Anthony Albanese - How long?

How long for Albo?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see an actual leader with capability to talk diplomatically. You think Australia would be getting this meeting with Mr Potato Head in charge?:

With all the Manchurian candidate rubbish Spud came up with during the campaign I assume he doubles down here or shuts the f*** up. Either he's backed himself into this corner, it's what happens when you governed like you were never going to be in opposition again.

I agree that the tax cuts need to be modified (at least keep the top bracket at 180k) but there are a few reasons why people will oppose changes to the cuts (apart from greed):
1) it was a promise (not that important a reason, I think people know pollies from both major parties lie to win elections)
2)Why not cut waste in govt first (there is lots of waste but they always seem to cut services and create more waste through bureaucracy and out sourcing and pollies keep getting insane perks) - My answer is we need to do both.
3) Why should we pay more in tax, why not stop the actual rich dodging the system?
4) If we can't afford to cut taxes for Australians, how can we spend more money on foreigners such as increasing refugee intake etc

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
or instead of tax cuts, return money to people as a flat dollar amount. This will proportionately benefit those most need more than the already high income earner. Don't bother with means testing, or use simple rule of "as long as you aren't paying div 293 you get it" (means testing often is extra administration expense)

or instead of tax cuts, return money to people as a flat dollar amount. This will proportionately benefit those most need more than the already high income earner. Don't bother with means testing, or use simple rule of "as long as you aren't paying div 293 you get it" (means testing often is extra administration expense)
stop fiddling at the edges. what is needed is a gov't with the guts to:

1. stop the rorts in negative gearing. even my accountant who is bluer-than-blue agrees with this.

2. bring back an inheritance tax for estates over, say, $3m

3. a windfall tax

4. large companies to pay tax. and/or stop avoiding it.

5. abolition of franking credits for peeps who pay no tax. this was the case until little johnny during the ‘rivers of gold’ changed it. a period when we should have been future proofing the economy.

6. tighten the pension eligibility guidelines so those with hundreds of thousands in savings - excluding the principal place of residence - aren’t eligible.

1. stop the rorts in negative gearing. even my accountant who is bluer-than-blue agrees with this.

3. a windfall tax

5. abolition of franking credits for peeps who pay no tax. this was the case until little johnny during the ‘rivers of gold’ changed it. a period when we should have been future proofing the economy.

6. tighten the pension eligibility guidelines so those with hundreds of thousands in savings - excluding the principal place of residence - aren’t eligible.
All the above are fantastic and I would bet my bottom dollar that there are very, very many people within the Parliamentary Labor Party, as well as a s**t load of the rank and file that agree with all of the things you have said but the ALP in Government also understand, that to try and implement all these things toot suit, would mean electoral anihilation.

The important thing is to be and remain in Parliament in order to implement these measures. Of course this does not mean that you do these things at a snail's crawl but they must be introduced in a manner that doesn't scare the hell out of the electorate and that necessarily means, one big thing at a time.

We are currently witnessing the right wing, status quo mouthpieces when it comes to the anti-labour forces freaking out about the proposed, sensible changes to industrial relations. It has flushed out the "Teals" for who they really are - the Liberal Party in sheeps clothing. Fancy being opposed to paying a person who does the same thing in one business as another person doing the same thing in another same type of business? Fancy saying that the rights of one person in a particular sector of business should be different to anothers' in the same sector because the business can't afford to pay the correct/same amount of wages and implament the same conditions? The answer to that is that if a business can't afford to pay and offer the same conditions to an employee, then they should not be in business - get out of the way and let proper businesses operate.

I saw on the Insiders on the weekend a cartoon with someone in the business community holding up a placard saying saying, "WEARE THE WORKPLACE, YOU ARE THE BARGAIN" and I reckon that says it all.

Lets get this one out of the way and move onto the next one.

