Anthony Albanese - How long?

How long for Albo?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They stuffed up the pandemic in a similar way to Trump.

Instead of getting on the front foot and tackling it, they did the exact opposite. Any action they took was either non-existent (quarantine), too late (vaccines) or they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to it (financial support).

Cost them big time.
No no no, he was busy bulldozering his way through the states obstructionism to get us the help we needed during the pandemic, that's what made him unpopular. If only we'd given him a second term he would've been able to show his softer side now that he's saved us forever from that crisis, but we were ungrateful fools.

If an entertainer does it, that's one thing. If you are the Environment Minister then that is another thing altogether. If you believe in numerology then you are anti-science and should not be in a role that determines our climate change policy.
Entertainer? Legendary songwriter thank you. ;)

I'm not sure I would take the leap you have in the bolded part either to be honest.

No no no, he was busy bulldozering his way through the states obstructionism to get us the help we needed during the pandemic, that's what made him unpopular. If only we'd given him a second term he would've been able to show his softer side now that he's saved us forever from that crisis, but we were ungrateful fools.
I sense a touch of sarcasm in your post. ;)

I loved that his nonsense was called out in the final days... 'Morrison men' are took quick to rush in a fix things, he says, yet the actual complaints are that he did bugger all when actually needed. Of course, he tried to 'reject the assertion'.

a) Labor is funded by unions and big business leaders have turned on the Libs calling for change evidenced by names like Chaney and Holmes turning teal.

and guess who is more powerful than any billionaire today????? superannuation.

It will happen in Oz and it has already happened in the US and UK. We just have to do it better!

FYI -I would be caught by wealth taxes and yet fully support them.

b) please explain how you shift the pilbara or a harbour side residence? shifting assets, avoiding income tax and avoiding consumption taxes becomes almost impossible with a full balance sheet disclosure and P/L movement.

c) the problem with all wealth taxes is they are established through envy politics. We have to establish one based on success rather than fear.

d) yes consumption taxes are needed and more effective than income taxes........unfortunately the electorate has been sold lies by governments and fear them.

Consumption tax is a regressive tax. Fix that & fine.

Maybe get reduce/eliminate handouts to big petroleum companies & other corporate bludgers.

Help small business.

Then why does this link state that the UK has the longest tax code in the world?

that's because the number of pages in the code is only the tip of the ice berg and ignores the main body. The main body includes other support including tax rulings and tax determinations.

We'll agree on the first point and disagree on the second then old mate. :thumbsu:
See what getting rid of the LNP does for the spirit of the SRP board?

A positive and uplifting effect almost immediately. :)

Last edited:
Consumption tax is a regressive tax. Fix that & fine.

Maybe get reduce/eliminate handouts to big petroleum companies & other corporate bludgers.

Help small business.

The electorate has been lied to when it comes to consumption taxes:

1) the concept that the consumer pays all the consumption tax is false. There are laws of economics that clearly demonstrate this
2) yes, minimum wages and social welfare need to be adjusted to ensure an equitable social outcome is achieved
3) yes, consumption taxes have to be phased in over time to avoid double taxing those who already paid crazy tax rates on their savings (50% income tax and then 25% consumption tax is too much)
4) let's focus on one thing rather than getting caught up in "it's not fair". I benefit from a failed poor Oz govt drowning in debt as I need university qualified baristas and bum wipers as I approach my senior years. I would prefer though we maintain a great society and we look at Norway, NZ and other nations as to their success with high consumption taxes.

The more I think about it the pandemic came at the worst possible time for the Libs. The unexpected win in 2019 turned up the hubris to 11 and they were almost incapable of doing anything without viewing it through a political lense.
Yep

And i mentioned before how the " quiet Australian " died during that 1st lockdown.
Now everyone saw how the govt operated, not just in a 3 sec soundbite on the nightly news.

That's when the gen publics anger started to simmer

Sky & Ultra RW types talking about moving further right! away from dabbling in 'woke' stuff!!!

Whats further right than Scumo, Potato head Abetz?

Fascism?

Well no. Whats further right is political oblivion!!!

Go for it. ;)

Trumpism which is basically fascism is the next step.

Begin trying to rig elections

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If an entertainer does it, that's one thing. If you are the Environment Minister then that is another thing altogether. If you believe in numerology then you are anti-science and should not be in a role that determines our climate change policy.

What if you’re an entertaining environmental minister?

a) Labor is funded by unions and big business leaders have turned on the Libs calling for change evidenced by names like Chaney and Holmes turning teal.

and guess who is more powerful than any billionaire today????? superannuation.

It will happen in Oz and it has already happened in the US and UK. We just have to do it better!

FYI -I would be caught by wealth taxes and yet fully support them.

b) please explain how you shift the pilbara or a harbour side residence? shifting assets, avoiding income tax and avoiding consumption taxes becomes almost impossible with a full balance sheet disclosure and P/L movement.

c) the problem with all wealth taxes is they are established through envy politics. We have to establish one based on success rather than fear.

d) yes consumption taxes are needed and more effective than income taxes........unfortunately the electorate has been sold lies by governments and fear them.

