.

We all know Palau has the highest emissions per head & that if they evacuated their island nation it would make zero difference to global warming. Misuse of numbers to take advantage of the naive & uncommitted.

Come clean.
Name a power station closed for mindless reasons?

What is a mindless reason?

From what I am seeing, government policy over the last few years was to keep them open for mindless reasons, not close them.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
See what I said, not what you want me to have said:
'I'm against mindless demolition of closing power stations, not against closing power stations because they are no longer economically viable.'
You are against mindless demolition of power stations.

Has this happened, or is this a theoretical opposition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back