3. a windfall tax

Yep, but people have been encouraged to focus on their hip pocket so all these great initiatives will be hard to bring in.

knowing the volatility of Australian politics, I can't imagine it'll be too long before someone else comes along. Although he's doing a solid job so far- 2 terms even sounds like a stretch to me

knowing the volatility of Australian politics, I can't imagine it'll be too long before someone else comes along. Although he's doing a solid job so far- 2 terms even sounds like a stretch to me
Except that both Labor and Libs have tightened their leadership challenge rules considerably in recent years, so we're unlikely to see any more of that nonsense unless a sitting leader is particularly disastrous.

Except that both Labor and Libs have tightened their leadership challenge rules considerably in recent years, so we're unlikely to see any more of that nonsense unless a sitting leader is particularly disastrous.
ah that is good news, glad to hear none of that ScoMo induction method bs is still on the table

Yep, but people have been encouraged to focus on their hip pocket so all these great initiatives will be hard to bring in.
You'd think that #4 wouldn't be too unpopular among the general population.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll tell you what, when Albo and the ALP win their 3rd term, we'll meet in a pub in Adelaide somewhere and you'll buy me a beer. If it doesn't happen, I'll buy you a beer. How's that?

All the above are fantastic and I would bet my bottom dollar that there are very, very many people within the Parliamentary Labor Party, as well as a s**t load of the rank and file that agree with all of the things you have said but the ALP in Government also understand, that to try and implement all these things toot suit, would mean electoral anihilation.

The important thing is to be and remain in Parliament in order to implement these measures. Of course this does not mean that you do these things at a snail's crawl but they must be introduced in a manner that doesn't scare the hell out of the electorate and that necessarily means, one big thing at a time.

We are currently witnessing the right wing, status quo mouthpieces when it comes to the anti-labour forces freaking out about the proposed, sensible changes to industrial relations. It has flushed out the "Teals" for who they really are - the Liberal Party in sheeps clothing. Fancy being opposed to paying a person who does the same thing in one business as another person doing the same thing in another same type of business? Fancy saying that the rights of one person in a particular sector of business should be different to anothers' in the same sector because the business can't afford to pay the correct/same amount of wages and implament the same conditions? The answer to that is that if a business can't afford to pay and offer the same conditions to an employee, then they should not be in business - get out of the way and let proper businesses operate.

I saw on the Insiders on the weekend a cartoon with someone in the business community holding up a placard saying saying, "WEARE THE WORKPLACE, YOU ARE THE BARGAIN" and I reckon that says it all.

Lets get this one out of the way and move onto the next one.
Just on the "paying people the same" we have issues where people perform the same role but because they came to the role from different pathways (allied health vs nursing) they are paid different amounts

314380419_10160139843399931_215176958805107661_n.jpg

Leaders of 2 democratic nations involved in discussions, this is newsworthy why exactly?
It's newsworthy because she's a fascist and Albo has a big smile on his face.

She has endorsed the Great Replacement, a white nationalist conspiracy theory.[202][226] She also believes there is a planned mass migration from Africa to Europe for the purpose of replacing and eliminating Italians, an antisemitic, white genocide, and far-right conspiracy theory known as the Kalergi Plan.[227][228][229] She has described pro-immigration policies as part of an alleged left-wing conspiracy to "replace Italians with immigrants".[206] In January 2017, she called immigration to Italy "ethnic substitution"

Last edited:
It's newsworthy because she's a fascist and Albo has a big smile on his face.

She has endorsed the Great Replacement, a white nationalist conspiracy theory.[202][226] She also believes there is a planned mass migration from Africa to Europe for the purpose of replacing and eliminating Italians, an antisemitic, white genocide, and far-right conspiracy theory known as the Kalergi Plan.[227][228][229] She has described pro-immigration policies as part of an alleged left-wing conspiracy to "replace Italians with immigrants".[206] In January 2017, she called immigration to Italy "ethnic substitution"
Bloody hell... So diversity of views isn't important in geo-political affairs? Should we just approach every conversation with someone who's views we disagree with in a manner that is full of fire and brimstone? Are we only ever allowed to scowl with indignant condemnation?

I'm by no means Albanese's biggest fan, but to try and pot a bloke for simply doing his job just beggars belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back