Believe me - I'm far from an expert in this field, but everything I've read about consumption tax points towards a fairer taxation system and getting big business & the ultra wealthy to actually pay tax.

Taxation reform is an important topic and deserves far more discussion ... spread the word! :thumbsu:

PS - I wasn't aware the UK & US had actually implemented wealth taxes? I know it's been floated, I didn't think it was actually in practice as yet? - Any info / links would be appreciated

Can you please explain how this is the case?

But that's not the question in this thread. It's how long Albanese will last as PM. I reckon he'll perform poorly at some point and get rolled before serving two full terms.
Just based on the tax gap estimates, the largest gap relates to small business (about $13bn), then individuals (about $8.5bn), GST which is likely to be weighted to small business/individuals ($5.4bn) and then large business (about $2.6bn).

While part of this weight of numbers, it's also reflective of the fact that the laws and focus on large business mean there is a lot less dodginess compared to the public perception.

The broader issue is the international tax system is broadly based on taxation where value is created (not where the customer is). Realistically absent a broad change to international tax (which there is some push to do so through the OECD BEPS program) the only way to tax these companies is higher VAT.

Trumpism which is basically fascism is the next step.

Begin trying to rig elections

Unlike the US, we have the AEC to be thankful for.

A totally biased Murdoch media dominance is the next best thing I guess.

Also thankfully most of us can think for ourselves, & the Teal (small L Liberals) who have bucked the Murdoch far RW Liberals.

I has at a guess that most of the vote was anti Scumo.

That's fine, he's gone, now to get the country back on track towards the reality of 21st century & away from the 1950's.

Decency has prevailed. The undisputed wish of Australians for years has been to see the planet cool, women and vulnerable kids protected, and corrupt politicians to be held accountable. The erudite Teals simply reflected the wishes of the people, and showed they cared and had integrity.

Morrison simply doesn’t get women - he failed to understand the genuine depth of dislike and disgust women felt for the way he disrespected them - “Not so much a tin ear as a wall of concrete.”

[Liberals should be ashamed they resorted to divisive, self centred ****holes like; Abbott, Morrison and now Dutton. As should Labor, with Latham.]

Last edited:
The electorate has been lied to when it comes to consumption taxes:

1) the concept that the consumer pays all the consumption tax is false. There are laws of economics that clearly demonstrate this
2) yes, minimum wages and social welfare need to be adjusted to ensure an equitable social outcome is achieved
3) yes, consumption taxes have to be phased in over time to avoid double taxing those who already paid crazy tax rates on their savings (50% income tax and then 25% consumption tax is too much)
4) let's focus on one thing rather than getting caught up in "it's not fair". I benefit from a failed poor Oz govt drowning in debt as I need university qualified baristas and bum wipers as I approach my senior years. I would prefer though we maintain a great society and we look at Norway, NZ and other nations as to their success with high consumption taxes.

Yes, minimum wages & SW need to be adjusted to ensure an equitable social outcome is achieved.

Absolutely.

I still think fresh & basic foodstuffs should not attract any tax. Its both a health & equity consideration.

Yes, minimum wages & SW need to be adjusted to ensure an equitable social outcome is achieved.

Absolutely.

I still think fresh & basic foodstuffs should not attract any tax. Its both a health & equity consideration.

100% agree.

The devil’s trap.
Gets handed the most progressive parliamentary makeup since Whitlam, but with a primary vote sitting at 31 and losing at least one and possibly multiple ALP seats to the Greens, but with a huge chunk of the electorate also being what I would call an anti-government vote (indies, ON, UAP).

The reality is it’s probably going to be easier for the Coalition to go from 36.5>40 than it will be for Labor to go from 31-37.

To hold on in 3 years Albo cannot fall into the trap of doing everything at once despite the pressure he will come under. The Greens, the indies, the unions and drip Twitter will scream for the dismantling of OSB, mass IR reform and a fundamental reshaping of Australian society, but last night was not a mandate for Labor’s platform at all.

Interesting times.

maybe he should adopt the scomo lib/country party strategy of doing nothing....even the tax fiddles are wiped out with bracket creep so the end effect is nothing...

PS - I wasn't aware the UK & US had actually implemented wealth taxes? I know it's been floated, I didn't think it was actually in practice as yet? - Any info / links would be appreciated

The US and UK wealth taxes are in the form of death taxes. They are wealth taxes but poorly structured, as are our property taxes relating to purchases, as they require an event rather an annual basis.

The US's states tax is high but despite this, it fails to actually raise tax

However Biden is proposing a crude wealth tax being 20% levy on income for those worth over $100m. Although I support wealth taxes, they have to be better structured than this

The UK version is even worse as it although far more effective collecting tax, the threshold is way too low and smacks ordinary people

Australia needs to follow but needs to be smarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back