Anthony Albanese - How long?

How long for Albo?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They stuffed up the pandemic in a similar way to Trump.

Instead of getting on the front foot and tackling it, they did the exact opposite. Any action they took was either non-existent (quarantine), too late (vaccines) or they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to it (financial support).

Cost them big time.
People are generally pretty understanding - governments who took as much decisive action as they could have been rewarded at the ballot box and those who dithered have been punished. For the most part this has been an immutable rule across the world.

Watching the Four Corners doco on the campaign has made it sink in for me how incredibly stressful the last 6 weeks have been.
I tried not to dwell on anything while it was transpiring, because 'que sera sera... etc'...

The first week of campaigning made solely about Albo's employment rate gaffe, the second week spent with covid, the rigged 9 fairfax debate panel, newscorp gestapo waiting at every presser with gotchas... it was a seriously tough campaign for Albanese and it's a testament to the shockingly near universal ill will towards Morrison from the Australian people that the Libs performed so poorly. That, and the opposite good will from the people of WA and to a lesser extent VIC from their experiences with a Labor government in recent years.

But it was also that the Liberals are just so incredibly out of touch. Be it at a grass roots level, failing or being unable to connect to the issues that the average aussie cares about - like a living wage or climate change... then also at a macro policy level - like trying to force websites to pay for hyperlinking to Australian news sites (of which most are paywalled anyway). So out of touch. Then, almost cynically as their last attempt to secure the votes of young Australians - a brand new deal with the devil policy in which home owner ship was dangled like a carrot on a stick, using 40% of your super to pay for a deposit! That was days after Scomo said on live national TV that some jobs don't deserve minimum wage - 'it depends'. The saddest part about that policy is how it appealed to so many people, because home ownership feels so unobtainable to so many young Australians.

The Liberal Party just doesn't represent the interests of ordinary Australians any more - and that's been achieved through nothing else but the changes they've made to the country after 19 of the last 25 years in power. The Liberal Party doesn't look like Australia anymore either... though it never really has since generally all over the world you'll find that men and women make up about half of all people.

But, on the brighter side of all this...
A couple years ago, I'm not sure if it was in 2019 or 2020... me and my buddy made a bet - I said 'Labor will win the next election' - he said 'nope, torries always win'.
Years went by and our stakes of the bet grew and grew. As the country was on fire and Scotty went to Hawaii: 'torries always win' ... when he pitted the states against each other in the middle of a pandemic, when he forgot to order vaccines and rapid tests - 'tories always win' ... when they were exposed for covering sexual assaults of staffers, and the attorney general was forced to resign after credible allegations of historic r*pe came to light - 'torries always win'...
Well, torries don't always win, they just usually do - but this time they didn't... and I won $100.

Watching the Four Corners doco on the campaign has made it sink in for me how incredibly stressful the last 6 weeks have been.
I tried not to dwell on anything while it was transpiring, because 'que sera sera... etc'...

The first week of campaigning made solely about Albo's employment rate gaffe, the second week spent with covid, the rigged 9 fairfax debate panel, newscorp gestapo waiting at every presser with gotchas... it was a seriously tough campaign for Albanese and it's a testament to the shockingly near universal ill will towards Morrison from the Australian people that the Libs performed so poorly. That, and the opposite good will from the people of WA and to a lesser extent VIC from their experiences with a Labor government in recent years.

But it was also that the Liberals are just so incredibly out of touch. Be it at a grass roots level, failing or being unable to connect to the issues that the average aussie cares about - like a living wage or climate change... then also at a macro policy level - like trying to force websites to pay for hyperlinking to Australian news sites (of which most are paywalled anyway). So out of touch. Then, almost cynically as their last attempt to secure the votes of young Australians - a brand new deal with the devil policy in which home owner ship was dangled like a carrot on a stick, using 40% of your super to pay for a deposit! That was days after Scomo said on live national TV that some jobs don't deserve minimum wage - 'it depends'. The saddest part about that policy is how it appealed to so many people, because home ownership feels so unobtainable to so many young Australians.

The Liberal Party just doesn't represent the interests of ordinary Australians any more - and that's been achieved through nothing else but the changes they've made to the country after 19 of the last 25 years in power. The Liberal Party doesn't look like Australia anymore either... though it never really has since generally all over the world you'll find that men and women make up about half of all people.

But, on the brighter side of all this...
A couple years ago, I'm not sure if it was in 2019 or 2020... me and my buddy made a bet - I said 'Labor will win the next election' - he said 'nope, torries always win'.
Years went by and our stakes of the bet grew and grew. As the country was on fire and Scotty went to Hawaii: 'torries always win' ... when he pitted the states against each other in the middle of a pandemic, when he forgot to order vaccines and rapid tests - 'tories always win' ... when they were exposed for covering sexual assaults of staffers, and the attorney general was forced to resign after credible allegations of historic r*pe came to light - 'torries always win'...
Well, torries don't always win, they just usually do - but this time they didn't... and I won $100.
Pretty dumb bet, Labor were always going to win after the 2019 election.

Yikes, is the cupboard that bare?

Apparently so, there's talk of Bridget Archer as deputy in only her second term, to balance out the male and the conservative. They could do worse than her.
said in the other thread (Dutton leadership one) that Archer would give a voice to moderates and was one of the few (?only) sitting LNP member to get a swing towards her

Consumption tax is a regressive tax. Fix that & fine.

Maybe get reduce/eliminate handouts to big petroleum companies & other corporate bludgers.

