• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching Insiders this morning provided a little bit more info on staffing of for backbenchers.

Independents get at least one staff which was the norm until Turnbull gave Cathy McGowan 3, then Morrison gave Craig Kelly 4;).
Mark butler when in opposition had 2. Staffers weren't the same for everyone.

They are increasing resources in government library so they can do research there.

Not sure 4 is need maybe two? Across all backbenchers.

I don't have an issue with making it fairer.
Correct, crossbenchers had more staffers than government, which doesn’t seem right. Still not a great move politically, given he needs them, but a smaller cut would seem appropriate.

Maggie5

Apr 3, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Correct, crossbenchers had more staffers than government, which doesn’t seem right. Still not a great move politically, given he needs them, but a smaller cut would seem appropriate.
Agree, also thank for typing 'crossbenchers' that is who I meant instead of my typing 'backbenchers'.

That is why I thought maybe 2, one for general office management and one other for research.

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If the cross benchers want to tell us they need the same sort of help Craig Kelly had then that's up to them.

Donakebab

Premium Gold
May 18, 2009
Tempy Pub
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Watching Insiders this morning provided a little bit more info on staffing of for backbenchers.

Independents get at least one staff which was the norm until Turnbull gave Cathy McGowan 3, then Morrison gave Craig Kelly 4;).

They are increasing resources in government library so they can do research there.

I would be happy with crossbenchers who take on additional work, such as sitting on Parliamentary committee's or senate estimates, no issue with them getting an extra staffer, but they should not be getting more than members on the outer ministry or the shadow cabinet.

I should add it needs to be proper work, not like Hansen showing up late to a hearing, asking one useless question and then leaving.

Johnny Bananas

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 10, 2010
A sugar refinery
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

One of the findings of the Jenkins review was that the lack of staff had contributed to poor workplace culture and burnout in parliamentary offices. So I'm not sure drastic cuts would have good effects.

What people are also ignoring is that major parties have armies of staffers to carry out research into the potential consequences of legislation, but the smaller players don't have that luxury. They need full-time staff.

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Gates' Payroll
AFL Club
Carlton
We are not America, there’s no appetite for those kinds of laws here in Australia. No point telling America they are a shitshow for no good reason.
Oh there SOOOOO is. And if there isn't enough interest to drive voting, they will agitate until they whip up hysteria*. This is the objective of the conservative media.

Yes, I know :)

Home Alone

Senior List
Apr 28, 2006
I get to vote on Josh Frydenberg's future
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Lets see how it works out. While I am all in favour of a larger and diversified cross bench, I am not sure that multiple staffers reviewing the same legislation is the best use of resources. I realise that they are Independents and as such shouldn't be pooling the resources.

Maggie5

Apr 3, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lets see how it works out. While I am all in favour of a larger and diversified cross bench, I am not sure that multiple staffers reviewing the same legislation is the best use of resources. I realise that they are Independents and as such shouldn't be pooling the resources.
On the other hand a Shadow Minister (Mark Butler) having 2 and someone like Craig Kelly 4 is not right either.

SBD Gonzalez

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
We are not America, there’s no appetite for those kinds of laws here in Australia. No point telling America they are a shitshow for no good reason.
We are not America but there is no denying that anything big that happens there has a ripple effect here, and there is also no denying that plenty of hard-right wing Christians here are doing their darndest to make Australia more like their vision of America. And with some success, sadly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gralin

Super Moderator
Apr 8, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Why the feck does he need to comment on domestic US politics? Place is a shitshow and none our business.
Two reasons
If you actually uphold those values and stay silent on this your values aren't worth s**t
We need commitment that he would stand against it here too

We only reached national decriminalisation of abortion last year when South Australia finally joined the party.

And that doesn't mean that people can access it, just that they might be able to

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Two reasons
If you actually uphold those values and stay silent on this your values aren't worth s**t
We need commitment that he would stand against it here too

We only reached national decriminalisation of abortion last year when South Australia finally joined the party.

And that doesn't mean that people can access it, just that they might be able to
Australians commenting on US politics have NO effect in the US.

Australians seeking to USE US politics for their own purposes are transparent.