Help small business.
THe options on fixing the regression of consulmption tax
  • cash rebates for low income workers + increase to jobseeker and disability pension and aged pensions
  • exepmt some categories of products (though this probably adds to compliance costs and monitoring and I think would be far less effective than the cash rebates)

The US and UK wealth taxes are in the form of death taxes. They are wealth taxes but poorly structured, as are our property taxes relating to purchases, as they require an event rather an annual basis.

The US's states tax is high but despite this, it fails to actually raise tax

However Biden is proposing a crude wealth tax being 20% levy on income for those worth over $100m. Although I support wealth taxes, they have to be better structured than this

The UK version is even worse as it although far more effective collecting tax, the threshold is way too low and smacks ordinary people

Australia needs to follow but needs to be smarter
What's with this sudden interest in domestic politics? Barely a peep from you in years and all of a sudden you're Ken Henry again, has something changed?

What's with this sudden interest in domestic politics? Barely a peep from you in years and all of a sudden you're Ken Henry again, has something changed?

Can't wait for the lecture series on the glass ceiling of property ownership..from our very own Ken Henry.

Careful what you wish for.

iCook.

If it captures any malfeasance, then why oppose it?

An ICAC is about the giving the public confidence that public monies & public officials & politicians maintain a proper standard of behaviour.

How can the Party of Bob Menzies baulk at such an issue?

The reason is, its not the same party. No wonder even Malcolm Fraser turned against the changes in the party

Scummo's blatant partisan attacks on the NSW ICAC were a disgrace.

The people, even traditional Lib voters rejected Scumo's far RW agenda.

So We'll get one anyway.

Scumo, should be the first one 'in the dock' ;)

THe options on fixing the regression of consulmption tax
  • cash rebates for low income workers + increase to jobseeker and disability pension and aged pensions
  • exepmt some categories of products (though this probably adds to compliance costs and monitoring and I think would be far less effective than the cash rebates)

I understand.

But its hard enough to get poorer families to buy fresh foods. The cheaper quality food is, the better IMHO.

Seeing a price difference is key to changing habits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand.

But its hard enough to get poorer families to buy fresh foods. The cheaper quality food is, the better IMHO.

Seeing a price difference is key to changing habits.
So combine with a fat/ sugar tax (again issues of definition and complexity although the aim is not revenue but behaviour change)

If it captures any malfeasance, then why oppose it?

An ICAC is about the giving the public confidence that public monies & public officials & politicians maintain a proper standard of behaviour.

How can the Party of Bob Menzies baulk at such an issue?

The reason is, its not the same party. No wonder even Malcolm Fraser turned against the changes in the party

Scummo's blatant partisan attacks on the NSW ICAC were a disgrace.

The people, even traditional Lib voters rejected Scumo's far RW agenda.

So We'll get one anyway.

Scumo, should be the first one 'in the dock' ;)
Must have some posters on here that have never been involved in a successful organisation. Just gone through several years of them thinking management, planning and policy development are over rated. Now - what type of circus must they work in, where there is no quality control and supervisors don’t conduct regular audits?

Managers are there to identify and solve problems, before they bankrupt the joint.

Last thing Albanese and Dutton need is cowboys ignoring policies, procedures or even worse - acting criminally. If an ICAC can pick up what their internal mechanisms have missed they will be grateful.

Last edited:
Must have some posters on here that have never been involved in a successful organisation. Just gone through several years of them thinking management, planning and policy development are over rated. Now - what type of circus must they work in, where there is no quality control and supervisors don’t conduct regular audits?

Managers are there to identify and solve problems, before they bankrupt the joint.

Last thing Albanese and Dutton need is cowboys ignoring policies, procedures or even worse - acting criminally. If an ICAC can pick up what their internal mechanisms have missed they will be grateful.

Whether political leaders are happy matters not. Its about us, the public, being happy that Politicians & Public servants have much stronger systems of accountability.

Not like the free for some, not all, Scumo led.

perhaps I have been interested in politics all the way through but the bong smoke haze may have cleared and your finally noticing things again?

It seems every time you make a statement, there is a material gap between your memory and reality. Did you have dope today or yesterday?

Just a quick search on wealth tax.......suggests you are off your head

1653367970275.png

1653367999671.png

1653367834478.png

Attachments

• 1653367892701.png
    1653367892701.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
People are generally pretty understanding - governments who took as much decisive action as they could have been rewarded at the ballot box and those who dithered have been punished. For the most part this has been an immutable rule across the world.

Of course some ( minority ) people liked the idea of doing nothing, but they voted for United who were pandering to them.

Was good to see that even the liberals were less on the nose than Craig Kelly.

Of course some ( minority ) people liked the idea of doing nothing, but they voted for United who were pandering to them.

Was good to see that even the liberals were less on the nose than Craig Kelly.

Fatty Palmer did a cold $100mil on his self indulgent BS. WOWEE!!!!!!!!! :D

Looks like Tubby Kelly might have to get back to the normal world now. God knows what a failed furniture salesman/failed UAP polly might do for a job?

Suggestions anyone? (If you can be fkd) :)

Fatty Palmer did a cold $100mil on his self indulgent BS. WOWEE!!!!!!!!! :D

Looks like Tubby Kelly might have to get back to the normal world now. God knows what a failed furniture salesman/failed UAP polly might do for a job?

Suggestions anyone? (If you can be fkd) :)

The Craig Kelly Hour on Sky, right after cheeseburger....because, according to Sky, the Libs lost for not going further to the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back